The Student Room Group

Is it possible to get an offer from Cambridge without attending the interview?

-------------------------
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's highly unlikely they give a place without interview, because interview weighs quite a lot on Cambridge applications, 80% of those who apply are given an interview. It's harder for them to just judge you on paper. I'd say it's worth trying to invest or raise funds for the trip, borrow from friends and family? It's a chance of a lifetime, you won't regret it. It's also a chance for you to have a look at the college and the beautiful sights around the area. I've personally never heard of anyone getting in without an interview. Maybe unless they were so amazing that it was conditional, their grades were full marks and personal statement and reference was amazing etc.

Good luck anyways :wink:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by sunnyyiu627
I am an international student from Hong Kong and I apply to read economics at King's college. Since I can't afford the cost to travel to Cambridge for interview, I chose to have my interview in Hong kong. However, I received this email yesterday.

"Many thanks for your application to King's. I am afraid that we are not able to interview you in Hong Kong. I notice that on your application, you indicated that you are not available to travel to Cambridge for interview. We are therefore considering your application on paper and we will write to you in January with the outcome of your application"

Actually, I am quite concerned of my real chance of getting into Cambridge now. I think that Cambridge won't easily give out offer to a guy whom they haven't met before. Is it really possible for me to get the offer ? Did anyone get an offer from Cambridge without attending the interview before?

I'm afraid it means you are not going to get an offer. If you suddenly turned round and said you could get to Cambridge they would still interview you but I suspect this means you are not a strong candidate if they offer other people HK Economics interviews.
They never give offers for competitive subjects (or indeed any as far as I know) without interview.
Reply 3
Sigh, I'm an U.S. applicant for Computer Science and my parents won't let me go-I'm severely disappointed TT Maybe I'm just being pessimistic, but I think there is only cold comfort for us :/
Original post by Parhelion
Sigh, I'm an U.S. applicant for Computer Science and my parents won't let me go-I'm severely disappointed TT Maybe I'm just being pessimistic, but I think there is only cold comfort for us :/

I am an international student from Hong Kong and I apply to read economics at King's college. Since I can't afford the cost to travel to Cambridge for interview, I chose to have my interview in Hong kong. However, I received this email yesterday.

"Many thanks for your application to King's. I am afraid that we are not able to interview you in Hong Kong. I notice that on your application, you indicated that you are not available to travel to Cambridge for interview. We are therefore considering your application on paper and we will write to you in January with the outcome of your application"

Actually, I am quite concerned of my real chance of getting into Cambridge now. I think that Cambridge won't easily give out offer to a guy whom they haven't met before. Is it really possible for me to get the offer ? Did anyone get an offer from Cambridge without attending the interview before?

Extremely unlikely without an interview. However, in both these cases, why aren't you being offered Skype or Phone interviews? I thought this was standard protocols for non-EU nationals?
Reply 5
Original post by Chlorophile
Extremely unlikely without an interview. However, in both these cases, why aren't you being offered Skype or Phone interviews? I thought this was standard protocols for non-EU nationals?

I emailed several colleges about it actually, before submitting my application. However, the few I asked did not do Skype or other forms of long distance interviews, including King's :frown:
Cambridge did send me a letter to invite me to their UK interview sessions. Unfortunately, I really can't attend the interview. My parents won't support me to travel oversea for interview( the air tickets are so expensive) and I will be having my final exam at that time too.
Guys, I really think you should write back that you understand the interview forms an important part of assessment and wouldn't want your application to be jeopardised because if this, and that you'd be happy to skype interview etc.
My ex boyfriend had a Skype interview?
Reply 9
Here's part of an email King's sent me:
"Because meeting and talking to you face-to-face is such an important part of our admissions process and because of the number of applications we receive, I am afraid that it is not possible to provide interviews either by telephone or by Skype at King's."
Granted, this was before the offer, but I don't think rejecting their offer and asking the same question again would be polite :/

Hi there,

I was an international school student from HK as well, though I graduated last year. I'm on a gap year this year.

Anyways, I just want to point out that I had four friends, two who applied to Oxford and two to Cambridge, who flew over to the respective places for interview. The interview dates also clashed with our school exams, and so they were permitted to take them all either before or after their interview. If you can convince your parents to let you fly over there, then you can request to take your exams at a different time.

Hope you can work things out.
Original post by joker12345
Guys, I really think you should write back that you understand the interview forms an important part of assessment and wouldn't want your application to be jeopardised because if this, and that you'd be happy to skype interview etc.

I can imagine skype or phone works for some Arts interviews in less competitive subjects but I can't see how they would work for subjects where maths problems and seeing people work through problems on paper are such a part of the interview.

Given that people get rejected every year despite very high marks in past exams I don't think it would be fair to dispense with the requirement for anybody who felt it was too expensive. I guess they may feel if you can't afford commit to do the interview you may not be that committed or can't afford to spend three years in Cambridge paying international fees with travel to & fro home six times a year.
Reply 13
Cambridge did send me a letter to invite me to their UK interview sessions. Unfortunately, I really can't attend the interview. My parents won't support me to travel oversea for interview( the air tickets are so expensive) and I will be having my final exam at that time too.

If King's has given you in the first place an invitation to do interview in Cambridge (instead of Hong Kong as you requested in your application form, which is a very good sign by the way), but you later turned it down, I think you don't have any hope at all. Sorry.
Original post by wmsinr
If King's has given you in the first place an invitation to do interview in Cambridge (instead of Hong Kong as you requested in your application form, which is a very good sign by the way), but you later turned it down, I think you don't have any hope at all. Sorry.

I didn't turn it down. They found that they had made a mistake that they forgot the request in my application form. They then sent me an email to tell me that they will judge my application on paper.
Well, whatever happens, good luck! :smile:
Cambridge interviews in Australia, Canada,China, Hong Kong, Malaysia and Singapore.

If for some reason they can't now interview you in HK, would any of the other overseas venues be possible for you, for example China?
Original post by Colmans
I'm afraid it means you are not going to get an offer. If you suddenly turned round and said you could get to Cambridge they would still interview you but I suspect this means you are not a strong candidate if they offer other people HK Economics interviews.
They never give offers for competitive subjects (or indeed any as far as I know) without interview.

Are you sure about this? For example, Trinity state "If you are unable to attend for interview in Cambridge, your application will be given full consideration by our Admissions Officers and we shall let you have our decision in January.", which certainly doesn't imply a definite rejection.
Xx
(edited 9 years ago)
I never met anybody who hadn't had an interview, nor I have seen anybody on TSRm
claim to have a place without interview but I accept that seems ambiguous. I guess if your paper application is so good that even if you bombed the interview you would still get a place then maybe it happens. But that would probably only apply to the 44-45 after completed IB ( not just predicted) or the average UMS in the 98-100% range or the S,1 at STEP type candidates.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending