The Student Room Group

People who bemoan open sexuality - is it just envy?

There are some who critique open sexuality due to religion, but I think the majority of people do so out of envy. They see others getting dates/sex, and they're too uptight to either make themselves more attractive, or accept their lot.....

Is this true of many people, I tend to believe it is.

Scroll to see replies

I think so. I think a great deal of the "slut shaming" that currently goes on is because some people just aren't getting any.
Reply 2
Original post by dean.stanston
There are some who critique open sexuality due to religion, but I think the majority of people do so out of envy. They see others getting dates/sex, and they're too uptight to either make themselves more attractive, or accept their lot.....

If you're gay, you're gay. I don't really care. The only part I don't like is those who shove it down your throat
Original post by dean.stanston

There are always people who are afraid of those who are different to them, and of people who for whatever reason do not make sense to them. While it may sound like I'm quoting Yoda or something, in many cases, that fear leads to an irrational, prejudiced anger. I think that is the prime mover behind most homophobia, although envy may play a role too.
What do you mean by "open sexuality"? People doing sexual stuff is fine (obviously), but the idea of "open relationships" where you are together, but have sex with other people, literally disgusts me, either have a **** buddy or be loyal completely.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
There are always people who are afraid of those who are different to them, and of people who for whatever reason do not make sense to them. While it may sound like I'm quoting Yoda or something, in many cases, that fear leads to an irrational, prejudiced anger. I think that is the prime mover behind most homophobia, although envy may play a role too.

I'm not talking about gayness. But about sexual openness (or not thinking sexuality is wrong).
Original post by Andy98
If you're gay, you're gay. I don't really care. The only part I don't like is those who shove it down your throat

Hehe, phrasing...
Reply 7
Original post by Harvey Dent
Hehe, phrasing...

:colone:

What if I told you it was intentional?
Reply 8
Original post by Andy98

Don't think this is a debate regarding sexuality in that sense - more like girls/boys who sleep around.
Reply 9
Original post by Mackay
Don't think this is a debate regarding sexuality in that sense - more like girls/boys who sleep around.

Oh fair enough. In that case: I don't really care - I might take the mick a bit

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yo radical one
What do you mean by "open sexuality"? People doing sexual stuff is fine (obviously), but the idea of "open relationships" where you are together, but have sex with other people, literally disgusts me, either have a **** buddy or be loyal completely.

"Eww" is not a very erudite justification for your opinion.

Poly relationships aren't very common, so they're often quite misunderstood. Fidelity is a social construct that is entirely optional. Convention says that when you're with someone, you never cheat on them. And indeed, that's true to all relationships, mono and poly. The difference is that where there is consent, dating or sleeping with someone else is not cheating. Cheating revolves around lies and deceit. If you're not lying or deceiving, then you're not cheating. Poly couples negotiate and set boundaries for their relationships and trust each other to not go beyond what they agree. If they do, that's cheating, but if not, that's fine.

While it may not be for you, don't demean people that have polyamorous relationships, because they're doing nothing wrong.
I can't speak for everyone who berates open sexuality or sexual acts but the people I know who have a stance against it seem to be just uncomfortable with it, or the idea of it. They've been raised in a very "normal" or sheltered environment where they're not really exposed to prolific open sexuality non-straight relationships and aren't used to it. I'd image most people are in that position (myself included) but I've been raised not to care what other people do, and open sexuality comes under that umbrella of indifference. That said, I'm indifferent until you start stepping on my toes about your sexuality and become preachy about how we should become more accepting or tolerant.
Original post by Mad Vlad

Poly relationships aren't very common, so they're often quite misunderstood. Fidelity is a social construct that is entirely optional. Convention says that when you're with someone, you never cheat on them. And indeed, that's true to all relationships, mono and poly. The difference is that where there is consent, dating or sleeping with someone else is not cheating. Cheating revolves around lies and deceit. If you're not lying or deceiving, then you're not cheating. Poly couples negotiate and set boundaries for their relationships and trust each other to not go beyond what they agree. If they do, that's cheating, but if not, that's fine.

While it may not be for you, don't demean people that have polyamorous relationships, because they're doing nothing wrong.

I have every right to judge other people for the choices they make, if I go up to someone in a poly relationship and physically assault him, then sure, you can complain, but I can say and think whatever I so desire.
Alan heads back to his hotel room after booking his spot at the Christmas dinner. He overhears Ben and Sophie kissing at reception:

Sophie: [Gives Ben a kiss, Alan is listening in the lift] Why don’t you come round the back?
Ben: Round the back?
Sophie: Yeah. It’s quiet. Come on, fifteen minutes.
Ben: All right, fifteen minutes. [Alan decides to vacate the lift]
Alan: Err, Ben?
Ben: Yeah?
Alan: Could I have a sandwich, please?
Ben: Yeah, sure.
Alan: Cheese, cheese sandwich.
Ben: Right, ok.
Alan: And cooked meat. And a hot egg. And a crescent of crisps, please. And a side clump of cress.
Ben: Right. And you want that now?
Alan: Nar, no, no. Any time. Any time in the next fifteen minutes.

Alan: [Alan, all smug, heads back to the lift] Oooh it gets dark, it gets lonely.
Reply 14

Don't you think humans are too naturally jealous of one another to ever have a full polygamous society? It's a natural facet of nature that certain creatures have more than one mate, but in an integrated human civilization it would either work perfectly or be a complete disaster.
I have every right to judge other people for the choices they make, if I go up to someone in a poly relationship and physically assault him, then sure, you can complain, but I can say and think whatever I so desire.

This will save me the time of composing a futile response: http://xkcd.com/1357/
Original post by Evening
Don't you think humans are too naturally jealous of one another to ever have a full polygamous society? It's a natural facet of nature that certain creatures have more than one mate, but in an integrated human civilization it would either work perfectly or be a complete disaster.

I don't think poly relationships are for everyone, no.
This will save me the time of composing a futile response: http://xkcd.com/1357/

But lots of people agree with me that open relationships are sleazy and nasty and usually involve one party being emotionally hurt :wink:
But lots of people agree with me that open relationships are sleazy and nasty and usually involve one party being emotionally hurt :wink:

Doesn't make you right, though.

Loyalty and sexual fidelity are not necessarily the same thing for all relationships.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending