The Student Room Group

Can I get into UCL?

Okay so I study English Literature, Sociology and Media Studies and got A's for them all at AS. Since I've only done 3 AS's, I'm also doing the EPQ, which I've been predicted a B in.

I'm now predicted AAA(B) at A2, and my GCSE grades are only A's and B's.

Could I get in to applying for English at UCL? Or is it a long shot?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tellmeimmageek
Okay so I study English Literature, Sociology and Media Studies and got A's for them all at AS. Since I've only done 3 AS's, I'm also doing the EPQ, which I've been predicted a B in.

I'm now predicted AAA(B) at A2, and my GCSE grades are only A's and B's.

Could I get in to applying for English at UCL? Or is it a long shot?

Are you sure UCL accepts the EPQ as an AS equivalent?
Reply 2
I would recommend looking at this page
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Ucl_applicants_2014_stalking_page

Sort it at the top so that you only see offer holders, then compare their GCSEs, AS etc to yours.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I'd go visit before you apply and see how you like it. It might depend on where you're from but I found UCL not what I looked for in a Uni, it may be because I'm northern with a very regional accent but I just felt out of place and looked down on. I'd definitely visit before deciding to use up one of your options.
Original post by aleea03
I'd go visit before you apply and see how you like it. It might depend on where you're from but I found UCL not what I looked for in a Uni, it may be because I'm northern with a very regional accent but I just felt out of place and looked down on. I'd definitely visit before deciding to use up one of your options.

I have actually visited UCL quite a few times, for masterclasses and things. I actually liked it quite a lot, and I really do see myself going there. That's why I'm just so determined to apply! :smile:
Original post by prowster
I would recommend looking at this page
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Ucl_applicants_2014_stalking_page

Sort it at the top so that you only see offer holders, then compare their GCSEs, AS etc to yours.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That was really helpful, thanks prowster. But it was also a bit discouraging. I have no A*s at GCSE and I think that it's going to be a disadvantage for me...
Reply 6
I have actually visited UCL quite a few times, for masterclasses and things. I actually liked it quite a lot, and I really do see myself going there. That's why I'm just so determined to apply! :smile:

then absolutely go for it :smile: you've got nothing to lose!!
Original post by Chlorophile
Are you sure UCL accepts the EPQ as an AS equivalent?

They definitely accept the EPQ as a further pass.
They definitely accept the EPQ as a further pass.

Then I think it's possible. You've only got one facilitating subject which will count against you but I definitely think you've got a chance.
Original post by Chlorophile
Then I think it's possible. You've only got one facilitating subject which will count against you but I definitely think you've got a chance.

Yeah, Media Studies is a non-traditional subject and I should've switched a LONG time ago I regret it so much! But UCL say that you need at least 2 traditional subjects in order to be considered. I'm literally just about making it into their criteria! :P
Yeah, Media Studies is a non-traditional subject and I should've switched a LONG time ago I regret it so much! But UCL say that you need at least 2 traditional subjects in order to be considered. I'm literally just about making it into their criteria! :P

I'm afraid sociology isn't regarded as a traditional subject either, so you've actually only got one. By all means have UCL as your aspirational choice, but honesty compels me to say I think it is a very long shot.
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
I'm afraid sociology isn't regarded as a traditional subject either, so you've actually only got one. By all means have UCL as your aspirational choice, but honesty compels me to say I think it is a very long shot.

The UCL website have Sociology and English down on their list of preferred A Levels, though. So I assumed that this would be okay?
The UCL website have Sociology and English down on their list of preferred A Levels, though. So I assumed that this would be okay?

Do they? I am surprised. I go off the Informed Choices list from the Russell Group, but if UCL have listed it, I stand corrected. I'm afraid I still think it's a long shot, but I wish you luck with it. Do you have the GCSE foreign language requirement?
There are about 70 subjects listed in their table of preferred subjects including ones such as Drama and Theatre studies. I too, would not class sociology as a traditional subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Do they? I am surprised. I go off the Informed Choices list from the Russell Group, but if UCL have listed it, I stand corrected. I'm afraid I still think it's a long shot, but I wish you luck with it. Do you have the GCSE foreign language requirement?

I have an A in GCSE French
I have an A in GCSE French

Good. I'm sure that will help. I wish you luck, then.
Oh okay, that's fine then. I'll still give it a shot, though. But I doubt it's going to get me anywhere :P
Thanks so much for your advice! :smile:
Original post by aleea03

can you tell me more on how you were looked down upon for being northern? Maybe cos I have a few northern people in my classes at LSE but they're very posh!

can you link me to their preferred a levels link?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending