The Student Room Group

Love computer science - but find it REALLY hard to program?

Hey,

Over the past few months i have being trying my hardest to learn to program in languages such as java and python, and i seriously can't understand niether languages?

I'm doing an AS level in computer science currently, and i love the theory side of the whole subject (where you learn about databases, computer architecture, etc) but i can't get to grips with programming, not even in a simple language such as python on codecademy! :s-smilie:

What should I do?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Killerpenguin15
Hey,

Over the past few months i have being trying my hardest to learn to program in languages such as java and python, and i seriously can't understand niether languages?

I'm doing an AS level in computer science currently, and i love the theory side of the whole subject (where you learn about databases, computer architecture, etc) but i can't get to grips with programming, not even in a simple language such as python on codecademy! :s-smilie:

What should I do?

Computer Science, as far as I know, isn't really about programming. Fundamentally, Computer Science is a branch of Mathematics. If you're very good at maths and you like logic-y problems, you'll be fine.
Original post by Chlorophile
Computer Science, as far as I know, isn't really about programming. Fundamentally, Computer Science is a branch of Mathematics. If you're very good at maths and you like logic-y problems, you'll be fine.

Thanks for clarifying!

I'm taking mathematics at AS level too, so I should be fine.
I was in the same boat at one point. Just keep at it; I'm still definitely no programming mastermind but after a lot of practice and also after Computing AS (AQA) I'm more confident in what I can make. Chlorophile is right, though if you wanna pursue this as a career in anything other than academia/teaching, you'll need to get to grips with coding eventually.

The internet's full of resources and I'm sure you'll find one that clicks with you soon enough. Also, I recently found a youtube channel "Computerphile" who do videos on both theory and applied CompSci. They won't teach you to code but it sounds like something you might enjoy - I sure do, anyway.

Best of luck :smile:
Original post by Rifleboy123
I was in the same boat at one point. Just keep at it; I'm still definitely no programming mastermind but after a lot of practice and also after Computing AS (AQA) I'm more confident in what I can make. Chlorophile is right, though if you wanna pursue this as a career in anything other than academia/teaching, you'll need to get to grips with coding eventually.

The internet's full of resources and I'm sure you'll find one that clicks with you soon enough. Also, I recently found a youtube channel "Computerphile" who do videos on both theory and applied CompSci. They won't teach you to code but it sounds like something you might enjoy - I sure do, anyway.

Best of luck :smile:

I happen to enjoy computing too :biggrin: though im on the WJEC exam board :rolleyes: so there really isn't much or anything to go by for resources to help me with my independant study, but i will check out 'computerphile' on youtube though!
(edited 9 years ago)
Hey,

What should I do?

Seriously, what's so difficult to understand about this: print "Hello OP, why u no understand me?"
Reply 6
every problem's easy to solve, it's just that some of them require more time

just keep on learnring, it'll come to you
Computer Science isn't just programming based, so if you enjoy the rest of the content, you can still do well :h:

But for programming it might well just be a case of sticking with it - is there something specific you struggle with?
Reply 8
Hey,

What should I do?

Hi, I'm sort of similar I much prefer learning about theory of hardware and its application with software but I can sometimes find actual programming difficult and very very stressful, I am currently in my first year of my compsci degree and its very much programming based, if you want a good way to learn start with something simple and procedural like pascal and then move onto the more complicated languages like Java and the concepts of OOP, I think most universities teach java now, if you want a good book to read get the 'SAMS Teach Yourself Java in 24 hours' it will pretty much cover what you learn in your first term at university, out of interest what language are you learning in your AS?
Reply 9
Thanks for clarifying!

I'm taking mathematics at AS level too, so I should be fine.

Mate I'm a first year computer science student at university. And while there is a logic aspect to it, it has been predominately programming based. Just thought I'll add that In.
Original post by yt7777
Hi, I'm sort of similar I much prefer learning about theory of hardware and its application with software but I can sometimes find actual programming difficult and very very stressful, I am currently in my first year of my compsci degree and its very much programming based, if you want a good way to learn start with something simple and procedural like pascal and then move onto the more complicated languages like Java and the concepts of OOP, I think most universities teach java now, if you want a good book to read get the 'SAMS Teach Yourself Java in 24 hours' it will pretty much cover what you learn in your first term at university, out of interest what language are you learning in your AS?

Hi, off topic, but I was wondering which uni you go to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Heartland
Hi, off topic, but I was wondering which uni you go to?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha no worries, I'm at Royal Holloway
Original post by yt7777
Haha no worries, I'm at Royal Holloway

Ah ok. What did you need to get in there?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey,

What should I do?

If I were you I'd start learning in a simpler language such as Visual Basic. It'll help you to become familiar with programming in general and when you're ready you can step up to something slightly more advanced like Java.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Heartland
Ah ok. What did you need to get in there?

Posted from TSR Mobile

the A level offer is ABB - inc. Maths or Physics or Computing

I did an Extended Diploma and needed:

Dist/Dist/Dist (equiv to AAA) - with significant programming/computing content + GCSE Maths at least grade B
Reply 15
Hey I'm actually going GCSE computer science and and don't completely get the programming part either. Were doing python right now btw. I was hoping to take computing for a-levels but is it very programming based?.. because I do struggle with that. Right now my teacher literally does it for us rather than explain it so I'm doing ok but that might not be the case in A-level so not sure if i should take it...

And also all those that did computing for a-level what other subjects did you take?

Reply 16
Hey there. :smile:

I enjoy programming a lot and would be more than happy to help you with any problems you might be having, particularly in Python. I'm not a pro but I'd still be happy to help. Just send a PM with any problems!
Reply 17
Original post by Hariex

I enjoy programming a lot and would be more than happy to help you with any problems you might be having, particularly in Python. I'm not a pro but I'd still be happy to help. Just send a PM with any problems!

Hi :smile: wow that would be so helpful!
I'll definitely remember next time im having problems
Thank you :bigsmile:
Python and Java are good languages, and I'd say that python is probably the easier of the two to learn.

I would recommend starting a tiny project revolving around something that interests you.

Even if you have to Google something every time you get stuck, you will be learning. In no time you will have learnt a lot of the standard library and you will be fine!

Edit: removed stupidity
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Hariex

I'm happy to help too(professional developer), don't pm though post the problem as a topic in the development forum.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending