The Student Room Group

Whats the most stupid rule your school has?

For me, to stand up when a head of department enters the classroom...I'm in sixth-form and it disrupts my thinking during maths lessons!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jgco2chem
For me, to stand up when a head of department enters the classroom...I'm in sixth-form and it disrupts my thinking during maths lessons!

Yeah that was quite stupid....

When I was at school (a couple of years ago) they were strict with their uniform policy, even in Post 16... didn't like it, but tolerated it :wink:
Not allowed to dye your hair :l
our sixth form has a flexible uniform policy, but they say 'if you can see up it, down it, or through it, it's not allowed'

gutted mate
(edited 9 years ago)
i don't go to school
Teachers holding whole classes back for detention, even those who were behaving and doing the work. When questioned the teachers argued "the good pupils will put pressure on the bad ones to start behaving" - utter stupidity and it never worked. I wish I'd just walked out when I got caught up in them, I was always one of the well behaved ones. How teachers thought people like me could pressure the chavs to keep quiet I don't know.

Then there was the changes to uniform. We had to wear clip on ties. It was a bully's wet dream. People would pull someone's tie off and run off with it, I had mine stolen once or twice.
Apparently the school now puts people in isolation if they don't have a tie and can't get their parents to bring it in. There might be more to it than that (and I hope there is) but I do wonder if some pupils end up in there basically for being the victim of bullying.
At my school, you're not allowed to wear a jumper unless you wear a smart jacket over the top. You're also not allowed to wear cardigans or boots. Pretty ridiculous really.
My primary introduced 'pen licences'. Basically you couldn't have a pen unless you passed a handwriting test. So despite being a clever young man I was forced to use a pencil due to my scruffy writing.

It never did improve :lol:
We had to have a certain amount of stripes on our ties. And our top buttons on our shirts had to be done up.
6 bars on your tie. At one point the deputy head made an acrylic model of the ideal tie length and stopped students to measure to see if it met standard. Crazy.

No running on the playground was another delightful rule. "Hard standing area" they called it.
Original post by nixonsjellybeans
My primary introduced 'pen licences'. Basically you couldn't have a pen unless you passed a handwriting test. So despite being a clever young man I was forced to use a pencil due to my scruffy writing.

But pencils smudge more no? I always found my handwriting worse with pencils
In PE we weren't allowed to use the showers unless you were with someone so I didn't bother in case a big gay orgy of 13-14 years kicked out plus I didn't want people to see my dingle.
Original post by paniking_and_not_revising
But pencils smudge more no? I always found my handwriting worse with pencils

Exactly. It was a vicious circle :frown:
Reply 13
School built a door right across the main corridor and said only teachers were allowed to use it; forcing all students to walk right around the outside of the building.

Couple of 6th formers kicked the lock in one day and they thankfully never bothered repairing it.
We flicked through a teachers "handbook" and saw that "Study leave" is a banned phrase...
My school had a no mobile phones allowed on the school premises rule. Whilst I completely agree with schools being able to say no mobiles during class ect and being able to confiscate them for the duration of the lesson or even the day, I found the no mobiles on school premises a bit too far. It meant if you were found to have a mobile anywhere in school at any point of the school day (even say at lunch time in the lunch hall, or in the corridor leaving school for the end of the day). They could confiscate your phone. A second add on to the rule (which was my main problem with it) was that is a phone was confiscated it was taken to the school office and HAD to be collected by a parent and they made no exceptions with this rule.

I once had my phone confiscated from me at lunch time in the hallway, I was told to get a parent to come and collect it. I told her my mum is disabled and cannot get to the school to pick it up, she said to get my father to pick it up I said I didn't have one. She didn't care she said get your mum to come in, so there is my mum disabled to **** having to pay money for a taxi to come in and collect a phone that was taken off me despite me not being of any disruption with it.

Now you may say "oh don't take your phone to school". Due to my mums disability and possibly needing to contact me at any time and also because I had to walk a long distance home often times in the dark my mum would not allow me to leave the house without my mobile for safety reasons. There were many other students with similar reasoning for needing to have mobile phones on their person, such as students needing to travel home via a couple of buses or a bus then train who may have needed to contact parents in the event of a train delay or cancellation stuff like that.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by nixonsjellybeans

Ooh my primary school had that as well! We all got one at the beginning of year 4, but I was one of the first ones to get one in year 3 for my good handwriting.

The thing is, although I had this coveted pen licence, I wasn't allowed to use a pen in maths or book work, only for posters and homework, and it all had to be written out in pencil first and then written over in pen. Diminished the joy somewhat.
We're not allowed to touch the peacocks :lol:
Reply 18
No jewellery, unless it's religious.

Because they let the Christians keep their crosses, but they take the Koran-and Torah- quote necklaces off the Muslims and Jews.
Original post by Romula
No jewellery, unless it's religious.

Because they let the Christians keep their crosses, but they take the Koran-and Torah- quote necklaces off the Muslims and Jews.

That's just discrimination of religion :/

Quick Reply

Latest