The Student Room Group

A-Level choices HELP!

Okay, I am currently doing GCSEs and am choosing A Levels soon.

I am really into Art and have kept up really well in GCSE so was considering it for next year but people keep trying to put me off it because of the work.

I am finding sociology interesting, but would prefer to do Psychology.

I am predicted all A's and A* (whether I will actually get them is a different matter...)

My options for next years were going to be Biology, Psychology, Maths and Art... Is this a good choice?

fyi I have no idea what I wan't to do in the future. Either a psychology degree or something down the creative / advertising route.

Original post by annieb678
Okay, I am currently doing GCSEs and am choosing A Levels soon.

I am really into Art and have kept up really well in GCSE so was considering it for next year but people keep trying to put me off it because of the work.

I am finding sociology interesting, but would prefer to do Psychology.

I am predicted all A's and A* (whether I will actually get them is a different matter...)

My options for next years were going to be Biology, Psychology, Maths and Art... Is this a good choice?

fyi I have no idea what I wan't to do in the future. Either a psychology degree or something down the creative / advertising route.

Hi there,

If you are really into going to creative/advertising route you definitely do not need biology and psychology, you might need maths. I have a friend who takes art and she is planning to do architecture in future. But if you are planning to take a science degree you need science subjects. Your options are 3 science subjects biology, psychology and maths (I dunno why but maths is seen as science btw) there is 3 types of maths at A-levels mechanics, statistics, and further. If you are taking maths mechanics then it will be a good idea to take A-level physics. if you want to do engineering etc.. then u need maths mechanics as well as physics, and chemistry, but not biology and psychology. however if you are into medical related careers biology and phycology is a good choice as well as chemistry. I have to say, that art is a completely different course compared with the other 3 courses and art depends on your skills. You still have time to think about it. Anyway see what you are get for your GCSE's next year and then it will be easier to make a choice. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Take subjects you think you'll be interested in.

For Psychology, typically a second science (alongside Psychology, of course) will widen your options, but not essential. Regardless, you have Biology and Maths to add to it, so you're able to drop either subject for A2 without too many problems.

For ""creative"" subjects, naturally you'll want a creative subject, so Art fits the bill. Are you able to/better suited to Art Graphics? Although it won't matter to universities when you come to apply, judging from my more artistically-minded friends, Art Graphics will probably be a better fit for advertising.

Your subjects are fine in terms of your future, although an English-based subject may fit slightly better into advertising.

Quick Reply

Latest