The Student Room Group
When you're reading or listening to French, is there anything in particular you don't understand, eg a certain topic? If so, you'll need to learn the vocab for that, but otherwise, you'll just have to keep practicing as often as you can. Make sure you know the grammar really well and take advantage of any opportunities you get to speak the language. Are you doing resits in January? My friend went from an E to a C at AS with 2 resits, so it really can help, especially in languages where your standard is higher at A2.
Reply 2
If it's your most important subject and you have the time to concentrate a lot on it,
I personally:
--use flashcards for basic vocab and tenses
--look up websites on the internet/blogs relating to things i like and actually want to read about eg, fashion blogs, and then translate them
--ask for help all the time
--ask for random vocabularyl - go into loads of depth - if you can walk through your house and not know the word for some, eg i don't know the word for 'lightswitch' just thinking about it now, all the ridiculous things
--(if you have a love for languages then you will do well anyway)
-- try to read short stories in the language - i thnk novels are too difficult and you'll lose any meaning, parallel texts are great

--while reading write down any nice phrases that sound good, or just pretty and remember them for writting, eg in spanish ' worthy of mention comes out as dignas de mención which i think sounds really nice and more sophisticated than soemthing i could normally come up with

Hope this helps
xx
I have always been predicted an A at AS/A2 now its gone down to a B .. and im more determined than EVER to prove them all wrong... my frecnh n german teacher has clearly lost faith in me... Ive applied for Cambridge now... theres no going back I got an A in German and a C nearly a B in French .. i know its not good enough and i know im fighting what seems like a losing battle in terms of Cambridge.. the teaching at my school is average but in Science was terrible. My teacher said to me.. Carole your'e one of the most hardworking people ive ever known.... this is the one dissuading me to apply for Cambridge in the next 5 seconds of her elongated speech!! She says she will support me... but there was a tone of ... I dont really need to support you that far because you wont get that far .. in her voice.. i feel so discouraged .. but im so determined to get that A in French!!! I got 40/45 on a grammar test and its never good enough!!! Nobody got an A in French last year someone managed to scrape a B .. then the other 2 of us got a C . And yes, I must admit after the year I had i thought i was going to fail altogether with severe problems with one of my french teachers. I completely lost faith in the subject I love most of all.... but I will never lose faith again despite what any of them think.. and no matter what this Cambridge application throws at me!!!:smile:
Reply 4
I am not terrific at french either.
My weakest field is probably listening, what i did do during AS was watch the news here-> http://jt.france2.fr/13h/
i like the 13 hours most because the news reader reads loudly and clearly.

Now I watch this for 5-10 mins every night before bed and over time i can pick up the speed.
My weakness is probably vocab in listening, so what can i suggest? get a vocab book like mot a mot and learn some weekly.
today we did a listening on pollution and i cudnt comprehend it well. So i listened VERY carefuly trying to pick out words and writing it out. It took me almost 10 mins to work out "photosynthese" was photosynthesis.

as for reading and writing I suggest writing regular essays and getting someone to mark them and give feedback.

Although I got an A in AS, it was mostly marks from the oral. The oral is easy marks so if you really want an A, i suggest working on pronounciation and speaking in French. The oral can be prepared and its not difficult to score highly. While the exam can make or break you
Ayumi
Although I got an A in AS, it was mostly marks from the oral. The oral is easy marks so if you really want an A, i suggest working on pronounciation and speaking in French. The oral can be prepared and its not difficult to score highly. While the exam can make or break you

That may be true at AS, but unfotunately it no longer works at A2, or at least it didn't for me. The A2 oral is a lot more spontaneous, so although you can still prepare a presentation and 1 topic, you then have to discuss a few more that you haven't prepared. My module grades for A2 were ABC, the A in the listening/reading/writing exam, the B in coursework and the C in the oral.
Retake your AS modules, for a start... if, when you're at A2 standard, your AS marks go down, I'll be surprised.

Latest

Trending

Trending