The Student Room Group

I am certain I need glasses

I am shortsighted now, and my right eye is a lot weaker than my left eye! (I did a test in biology whilst covering nerves and response).

I I have told my parents I need an eye test (haven't been for 6 years), but I don't think they've taken me seriously at all, and I can't get to an opticians (or pay for glasses!) without their support.

I told old them in having some trouble seeing the boards at school, I don't know what else I can say? Both of them need glasses, why don't they take me seriously?
I'm worried they're going to get way worse, and I'm going to end up half blind or something :frown:
Original post by Anonymous
I am shortsighted now, and my right eye is a lot weaker than my left eye! (I did a test in biology whilst covering nerves and response).

I I have told my parents I need an eye test (haven't been for 6 years), but I don't think they've taken me seriously at all, and I can't get to an opticians (or pay for glasses!) without their support.

I told old them in having some trouble seeing the boards at school, I don't know what else I can say? Both of them need glasses, why don't they take me seriously?
I'm worried they're going to get way worse, and I'm going to end up half blind or something :frown:

Why do you need them to get glasses?

Assuming you're under 16 you're entitled to free glasses under NHS legislation
Reply 2
Original post by R Dragon
Why do you need them to get glasses?

Assuming you're under 16 you're entitled to free glasses under NHS legislation

I'm 17, and jobless... Pathetic, I know.

Pretty sure if you're still in full time education under 19 you can get it on the nhs/ alot of it paid for anyway... Just ring specsavers and see how much it'll cost

It's not pathetic dude

Are you in full time education, recipient of income support or job seeker's allowance?
Reply 5

since you're over 16, book an eye test at an opticians, then tell your parents that you're having your eyesight tested, therefore you'll have solid proof that they cant hide from :smile:
Reply 6
It's not pathetic dude

Are you in full time education, recipient of income support or job seeker's allowance?

Yes, 6th form. Does that entitle me to a discount? The main issue I have is even getting to an opticians really though :frown: oh the joys of rural England.

Do you know how I could convince them I need to go?
Yes, 6th form. Does that entitle me to a discount? The main issue I have is even getting to an opticians really though :frown: oh the joys of rural England.

Do you know how I could convince them I need to go?

Yes assuming you're going at it full time then it should be completely free (for a basic set, you may have to pay extra for an "upgraded" frame)

Dude, I find it hard to believe that's your main issue when you live in England... Talk to your school and I'm sure they'll be able to help you find something local
Yes assuming you're going at it full time then it should be completely free (for a basic set, you may have to pay extra for an "upgraded" frame)

Yes. The ones that are free do have stickers on them telling you they're free.

Quick Reply

Latest