The Student Room Group

Critique my gym workout

howya guys pretty slight lad here looking to build up

Just joined gym and the gym guy told me to do this...

Lunges 10kg 8 times each x 3

Chest press 6kg 8 times x 3

Wide grip pull ups 30kg 8 times x 3

Goblet Squat 12kg x 10

Dumbbell(Biceps) Hammer Curl 6kg x 8

Tricep Pull Down Rope 7.5kg x 8

Plank 30sec x 4

MIND CRITIQUING MY GYM REGIME..AIM TO BULK UP CHEERS!!
Reply 1
Looks good to me! Just make sure to eat well, particularly before and after gym sessions. Also, you might want to supplement it with some bodyweight circuits, I do 30 seconds each of the following exercises...
Squat jumps
Crunches
Lunges
Dorsal Raises
Star jumps
Crunches to the side (30 seconds one side, then the other)
Standing squats
Legs raises
Press-ups
V-sit
Burpees
Plank
After doing the whole circuit I take a break and then do the whole thing 2 more times. Doing a bodyweight circuit will build core strength and stamina which should help your weight training to be more effective! :smile:
Original post by AnnaSmart
Looks good to me! Just make sure to eat well, particularly before and after gym sessions. Also, you might want to supplement it with some bodyweight circuits, I do 30 seconds each of the following exercises...
Squat jumps
Crunches
Lunges
Dorsal Raises
Star jumps
Crunches to the side (30 seconds one side, then the other)
Standing squats
Legs raises
Press-ups
V-sit
Burpees
Plank
After doing the whole circuit I take a break and then do the whole thing 2 more times. Doing a bodyweight circuit will build core strength and stamina which should help your weight training to be more effective! :smile:

Stamina yes, strength no. He will build more core strength progressively overloading heavy compounds such as squats, deadlifts and overhead presses. Stamina with low intensity high reps will do nothing to help with core strength when it comes to keeping stable and upright under heavy loads.
Original post by h3isenberg

I do this ting
Reply 5
Your program isn't particularly great, the trainer has avoided prescribing the best exercises as there's a worry you won't know how to do them and will get injured. This is the problem - most gym instructors don't even know how to squat/deadlift etc correctly themselves.. If you can't find a good weightlifting coach buy starting strength by mark rippetoe and its the next best option.
Follow starting strength to the letter and you'll be stronger than all the curlbros after a couple months anyway.

Most important thing is focus on compound movements, no machines unless for injury rehab. Incorporate gymnastics like handstand push-ups, ring work or single leg squats to build greater strength to weight, and I recommend boxing training or strongman for conditioning as it can complement strength training. But only do these after being confident in the squat, deadlift, military press, bench press, clean and pendlay row. Good luck
Original post by h3isenberg

yeh you reckon its grand for clueless weaklings like ymself:?
Original post by anonwinner
I do this ting

really does it work?!
Original post by Quadzilla
Your program isn't particularly great, the trainer has avoided prescribing the best exercises as there's a worry you won't know how to do them and will get injured. This is the problem - most gym instructors don't even know how to squat/deadlift etc correctly themselves.. If you can't find a good weightlifting coach buy starting strength by mark rippetoe and its the next best option.
Follow starting strength to the letter and you'll be stronger than all the curlbros after a couple months anyway.

Most important thing is focus on compound movements, no machines unless for injury rehab. Incorporate gymnastics like handstand push-ups, ring work or single leg squats to build greater strength to weight, and I recommend boxing training or strongman for conditioning as it can complement strength training. But only do these after being confident in the squat, deadlift, military press, bench press, clean and pendlay row. Good luck
hmmm so the ice cream fitness thing:?

yeh my routine seems a tad easy compared to most...il cut the machines so...ring work jaysus I cant do gymnastics stuffs:P

ah il try all the other jazz first ...not even sure im big enough to try deadlift etc..
Original post by trustmeimlying1
yeh you reckon its grand for clueless weaklings like ymself:?

really does it work?!
hmmm so the ice cream fitness thing:?

yeh my routine seems a tad easy compared to most...il cut the machines so...ring work jaysus I cant do gymnastics stuffs:P

ah il try all the other jazz first ...not even sure im big enough to try deadlift etc..

Ice Cream Fitness workout is for beginners

Quick Reply

Latest