The Student Room Group

Over pronation, plus lower back pain, slanted pelvis etc. Advice?

Tbh, I have a depressingly long list of health problems. But that isn't necessarily the problem now, it is lower back pain with no obvious cause, including manual labour. At one time it was excruciating, now it's bad but not the same.

I went to see a physio at great cost, who rattled through a general exam and I felt okay. Today, my back still feels the same as it had been.

He also identified I have excessive lordosis of the lumbar spine, I overpronate when walking and running (makes sense since I've noticed I can't keep in a straight line without awkward recorrection) he also said I have a slanted pelvis and my right leg longer than the other.

He told me to get very expensive insoles (which I can't afford) otherwise this problem will cause me knee, ankle and hip problems, which obviously I am suspicious of, and then concerned about.

Also, due to other health reasons I was not allowed to exercise properly, thus have become slightly overweight, thus I have corrected this by doing 5km runs twice a week on top of football training and matches. I'm worried about this will all be affected.

Do you think it would be wise to book a GP appointment and try to get a referral to orthopaedics? Any suggestions about what I should do?

Thanks,

Any questions are welcome.
Original post by That Bearded Man
Tbh, I have a depressingly long list of health problems. But that isn't necessarily the problem now, it is lower back pain with no obvious cause, including manual labour. At one time it was excruciating, now it's bad but not the same.

I went to see a physio at great cost, who rattled through a general exam and I felt okay. Today, my back still feels the same as it had been.

He also identified I have excessive lordosis of the lumbar spine, I overpronate when walking and running (makes sense since I've noticed I can't keep in a straight line without awkward recorrection) he also said I have a slanted pelvis and my right leg longer than the other.

He told me to get very expensive insoles (which I can't afford) otherwise this problem will cause me knee, ankle and hip problems, which obviously I am suspicious of, and then concerned about.

Also, due to other health reasons I was not allowed to exercise properly, thus have become slightly overweight, thus I have corrected this by doing 5km runs twice a week on top of football training and matches. I'm worried about this will all be affected.

Do you think it would be wise to book a GP appointment and try to get a referral to orthopaedics? Any suggestions about what I should do?

Thanks,

Yeah, I'd book an appointment with your GP if I were you. Lower back pain is horrible and could have several different causes, so it's worth having a proper look at. My boyfriend's had problems with it and it turned out to be a slipped disc, which was diagnosed after a scan.

The way I see it is, your spine still has to last you a good while, and it's better to have a real answer and a route to the best treatment than to risk further damage.

Thanks,

I have minor lordosis and used to have minor scoliosis as well.

I was born with flat feet, and on a routine doctors appointment, the doctor noticed a problem with my knees, which meant that they realised I had lordosis in my lower spine. I had already been wearing insoles in my shoes to build up an arch in my feet, and I switched to new insoles which actually really helped me. They had a slight heel on them which changed my posture. It didn't cure it but it did help. I was given physiotherapy exercises, but I never found them that useful.

I had slanted hips as well, which for me was caused by the scoliosis not the lordosis. Although they checked both my legs were the same length, which meant it was my spine causing the hip problems.

Definitely book an appointment with your GP, and try to get referred to an orthopaedics hospital. They should give you x-rays. I had yearly x-rays to observe any changes, and I got signed off from the hospital last year, after 6 years of x-rays. Mine never got worse luckily, and naturally improved with time. :h:
Reply 3
What are you hoping to get from the orthopaedic surgeons? I would be VERY careful about going for surgery on your back at this age if it's not for a significant scoliosis or similar - there are no guarantees it would improve your pain or function. Also, pushing for X-rays is fairly pointless - chiroquacktors love them but they are diagnostically fairly useless for general low back pain.

By all means see your GP if you need further assessment and advice, but the mainstay of treatment will probably be physio, graded exercise and possibly orthotics.
Original post by Helenia
What are you hoping to get from the orthopaedic surgeons? I would be VERY careful about going for surgery on your back at this age if it's not for a significant scoliosis or similar - there are no guarantees it would improve your pain or function. Also, pushing for X-rays is fairly pointless - chiroquacktors love them but they are diagnostically fairly useless for general low back pain.

By all means see your GP if you need further assessment and advice, but the mainstay of treatment will probably be physio, graded exercise and possibly orthotics.

This in truth summarises my point, I highly doubt surgery is a good option, indeed, I wasn't sure whether this is the kind of thing I should be informing my GP off, or should this be strictly with my physio, one of whom missed it and the other keeps trying to flog me expensive doohickeys.
Yeah, I think I'll book a GP appointment for it, I've figured out lifting my right leg (testing hamstring?) causes pain in my left thoracic region, so, I'll make a note and let her know. Thanks
Reply 6
My best advice to everyone and not just the OP is to buy decent insoles which can be slipped in your existing shoes and which provide good firm arch and foot support. The construction of many modern shoes is pretty poor and one of the areas they often skimp on is the insole. Go pull out the insole on any pair of shoes or trainers you might have and it is likely to be pretty flimsy. Just replace it.
Original post by Limpopo
My best advice to everyone and not just the OP is to buy decent insoles which can be slipped in your existing shoes and which provide good firm arch and foot support. The construction of many modern shoes is pretty poor and one of the areas they often skimp on is the insole. Go pull out the insole on any pair of shoes or trainers you might have and it is likely to be pretty flimsy. Just replace it.

With what? Whe
Original post by Limpopo

Where do I get a good pair?
Reply 9
Where do I get a good pair?

Have a look on ebay. There are various types. I bought a batch last year and slipped them in all my shoes and it is just far more comfortable to walk and less back issues..

Quick Reply

Latest