The Student Room Group

When applying for a 2nd Master's, do Unis look at Undergrad or Master's Grade?

Just curious because I am really interested in doing a Master's in Physiotherapy (Pre-registration) but my marks from my undergrad program is not good enough to get me in 90% of the programs, so I was considering doing a 1-year Master's degree to improve my marks as well as study subject specific modules that would improve my chances of getting accepted into the MSc of PT program.
Reply 1
I think they look mostly at the undergrad marks... :/ but am sure they will also consider the masters since I guess they look at the entire application...
Original post by a9493r
I think they look mostly at the undergrad marks... :/ but am sure they will also consider the masters since I guess they look at the entire application...

I'd expect them to look at both but actually to pay a lot of attention to the Masters. If the masters was done well, that bodes well for the second one. Usually the most recent thing you've done is the most useful as it's a better reflection of who you are.
Reply 3
Master's mark.
Masters, as long as it does actually show that improvement that you will need to demonstrate.

It's a tricky route though - if you apply for the physiotherapy MSc during your Masters year, you won't have the official transcript to show improvement, and if you have to apply early it might be too soon to get strong references.
Reply 5
Original post by Jantaculum
Masters, as long as it does actually show that improvement that you will need to demonstrate.

It's a tricky route though - if you apply for the physiotherapy MSc during your Masters year, you won't have the official transcript to show improvement, and if you have to apply early it might be too soon to get strong references.

That's probably my biggest worry, because if I do choose this route, the program runs for a year from January 2015-January 2016 and I would want to start my MSc. of Physiotherapy in January 2016. I also want to pick something that would benefit me even if, in the worst case scenario, I don't get accepted into Physiotherapy afterwards, I would put the master's that I have studied into good use.

There's another option where I would just apply directly to the MSc of Physiotherapy in September of 2015, but only one University, Essex, is able to consider my application with the marks I currently have from my Undergrad, which is also risky I guess. So Idk.
Reply 6
It also depends on the subjects and what is necessary for your physio masters. I don't know the subject area but using economics as an example, if I had a poor undergrad econ degree then got a distinction in a masters in say marketing, I would still have a problem getting onto an econ masters because I still haven't got the prerequisite knowledge at the right level required for the masters. On the other hand if the second masters did not require the subject specific knowledge then the undergrad might matter less.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending