The Student Room Group

What can I do with a PE AS Level?

Hi guys,
Getting to the end of my GCSE period and exams in May we have been asked to think about what subjects we would like to study for A Level. Here's my problem - I've always wanted to go into Medicine and have put down Bio,Chem and Maths Stats for my A2 level but am stuck on what to choose for my AS. As they are introducing a new system I have to choose my A2 Levels now instead of at the the end of Year 12 and am a little bit stuck. I would really love to do PE for AS level but don't know if it is relevant to Medicine and if a University will accept me if I have studied it AS Level. Therefore for my AS level I could choose either geography politics religious studies pe or an EPQ which we have been given very little information about. Should I take a subject that is seen as more academic? Any help would be great, thanks :smile:
Reply 1
I heard Unis like to look for sports subjects in application as it shows them that you are competitive and have team skills which is very important to them....
Reply 2
However you should also talk to your student advisers before making final decisions...
Reply 3
Original post by JoboCop
Hi guys,
Getting to the end of my GCSE period and exams in May we have been asked to think about what subjects we would like to study for A Level. Here's my problem - I've always wanted to go into Medicine and have put down Bio,Chem and Maths Stats for my A2 level but am stuck on what to choose for my AS. As they are introducing a new system I have to choose my A2 Levels now instead of at the the end of Year 12 and am a little bit stuck. I would really love to do PE for AS level but don't know if it is relevant to Medicine and if a University will accept me if I have studied it AS Level. Therefore for my AS level I could choose either geography politics religious studies pe or an EPQ which we have been given very little information about. Should I take a subject that is seen as more academic? Any help would be great, thanks :smile:

I know someone who took PE as an AS and also did the same A2's as you and got into Cambridge for Medicine
Original post by JoboCop
Hi guys,

Hi there,
i am planning to do medicine and i do biology, chemistry, physics and maths at As now. To be honest A-level PE not not very important if u are planning to do medicine. U can do subjects like phychology etc.. but if u really like PE, u can do PE or other sports as an extra activity, and u can have it on ur CV and will look good on ur application when u apply for uni. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Thanks guys any other thoughts on what i should take instead of PE is a more academic choice more suitable? :smile:
A science (traditional 3 and maths) in your case you would change to physics, but what is maths stats? do you mean you are just doing statistics A level? Why not the full A level?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Bobjim12
A science (traditional 3 and maths) in your case you would change to physics, but what is maths stats? do you mean you are just doing statistics A level? Why not the full A level?

Hi,
at the moment im meant to be doing A2 Bio,Chem and Math Stats - itsjust the as level i was wondering about - i have been told that i need to study maths bio and chem for A2 for medi school - because theyhave changed the system this year they phasing it in for a full change next year - this means that i have to choose 3 phase 1 subjects (Maths, Bio and Chemistry) and take an as level or EPQ - the maths stats is just maths but hopefully that makes sense :smile: any recommendations... for the as level outof the list in my orignial post :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by JoboCop
Hi,
at the moment im meant to be doing A2 Bio,Chem and Math Stats - itsjust the as level i was wondering about - i have been told that i need to study maths bio and chem for A2 for medi school - because theyhave changed the system this year they phasing it in for a full change next year - this means that i have to choose 3 phase 1 subjects (Maths, Bio and Chemistry) and take an as level or EPQ - the maths stats is just maths but hopefully that makes sense :smile: any recommendations... for the as level outof the list in my orignial post :biggrin:

Ah yes i apologise. I forgot about the A level changes. Well i would say the EPQ would be better than PE although, The AS that you drops isn't so important when it comes to uni (this is where your 3 A2s come in)

So, if you want to enjoy your AS year a bit more then pick one you'll enjoy a lot. Else if you want to improve your application, then the EPQ would help. And if you want to do Medicine, you'll need a competitive application :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Bobjim12
Ah yes i apologise. I forgot about the A level changes. Well i would say the EPQ would be better than PE although, The AS that you drops isn't so important when it comes to uni (this is where your 3 A2s come in)

So, if you want to enjoy your AS year a bit more then pick one you'll enjoy a lot. Else if you want to improve your application, then the EPQ would help. And if you want to do Medicine, you'll need a competitive application :smile:

thanks for your reply - i was just wondering do you or anyone else for that matter have any experience or views on the EPQ - is it worth it? etc.:smile:
Original post by JoboCop
thanks for your reply - i was just wondering do you or anyone else for that matter have any experience or views on the EPQ - is it worth it? etc.:smile:

Well, i'm doing it atm but along with 4 ASs (which will become 3 A2s most likely), As an extra it is nice as it shows further reading and more interest into a course if you base it on your desired course, which would help you.
In terms of worth over an AS, eh idk really, depends what you'd think you get, the EPQ is extra AS UCAS points so whether you could do better in the EPQ than your desired AS then maybe it could be better.
Reply 11
cool thanks a lot guys have been a lot of help - if anybody else feels like they could help or give their opinion please feel free to reply or post :smile:

Quick Reply