The Student Room Group

Paid mock interviews for BA Law at Oxford

I applied for BA Law so I'm asking specifically for it. Does anyone have experience or trustworthy opinions about those paid mock interview services with Oxford grads, like oxbridgeapplications.com? I included a link to show what I mean but if it's not allowed, I apologise - moderator, please feel free to remove

They're very expensive, but are they worth it and do they help - especially at this stage, 3 weeks before the interview? There are no law teachers or really law at my school so I can't find someone to do a mock interview with.
Original post by Davidkale
I applied for BA Law so I'm asking specifically for it. Does anyone have experience or trustworthy opinions about those paid mock interview services with Oxford grads, like oxbridgeapplications.com? I included a link to show what I mean but if it's not allowed, I apologise - moderator, please feel free to remove

They're very expensive, but are they worth it and do they help - especially at this stage, 3 weeks before the interview? There are no law teachers or really law at my school so I can't find someone to do a mock interview with.

After having heard the opinions of dozens of Oxbridge tutors and students, the unanimous consensus is No, they're not worth it. They're looking for people who can show potential and aptitude so you don't need a huge amount of practice - they want to see spontaneity. In your position, I'd find some example law interview questions (there are lots, probably many on the Oxford website) and give them to an English or History teacher and ask them to give you a mock interview. Oxford also have mock law interviews on their website if I remember correctly.
I looked at the same site before applying, and decided no.

I can't factually answer whether it would help or not - probably, as they have to provide the service they offer, but on the other hand, they're hardly going for repeat customers, they're just making money out of people's desperation. As above, the tutors can see the difference between 'intelligent' and 'practiced'.

A mock interview is not a bad idea - it might help your confidence in the real thing. However, I wouldn't pay for it. I'm sure you can find a way to get one. In my case, my form tutor asked around various local schools and universities, and managed to find someone who agreed to do it. It could be a student, or teacher from another school, if you can't find an academic.
Thank you all.

Ideahack, I am interested in a mock interview or hearing from your Oxford lawyer friends. Can you put me in touch? I private messaged, but can't seem to email you here. I'll wait for you. Thanks.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
hey did u get in ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending