The Student Room Group

Is it stupid to keep positive while every single things going wrong

&friends one by one are leaving?

People say Keep positive!

But how when things are going worse?

Scroll to see replies

Sometimes staying positive is all you can do. It may seem like a terrible situation to be in but if your friends are drifting away be haooy that they are since they were never really your friends in the first place or they would stay. Use this time to re invent yourself and make new friends and just be happy!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Stay positive
Reply 3
Things have to go worse for them to get better..right?
Reply 4
Original post by h133ma
Things have to go worse for them to get better..right?

I guess :frown: x
Reply 5
Original post by Teddysmith123
Sometimes staying positive is all you can do. It may seem like a terrible situation to be in but if your friends are drifting away be haooy that they are since they were never really your friends in the first place or they would stay. Use this time to re invent yourself and make new friends and just be happy!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll try, hard though
[video="youtube;Dl-ai9HuR60"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl-ai9HuR60[/video]
Reply 7
Original post by the bear
[video="youtube;Dl-ai9HuR60"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl-ai9HuR60[/video]

It seems to be getting worse its urgh god I can't explain it i'm alone man :frown:
Reply 8
I wouldn't particularly endorse unconstrained optimism, but as far as happiness goes, I don't think that should be allowed to purely rely on external circumstances. There should, in my view, be a part of you that can remain happy independently of how wrong things are going. People who have this I believe can find strength when others might give up - they aren't at the mercy of fate in the same way as the rest of us.

It's okay to be sad, disappointed or to feel hurt from time to time, but what's important is to not let the bad things in life overpower you into submission - you can be stronger than that, and that is what I think is at the heart of a message like 'be positive'.
Reply 9
Original post by miser
I wouldn't particularly endorse unconstrained optimism, but as far as happiness goes, I don't think that should be allowed to purely rely on external circumstances. There should, in my view, be a part of you that can remain happy independently of how wrong things are going. People who have this I believe can find strength when others might give up - they aren't at the mercy of fate in the same way as the rest of us.

It's okay to be sad, disappointed or to feel hurt from time to time, but what's important is to not let the bad things in life overpower you into submission - people can be stronger than that.

unconstrained optimism ???????

And I mean when you're going through a hard time, everyone has ups or downs or times when things don't work out I mean where everythings leaving and becoming bad? A hard time
Reply 10
Original post by elmosandy
unconstrained optimism ???????

Yes, i.e., positivity which is detached from reality.

And I mean when you're going through a hard time, everyone has ups or downs or times when things don't work out I mean where everythings leaving and becoming bad? A hard time

Yes, that's what I was addressing. In my view it's perfectly okay to not feel positive when you're going through a hard time, but that notwithstanding, I think it's important to hold a kernel of happiness that can remain resilient to the hammer-blows of continual hardship. A little vulnerability is good and means you're connected to the world, but total vulnerability is bad and leaves you at the mercy of the myriad things that can't be controlled.

Another way to put it is that everyone has their ups and downs, and sometimes everything is going badly, but that shouldn't mean you are left totally unhappy and totally without hope. It is possible to find a grain of positivity in the direst of situations, if you can will yourself to look for it.
Reply 11
Original post by miser
Yes, i.e., positivity which is detached from reality.

Yes, that's what I was addressing. In my view it's perfectly okay to not feel positive when you're going through a hard time, but that notwithstanding, I think it's important to hold a kernel of happiness that can remain resilient to the hammer-blows of continual hardship. A little vulnerability is good and means you're connected to the world, but total vulnerability is bad and leaves you at the mercy of the myriad things that can't be controlled.

Another way to put it is that everyone has their ups and downs, and sometimes everything is going badly, but that shouldn't mean you are left totally unhappy and totally without hope. It is possible to find a grain of positivity in the direst of situations, if you can will yourself to look for it.

positivity which is detached from reality.- Do you mean like unrealistic goals ?

and I guess:/
Yeah, it is. I despise optimists and pessimists equally. Some things go wrong, some things go right. This happens to everyone, and we have to deal with it day-by-day, week-by-week. Don't stay positive if everything is going wrong - ask yourself why it is going wrong and change it. Don't become a depressive, sarcastic wreck however, and just bemoan everything.
Reply 13
Original post by Arkasia
Yeah, it is. I despise optimists and pessimists equally. Some things go wrong, some things go right. This happens to everyone, and we have to deal with it day-by-day, week-by-week. Don't stay positive if everything is going wrong - ask yourself why it is going wrong and change it. Don't become a depressive, sarcastic wreck however, and just bemoan everything.

But how? I try to change things and It doesn't work, everyone everywhere is levaing and turning I haven't known something like this before, yeah life before things went wrong but overall it was OKAY, this is just.... bad it seems like no way out people are telling me to keep positive because one day it'll work and nothing last forever... it just seems hard to be positive, I have become pessimist beyond belief before I could deal with setbacks, etc but not... idk life before had ups and downs but this is a nightmare!!!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14
positivity which is detached from reality.- Do you mean like unrealistic goals ?

and I guess:/

Positivity which is divorced from reality is feeling positive even when there is no rational expectation of a positive outcome. For example, feeling positive about the prospect of spending all my money on lottery tickets because I might win. I think a degree of realism is very important.
Reply 15
Original post by miser
Positivity which is divorced from reality is feeling positive even when there is no rational expectation of a positive outcome. For example, feeling positive about the prospect of spending all my money on lottery tickets because I might win. I think a degree of realism is very important.

Oh I see :smile:
Don't worry, about a thing...because every little thing is gonna be alright! - Bob Marley

Don't worry, be happy. In every life we have some trouble but if you worry you make it double don't worry...be happy.- Bobby McFerrin

These men speak wise words. Easier said than done but you do indeed have to stay positive OP, sadness will only make it worse :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Lyrical Prodigy
Don't worry, about a thing...because every little thing is gonna be alright! - Bob Marley

Don't worry, be happy. In every life we have some trouble but if you worry you make it double don't worry...be happy.- Bobby McFerrin

These men speak wise words. Easier said than done but you do indeed have to stay positive OP, sadness will only make it worse :smile:

I guess, i'll try x
I guess, i'll try x

Good x :smile:
&friends one by one are leaving?

People say Keep positive!

But how when things are going worse?

I don't think it can ever be stupid to be positive. It can be incredibly difficullt. But in these situations its better to couple that with some kind of action to improve your situation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending