The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
smirf83
So, without good grades, you won't get past the first stage.
Seems like they're quite important to me. :rolleyes:

But the point is that the OP does have good grades, not amazing grades but they are still good. Therefore depending on the university that they apply to this is less likely to be a limiting factor.
Reply 41
Indeed the OP has to consider wether he has a realistic chance - but surely by not applying he has exactly - oh wait - NO realistic chance!
Apply to where you want to go - otherwise you'll be stuck there for most likely 5/6yrs and hating it

Good luck -

Wangers
Reply 42
Winnie....Just believe in youself!

Honestly take what other people say with a pinch of salt....you have got good enough grades, and if you just work 2 the best of your abilities in your a-levels, theres no doubting you will get into a university to do medicine.

What your teacher says about taking maths is complete and utter bulls#@!...jus because a lot of people wanting 2 do med take maths, does not mean you have to take it...the fact that u have taken english lit differentiates you from other applicants.

Btw a word of advice about oxbridge....ive known people who are not the best gettin in, and those who are really hard-working not even getting an interview. It can be really random, as they've only got a piece of paper to go on...btw cambridge interview nearly 97% os applicants.

And with regards to Birmingham, they can be a bit arsey about what they want....apparently last year they immediately dismissed all applicants who didnt get at least 6A*s....but thats only birmingham....theres loads of other unis u can apply 2, and im sure u'll get into a top uni and be a great medic!
Wangers
Indeed the OP has to consider wether he has a realistic chance - but surely by not applying he has exactly - oh wait - NO realistic chance!
Apply to where you want to go - otherwise you'll be stuck there for most likely 5/6yrs and hating it

Good luck -

Wangers

Having no chance if you don't apply is a really bad reason to apply.

Would you rather have a 1/10 chance at getting into a normal medschool, or a 1/1000 chance of getting into Oxbridge? Remember, you only have 4 chances at getting in. Blowing one on a medschool you're rather unlikely to get into would be a waste imo.
Reply 44
Not applying to the places you really want to study at first time round would be a waste & an ongoing what if? source in my opinion - they're not just campuses of Medical School in different geographical locations.
If that doesn't work out then onto Plan B of posting "what's the easiest med school for me" threads & making a reapplication with fabulous grades in hand & added experience... :p:
I have to say the "you will struggle to get offers with these grades" more pleasant that the "you have no chance" i got from my head of sixth form!!! Nevertheless, what have i got to lose by applying this year...? some time, possibly a little pride? but what do i gain? experience in the system and hopefully feedback to why i will get rejected, all of which puts me in good stead for my post A-level application!
Reply 46
well would you prefere to go somewhere *easier to get into* depending on the person - southampton ( no interview) or one of the newer ones - East Anglia - and hate it for the whole course?? Personally If I couldnt go where I want I'd reapply postgrad with more experience.

Its not a reason for applying - just that its not something to put you off - even the best candidates may only have 1/10 chance - how do you know what chance he has?? if we all knew where we'd get in - why apply to 4?? just put one down!

as long as the OP has a range of schools - I dont see the problem

Wangers
If she'd be unhappy if she went anywhere except Oxbridge then she's setting herself up for a crap 5 years or so. Nobody has a good chance of getting into Oxbridge, so basing whether or not you'll be happy on it isn't a good way to go about things.

And I know that her chances are going to be slim (slim, not non-existant) because A) Oxbridge is notoriously difficult to get into for even the best of applicants, and B) They'll have more than enough applicants who have double the number of As and A*s at GCSE than her, as well as the 4 sciences at AS (and probably other subjects too). And apparantly Oxbridge prefer sciency people. Those are facts - and she'll need to take that into account when applying there.

Like I said, there's always the chance the OP will get an offer. But to do so, she'll have to pull an absolute blinder on the BMAT, get straight As at AS and A level, have an unbeatable PS and reference, as well as a whole lot of luck on top. Basically, if you're applying there, be sure that your other 3 choices are way easier to get into or you're asking for an unwanted gap year.

Don't just apply there blindly because it's your dream, think carefully about it first.
Reply 48
Which medical schools should an Oxbridge applicant put down for their other 3 choices to be sure that they're "way easier to get into"?

Considering where you think you'd be happiest (providing you're not a complete muppet & have checked you meet their requirements, obviously) seems exactly the best way to go about things to me. You do get four chances to see if these places want you too & honestly, worse things happen in the world than taking a Gap year that wasn't part of Plan A.
Reply 49
Yes of course she has to think about it - then again if you're a Med applicant and you've found sites like TSR and Admin Forum I doubt thats the case.

I am agreeing with you that Oxbridge is hard to get into - anyone intelligent enough to apply for Med knows that - but then again some facts are self evident -

1) - Everywhere is competitive in Medicine - not least Oxbridge. Although it dosnt have the highest Applicant/places ratio - because its reputation etc do put people off. In a sense its not harder because of the numbers of people - its harder because everyone is applying with very high grades.

2) - keep in mind before you dismiss her that GCSEs are only one indicator of ability - and some would say a pretty useless one. Since some GCSEs were a elaborate memory excercise. - even if you say they are important - they indicated ability nearly 2 years ago - surely you cant strike someone off on the basis of performance 2 years ago.

Take for instance a applicant who has AAAA at AS - and are predicted AAAA in 4 "rigorous" A Levels - BUT had say 7As and 3Bs - are you saying they wern't able enough to get a bunch of A*s?? to me that says the applicant diddnt work for their GCSEs - not that they lack ability.. Besides A Level work is much mre along the format of a university course then GCSEs. If I ( some would argue a dumba**) can realise this - then surely Universities like Oxbridge can? Hence why A Level predictions are much more important - because they show CURRENT ability - and stuff like AEAs show potential.

lastly it isnt solely based on grades - the PS and reference count for a lot - otherwise why would 10A* and AAAAA candidates get rejected?

I agree, think carefully, have a fallback option, but in the end once the app has gone in - its not in your hands - depends on who reads the app, whether they had a good day, who interviews you blah blah blah....all things you cannot possibly control. You stop being a pessimist and minimising her chances - think about what you're saying - if we all had your attitude then no- one would apply to Oxbridge - and where would we be then??

I agree with you - she could get rejected - but then so could a bunch of other people - combined Oxbridge Medic places are about 350 - so probably hundreds, if not thousands will get rejected. - but they had TRIED - if you dont apply they cant even fail.

and if the worst comes to the worst - take a gap year, relax, top up grades, get more experience and apply again - all the richer for the experience. And what do you have to lose?? At most you'll be in a stronger position.

Again, OP - if its what you want go for it - its 1 out of 4. :smile:

Aim for the moon - if you miss, you'll be amoungst the stars....If you're determined to be a Medic - you will be. Its meant to be a test of fire - if you cant survive people minimising your chance on here - how are you going to survive Med School and possibly further training???

Think about it - Personally I think you already know what you want - go for it

Good Luck

Wangers
Reply 50
As usual, never say never on TSR. Obviously, it's not possible to say 'you wont get into X' - because nothing is certain. It is also impossible to say the reverse for someone with exceptional grades. The way around this is to use statistics and the averages. The problem is that when people meet unfavourable statistics they bombard you with anecdotal success stories and an "i know someone who...". And from that point onwards - there's no point arguing. Its all down to opinions unless the admission tutor tells us the magic formula.

The only thing we can safely and objectively conclude from exam results is how well you must perform in the other aspects of a medical application. If you're below average here, worked harder somewhere else.

Latest

Trending

Trending