The Student Room Group

Centrica 2015 grad scheme

Anybody here applied for the Centrica graduate scheme this year? I haven't seen a thread for this yet so I thought I'd start one to help those doing applications / share experiences. I applied for the HSE&S scheme myself and have just been invited to telephone interview, so will soon be starting my preperation for that...
Reply 1
Original post by Vapor
I haven't applied for the grad scheme, but have for the summer internship.

How long after your application did they respond to you ?

Exactly one month after the online tests and application form, so quite a while to wait. Not sure what the process is for the summer internship but from experience I guess the longer you haven't heard the more promising -last year I also applied and was rejected within a week.
I had my assessment centre yesterday for HR - it was surprisingly relaxed and I really felt that the assessors wanted me to do well. I should hear the result by the end of the week...!

If anyone has any questions, let me know :-)
Original post by meganfleur
I had my assessment centre yesterday for HR - it was surprisingly relaxed and I really felt that the assessors wanted me to do well. I should hear the result by the end of the week...!

Hey Megan! Do you know if there are still places available for the HR grad scheme after your assessment? I had a telephone interview about a week and a half ago and I haven't heard anything yet, hopefully there will be some places left :/
Reply 4

Good luck with the result, fingers crossed for you! I had my phone interview last week but the assessment centre for my programme isn't until early January, so if I am invited I'll PM you to find out more about it :smile:
Reply 5

Hi megan,

I was wondering if you know what Centrica's expenses policy is for the AC?
Original post by Elisabetev
Hey Megan! Do you know if there are still places available for the HR grad scheme after your assessment? I had a telephone interview about a week and a half ago and I haven't heard anything yet, hopefully there will be some places left :/

Hi Elisabete! At the centre there were 10 of us (all for HR) and we were told that they're recruiting for 5 graduates - they have offered the other 4/5 places to people who did internships with them over the summer. They did say that they had two more HR assessment days planned if they didn't feel there were 5 candidates from our group who were strong enough. So there is still hope! We were told we'd hear back from them today (agh!) so you should receive an update next week, I'd imagine.

I'm in the same situation with the Nationwide HR scheme so I know how frustrating it is :-( Passed the phone interview but the HR assessment centre was already full so they can only consider me if they don't offer all the jobs to candidates at that centre :-(
Original post by vilefor
Good luck with the result, fingers crossed for you! I had my phone interview last week but the assessment centre for my programme isn't until early January, so if I am invited I'll PM you to find out more about it :smile:

Thanks so much - should hear today either way...!

Hope you get invited to the assessment centre :-) Feel free to PM me then!
Hi Elisabete! At the centre there were 10 of us (all for HR) and we were told that they're recruiting for 5 graduates - they have offered the other 4/5 places to people who did internships with them over the summer. They did say that they had two more HR assessment days planned if they didn't feel there were 5 candidates from our group who were strong enough. So there is still hope! We were told we'd hear back from them today (agh!) so you should receive an update next week, I'd imagine.

I'm in the same situation with the Nationwide HR scheme so I know how frustrating it is :-( Passed the phone interview but the HR assessment centre was already full so they can only consider me if they don't offer all the jobs to candidates at that centre :-(

Best of luck!! Did you enjoy the AC and the company?
Original post by LucyJane
Hi megan,

I was wondering if you know what Centrica's expenses policy is for the AC?

Hi Lucy,

Here you go!

(from my AC invite):
Expenses
The Centrica Graduate team will reimburse expenses incurred during assessment centres to the total of £80.00.

You can claim for the following:
- Standard rail fare
- Mileage -we will reimburse 23p/mile (you must state where you have travelled from and also include a fuel receipt for the journey)
- Accommodation if your commute is over 90 minutes
Best of luck!! Did you enjoy the AC and the company?

Yeah, the company was great and everyone I met was really friendly and keen for me to do my best. It definitely wasn't an intimidating process! The AC went so quickly that everything was over by 2pm - the individual presentation in particular flies by as you have 10 mins to present and then just 10 mins of questions from the assessor. I left with a really good impression of Centrica.

Ps. I also applied for Unilever - have passed phone interview but waiting to hear about AC. If I get to the next stage, it would be great to hear your experiences :-)
Yeah, the company was great and everyone I met was really friendly and keen for me to do my best. It definitely wasn't an intimidating process! The AC went so quickly that everything was over by 2pm - the individual presentation in particular flies by as you have 10 mins to present and then just 10 mins of questions from the assessor. I left with a really good impression of Centrica.

Ps. I also applied for Unilever - have passed phone interview but waiting to hear about AC. If I get to the next stage, it would be great to hear your experiences :-)

Let me know if you do and I'll help as much as possible :smile:
No news from Centrica today :-( Must mean I was one of the middle-ranked candidates because they said all the definite yes and no people would hear today...
Let me know if you do and I'll help as much as possible :smile:

Thanks so much! Keep your fingers crossed for me :-)
Don't know if any of you guys could help me. I have a a telephone interview tomorrow, however haven't received an email with a number to ring etc. which is what I have experienced with other companies. Is that how centrica works or do they call you? Thanks in advance!
Hi guys I've just had my phone interview for Centrica Customer Ops scheme, can't be arsed to write a big essay on here but here are the questions I can remember, please feel free to message me if you have any specific questions I could help with:

1. What do you know about Centrica
2. Why did you apply to that particular scheme
3. Why do you think you'll fit in
4. Describe a time you've built a relationship with someone you didn't know
5. What do you think the challenges of the role will be
6. What will your main motivator be in the role

Impressions: very heavy on the motivations/ company knowledge questions! Probed each and every question (What would you do differently, what did you learn from this, have you stayed in contact) even when the probing questions weren't relevant/ had already been directly answered (sounded like he was reading from a script).

He said I would hear from them in a few weeks.

Neutral experience really - I just bloody hate these grad scheme interviews - so impersonal and box ticking!
This was exactly my experience too. Sub questions had already been answered several times. Furious typing in the background. Felt very impersonal and scripted but fingers crossed enough boxes were ticked.
Reply 17
Hi!

I also had a Customer Op phone interview, so impersonal! Any chance you got through to the assessment centre? I have mine tomorrow and would be grateful for any insights.....

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest