The Student Room Group

I haven't been invited for an interview, can somebody help me understand why is that?

Yesterday I received a letter from Cambridge informing me that they wouldn't be inviting me for an interview because of "the high level of competition both in the number and quality of applicants", but in fact I think I have quite impressive qualifications. I am Italian, and I have been predicted to score 100% in my "Esame di Stato" (my final exam), and my grades have never been lower than 9/10. I also scored 7.5 in my IELTS exam. So why am I being rejected without even an invitation for an interview? Is it because they have to accept just a limited number of international students? Or what else? I have also been told that they might be discouraged to accept me by the fact that you don't study Economics in high school in Italy. Is that so?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kalleblomk
Yesterday I received a letter from Cambridge informing me that they wouldn't be inviting me for an interview because of "the high level of competition both in the number and quality of applicants", but in fact I think I have quite impressive qualifications. I am Italian, and I have been predicted to score 100% in my "Esame di Stato" (my final exam), and my grades have never been lower than 9/10. I also scored 7.5 in my IELTS exam. So why am I being rejected without even an invitation for an interview? Is it because they have to accept just a limited number of international students? Or what else? I have also been told that they might be discouraged to accept me by the fact that you don't study Economics in high school in Italy. Is that so?

You haven't actually stated what subject you've applied to study so I'm assuming it was Economics.
Anyway, that's just their excuse to say "we have too many applicants so we are rejecting any application that is less than perfect". It doesn't mean that you're not smart enough or qualified enough to study there- it just means the admissions office have far too many applications this year.
It's the way university applications work - always like a lucky dip, especially with highly competitive and internationally renowned universities such as Oxbridge & University of London affiliates.
Reply 2
Original post by Rumschpringe
You haven't actually stated what subject you've applied to study so I'm assuming it was Economics.
Anyway, that's just their excuse to say "we have too many applicants so we are rejecting any application that is less than perfect". It doesn't mean that you're not smart enough or qualified enough to study there- it just means the admissions office have far too many applications this year.
It's the way university applications work - always like a lucky dip, especially with highly competitive and internationally renowned universities such as Oxbridge & University of London affiliates.

I understand that, but I just thought that I could have at least been invited for an interview. I mean, if Cambridge has rejected my application so easily and quickly, do I even stand one chance to get an offer from LSE? And yes, I applied to read Economics. Anyway thanks a lot!
I am sorry, but it is not only grades that matter to Cambridge admissions officers. There are a myriad of additional factors, some that make sense (essay quality, your focus and interests, etc.) and others that don't (if you "shine", whatever that means). Luck is also important.

I wish you luck with other institutions.
Reply 4
If you're really keen on Cambridge, you can always take a gap year and reapply next year. I'm sure you'll end up with offers from other unis though, so think about it in due time.

You haven't said what course or college you applied for but in any case your application (with specific regards to your academics and reference as extra curriculars mean very little), just wasn't as strong as the rest of the applicant pool or those that got invited to interview. There may well have been other Italian applicants in this cycle who presented with stronger grades or in the case of past Italian applicants, your profile perhaps wasn't as strong as previous candidates.

It's tough but it's Cambridge and there are plenty with stellar grades who either don't get called for interview or don't get an offer.
I understand that, but I just thought that I could have at least been invited for an interview. I mean, if Cambridge has rejected my application so easily and quickly, do I even stand one chance to get an offer from LSE? And yes, I applied to read Economics. Anyway thanks a lot!

LSE is just as prestigious and as competitive to gain admission to as Cambridge so to portray it as lesser than Cambridge is foolish. As they don't interview you need to hope you appear strong on paper to get made an offer.

If you did get an offer from LSE you'd be stupid to decline them just to reapply to Cambridge given if you got a 2:1 or 1st from LSE you could easily make a strong case to study for a Master's and then a PhD at Oxford or Cambridge and you'd have two world-class universities and their extensive careers and alumni networks at your disposal. 3 years will fly by...
Reply 7
:ditto:
Reply 8
Original post by Hulkamaniac
LSE is just as prestigious and as competitive to gain admission to as Cambridge so to portray it as lesser than Cambridge is foolish. As they don't interview you need to hope you appear strong on paper to get made an offer.

If you did get an offer from LSE you'd be stupid to decline them just to reapply to Cambridge given if you got a 2:1 or 1st from LSE you could easily make a strong case to study for a Master's and then a PhD at Oxford or Cambridge and you'd have two world-class universities and their extensive careers and alumni networks at your disposal. 3 years will fly by...

That is my point! My first choice would have always been LSE, not Cambridge. I am just very concerned that if Cambridge has rejected my application, it might be because I look very weak on paper. But if I look very weak on paper, how am I going to receive an offer from LSE? Cambridge's rejection has just made me feel very anxious about my chances of entering LSE which are apparently non-existent
Reply 9
I know someone who got turned down from Manchester and then got an offer from Cambridge. Let's be honest Manchester? Rubbish university compared to Cambridge, not even the same league or level.

It's quite common for medics to only get one offer & Oxbridge look for different things. Rather less believable for most other subjects.

As for the Italian OP if it's for Economics then what are your maths qualifications? It may well be that they don't feel the Italian curriculum offers enough maths & that they don;t regard predicted grades for two years of study as reliable as somebody with achieved grades at IB or AS.

f you do achieve very well this summer a post-qualification application may be worthwhile. (IB candidates for example applying with 44-45 have a good success rate.)
It may be worthwhile emailing a tutor to find out why but of course just at the moment they are extremely busy. However they may indicate, for example, that there is not enough maths and so self-studying a FM A level or stats modules before an application may be worthwhile.
Alternatively given that you have not studied Economics your PS may not have given them sufficient comfort that you know what the course involves, or perhaps your English simply didn't come across as well as your score suggests it should.

Economics at LSE is not as competitive as at Cambridge from my experience. In my school last year we had 6 people who applied to both for economics - all got into LSE, only one to Cambridge (obviously a small sample size though)
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 11
In which type of school do you study at in Italy??
That in no way is representative of the reputation of LSE as any less than Cambridge.

Those in the know will tell you LSE is on par with Cambridge in terms of prestige and their opinion counts for a lot more than pre-pubescent little sperm like you.

Good grief! Such comments don't earn much respect.

As a Cambridge Economist I can tell you that the Economics undergrad degree is well respected but the standard required for entry for most other LSE undergrad degrees is much lower. Postgrad dgrees are well respected but undergraduate experience is noticeably less good, the supervision system doesn't exist and the college v campus life is not comparable.
I would concur that most Cambridge Economists had also received LSE offers, the exceptions were those with very poor GCSEs where Cambridge would take a more holistic view of post 16 achievements.

You shouldn't confuse reputation of an institution with competitiveness of entry to individual undergraduate degrees.
Reply 13
Original post by Stark95
In which type of school do you study at in Italy??

Classical High School!
Reply 14
Classical High School!

Oh D: What were your grades in maths during the past years and this year?
( I had an exchange student from Italy in my school and he struggled a bit with the admission process )
Reply 15
Original post by Stark95
Oh D: What were your grades in maths during the past years and this year?
( I had an exchange student from Italy in my school and he struggled a bit with the admission process )

9/10 both in my third and 4th year! Anyway yes, I think this might have been one of the factors that caused them to reject me!
Ask for feedback and why.

It might even be a mistake.
9/10 both in my third and 4th year! Anyway yes, I think this might have been one of the factors that caused them to reject me!

E-mail them and ask. They will respond.
Did you have to send in essays/any kind of written work? Or was there are a ridiculous amount of applications for Economics at your college this year? I don't know anything about the Italian schooling system, but if you were predicted to get 100% a pre-interview rejection seems strange. Do get in touch with them and ask for feedback!
Reply 19
Original post by Kaylee Frye
Did you have to send in essays/any kind of written work? Or was there are a ridiculous amount of applications for Economics at your college this year? I don't know anything about the Italian schooling system, but if you were predicted to get 100% a pre-interview rejection seems strange. Do get in touch with them and ask for feedback!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I have emailed them and asked them for feedback. Hopefully they will reply soon. Anyway there was no written work to be done, but probably there was a huge amount of applications for Econ. But the thing is that I submitted an open application, so I assume that they sent it to a college (Girton) which had received less applications for Economics, or at least that's how it should be, right?

Quick Reply