The Student Room Group

MSt Film Aesthetics

skip to the end if you want to read the questions.

Let me start off by saying that even I'm surprised that Oxford now offers a post graduate degree in Film Aesthetics (the poor saps couldn't bring themselves to call it Film Studies because it'd probably sound too working class), but as it's the only post-graduate course I could be qualified for at Oxford, I've decided to apply for entry in 2008.

A little bit of knowledge for you all: Nickelodeon (not the kids tv channel) is a term that was originally coined in the early 20th century that referred to the early cinemas which the working class (the upper classes looked down upon film at the time) attended. The name came about because everybody had to pay 1 nickel for admittance.

I'm telling you that because it shows for how long people have looked down at Film and in most cases recently viewed it as a 'soft subject'. So, it's quite surprising to see Oxford creating a new MSt film course... after 110ish years, film now seems to be on it's way to being accepted by the higher tier universities.

"Movie directing is a perfect refuge for the mediocre." - Orson Welles

I'm currently studying BA Film and Broadcast Production at London Metropolitan University - which is potentially the best uni for practical film courses after it recently joined up with the prestigious London Film School - and hope to receive a first class degree at the end of it all. Now, the questions I want to ask are:

1. As this is a new course, what are the entry requirements (I assume a first)?
2. Most film courses are at low tier universities (such as mine), so what would Oxford think about my current university and the course I'm doing when it comes to the admissions process? Keep in mind I have studied film theory before (I was the top candidate/student in my school for A level Film Studies) and continue to do so.
3. What colleges would accept someone doing a course like mine?

MSt Film Aesthetics is a modern languages course, but when I look at the interview and test process for modern languages, none of it applies to this course because it's all about actual spoken languages. Even though I have two years left I'd love to prepare for it (I'm not exactly Oxford material... it's going to take work). Hopefully I can impress them with my gargantuan film knowledge during the interview stage.
Reply 1
No one? I'll just struggle on by myself then, I guess there's something depressingly noble about it. *sighs*
Reply 2
The reason you're not getting any replies is probably because nobody here is adequately familiar with the programme to be able to accommodate your queries.

Address them instead to the Graduate Admissions Office; they'd surely be happy to field such questions, and you can be sure that you're not the only one curious about the details of this course. You could even choose to remain anonymous if you're paranoid.
Reply 3
Nutter
The reason you're not getting any replies is probably because nobody here is adequately familiar with the programme to be able to accommodate your queries.

Address them instead to the Graduate Admissions Office; they'd surely be happy to field such questions, and you can be sure that you're not the only one curious about the details of this course. You could even choose to remain anonymous if you're paranoid.

I already have done, and those lovely accommodating people didn't reply.

Anyway, I'm egotistical and narcissistic enough to believe that when I do apply (and I have no doubt it'll be the best application Oxford will ever receive) I can blag the interview with ease because 'hey, I'm a frickin genius'. However, the cold hard truth, which reality smacks me around the head with the force of an oncoming train, tells me that I have to work bloody hard... but luckily I find writing (both fiction and academic) extremely easy.

In reality (which is something I despise) I do understand the necessity of hard work, hopefully that'll show through in my application and the work I present them. The fact that this is a new course and Oxford isn't well known for film gives me plenty of hope, however this: "Average numbers admitted per year: 8" makes me nervous.
Hi Phranky
It's now 2010, have you got on to the M.St. Film Aesthetics course or not?
How was the admissions process?
I plan to give it a shot myself for 2012

regards
I'm applying this year for 2011 entry :smile: will keep you posted timothycappa.
any news on this?
If he came across in his personal statement and interview like he does on here, I'd be surprised if he got in.
Reply 8
Any news or updates on this? I'm looking at applying this year. If anyone could give some info on what the course/admissions process is like I'd be hugely grateful.
Reply 9
Original post by ls822
Any news or updates on this? I'm looking at applying this year. If anyone could give some info on what the course/admissions process is like I'd be hugely grateful.

I'm applying too. The course's website is pretty informative. Good luck to both of us.
Reply 10
I am interested in Film Aesthetics mst in Oxford as well, so trying to find someone had been graduated or is studying at the moment.
Hope you guys who left comments here got the offer and would like to answer my queries.
No matter if this still working I will put down my questions with a little hope:
1. Oxford ask to submit CV ,is that means they prefer someone have job experiences, like placement or internship?
But for me, I studying business as undergraduate, so I take applying film aesthetics in master as an opportunity to entry different field for further development. So is this necessary for me to get a placement before applying for it?
2.if someone know this degree really well, please share with us your experience.
kind regards
Original post by wayzee
I am interested in Film Aesthetics mst in Oxford as well, so trying to find someone had been graduated or is studying at the moment.
Hope you guys who left comments here got the offer and would like to answer my queries.
No matter if this still working I will put down my questions with a little hope:
1. Oxford ask to submit CV ,is that means they prefer someone have job experiences, like placement or internship?
But for me, I studying business as undergraduate, so I take applying film aesthetics in master as an opportunity to entry different field for further development. So is this necessary for me to get a placement before applying for it?
2.if someone know this degree really well, please share with us your experience.
kind regards

From what I understand, practical experience is not necessary at all, as the course is theoretical and looks at film from an academic and aesthetic point of view. I'm applying too - good luck
I'm also thinking of applying to this course, and would really appreciate some feedback about what the course is like... did any of you guys make it in?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending