The Student Room Group

How much Student Finance would I be eligible for?

Hi, so I am 18 and currently in my first year of a degree at UWE but due to me and my family not getting along it's unlikely that they will be supporting me next year.
Assuming I'm able to change my SFE details, my question is that if I am on my own, completely independent, then how much Student Finance am I eligible for?
I'm thinking if it's not that much and I won't be able to make it work I may move in with an Aunt or other relative, but it would be better if I just cut away from my family full stop if that makes sense? If I were to go live with another relative it'd cause tension between family members.

Before you tell me that I'm being stupid/immature etc. I'm not, I don't hate my family, nor am I ungrateful, we just have a low tolerance of each other so distancing ourselves is a form of preserving our relationships.
You'd be entitled to the full loan plus grant.
Reply 2
In order to be considered independent and assessed on your own income, you would have to be completely estranged from your parents and have third party evidence for this. Not getting on very well with them, living with a relative and having them refuse to support you financially, sadly doesn't make you independent in the eyes of Student Finance. Your relationship must have broken down completely and irretrievably. From your description, it sounds like it hasn't yet and you're trying to prevent this happening (which is good for you, but doesn't help with SF).

If you already live away from home during term time, you would get no more Maintenance Loan/Grant than you do now. If you live at home during term time now and would move away during term time, you would get slightly more. However, the extra isn't guaranteed to cover any increased accommodation costs.
Above sums it up totally.
Reply 4
So even if I stayed in Bristol the whole year, didn't live with relatives and didn't get supported financially or any other way from my family, I would still not be independent? That sucks...
Reply 5
Original post by La_Bilbo
So even if I stayed in Bristol the whole year, didn't live with relatives and didn't get supported financially or any other way from my family, I would still not be independent? That sucks...

I'm afraid so. You're right - it does suck when you're doing your best to get along in life.
That's normally the way for a lot of students. But their parents income still counts.
Original post by La_Bilbo

Yes, because how would student finance know you would stay in Bristol the whole year and not get any money from your parents
A lot of people don't get financial support from their parents. Doesn't make them independent.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending