The Student Room Group

If you hadn't studied medicine, what would you have pursued instead?

:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Big Thinker

I think I would have enjoyed being a wildlife/zoo vet as I'm quite into animal biology.

Alternatively maybe something to do with history...but then I think to myself, just because I enjoy going to museums and galleries in my free time, does that mean I'd enjoy working in one as a full time job? Probably not. I think realistically it would be too sedentary for me and I'd constantly be worried about the lack of jobs in the field.

I whinge and grumble about it a lot, but honestly medicine is pretty much the perfect fit for me. On good days I feel very lucky indeed to be doing what I do.

(Today's a good day btw :wink:)

Spoiler

Probably would have pursued maths (did maths and further at a level) with a view to going into finance
Some sort of pure science and then gone into academia

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I seriously considered Architecture but I'd have had to spend some serious time honing my drawing again (been about 10 years since I did Art GCSE) and I was concerned that I might not be able to be able to work as an architect in the UK after studying Architecture in Denmark (where I live).

Before all this I considered language teaching (and decided against it pretty quickly), considered translation (and decided against it pretty quickly), considered studying a new language, eg Mandarin or Japanese, and going into something with that (but decided against that pretty quickly since I can't stand the idea of the job situation).

Basically I didn't know what I was going to do if I didn't get into Medicine. I had no real plan at this point. I've looked into Social Work before but I'm not sure it would have engaged my brain enough. I might have been at a disadvantage being foreign and working as a Social Worker here, as well. No need to give people who already feel you're sticking your beak in the extra ammunition of you being a 'bloody foreigner'.
Engineering without a doubt. Maths is one of the few things that I'm actually good at.
Original post by Big Thinker

Whilst Medicine gives the illusion of progression, it cruelly takes a long time before financial break even - and by then, a lot will wonder where the hell their 20's went.

Put it this way - there will come a time when you meet someone who left school, become a plumber or something, bought a few houses, maybe bought a small business. He may have more money, a less stressful life, beautiful family and all at an earlier age.

By the time most people realise what the following really means, its usually too late for the person to do something about it.
"If you're so smart, how come you ain't rich?"
Ditto Democracy with Vet Med, or maybe zoology. Maybe even another HCP like physiotherapy or nursing. If not that, then probably something like maths/physics/computer science!
paramedic science
Chemistry or Economics
Original post by Parent_help
Whilst Medicine gives the illusion of progression, it cruelly takes a long time before financial break even - and by then, a lot will wonder where the hell their 20's went.

Put it this way - there will come a time when you meet someone who left school, become a plumber or something, bought a few houses, maybe bought a small business. He may have more money, a less stressful life, beautiful family and all at an earlier age.

By the time most people realise what the following really means, its usually too late for the person to do something about it.

There are many ways to make extra cash whilst relatively junior if really want to. There is also nothing to stop you buying property on the side, particularly if your partner is in a similar profession salary wise. As you will be training in the city centre it isn't a bad idea to keep that in mind when buying your first place so that you can use a ltb mortgage to buy a second home whilst letting the first.

Whilst the odd school friend may go off and "make it" the majority won't (my alcoholic neighbour is a plummer who comes highly recommended on trade websites comes to mind but i somehow doubt he makes a killing given he lives next to myself in a similarly priced flat). I don't really know how much the average plummer makes and i don't particularly believe the quoted google answer of 21-35k but i doubt that (outside of London/South East) it's going to be crazy high.

The wage in medicine isn't ridiculously high but it will comfortably put you in the top 10% of earners relatively quickly with the potential to enter the top 1% eventually.

The lifestyle is more stressful but to be honest you know that when you get in. For some people the high adrenaline lifestyle (particularly in some of the busier specialties) is what gets them out of bed in the morning.
Original post by plrodham1
There are many ways to make extra cash whilst relatively junior if really want to....

Don't disagree with you - But how many do you know who does?

The lifestyle is more stressful but to be honest you know that when you get in. For some people the high adrenaline lifestyle (particularly in some of the busier specialties) is what gets them out of bed in the morning.

Great for when young, free and single.
Reply 13

I know a plumber and a few electricians and none of them have ever owned multiple houses. I would ask whether you've ever actually known a plumber to own multiple houses.
Original post by Ronove
a plumber and a few electricians and none of them have ever owned multiple houses.

Its normal to deny that which goes against core intrinsic beliefs - so I forgive you :tongue:
Reply 15
Its normal to deny that which goes against core intrinsic beliefs - so I forgive you :tongue:

...That's a no, then?
Don't disagree with you - But how many do you know who does?

Great for when young, free and single.

I know of quite a few who make substantially more through things such as locum. I have spent most of my placements in surgical specialties so my views are a little biased towards them but if you're willing to put in the time (which many of them are) they can actually rack up quite an amount each month.

It is good whilst young (single is quite variable depending on your partner and their understanding) however as you become older you begin to gain access to other sources of income (through research and the private industry) whilst reducing working hours if you really want to. Of course this is again specialty dependant though as a consultant you can still locum.
I know of quite a few who make substantially more through things such as locum......

....however as you become older you begin to gain access to other sources of income (through research and the private industry) whilst reducing working hours if you really want to. Of course this is again specialty dependant though as a consultant you can still locum.

I'm pleased for you - but I don't believe others are as clued up on the inevitability of choices presented to them.

The majority of med students will end up in primary care which has a natural ceiling on pay - which is "OK". However, by the time people get there (in 30's), they have to pay off loans, buy a house etc - and will have realised that they are effectively trapped by choices made earlier (naively perhaps?)

In the end, its a horrible fact for "artisan" personalities" that those that get the best out of others, get paid more than those that do the donkey work.

If you find a highly paid niche (locum?) you can congratulate yourself on a job well done on your career (locum isn't btw), but the majority will not even get there or stay like that (if they want a happy family life)

The best thing seems to be running a private clinic to pay doctors to pump a lot of people's faces with Botox.
(edited 9 years ago)
Muggle studies ofc
Probably would have applied for Natural Sciences, but no idea what I would have done with it.

I did consider VetMed but it lost its appeal after I did work experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending