The Student Room Group

Bill Cosby - Innocent or Rapist?

Most of you are probably already aware of the allegations made against Bill Cosby concerning the rape and molestation of a number women and girls (I think about 10 now) several decades ago. My question to you is this: do you think he did it?

The latest.

I'm taking the position of innocent until proven guilty, which is what we all should be doing. Whether he did it or not, it is unfair to tarnish his reputation and label him a rapist or sex offender until there's actually some sort of conviction or, at the very least, some evidence -- right now all we have are accusations.

One thing I do find suspicious however is that it's only now that all these women have come forward. While it is possible that some 'coming out' inspired others to do so, it is also possible that the allegations could have affected some (or many) of these women's memories of the past -- what may have been an innocent encounter could be remembered quite differently under the circumstances of this widely publicized controversy, especially as these are memories from more than 30 years ago. Furthermore, to play Devil's advocate, there's the possibility that many of these women are lying for attention and/or a monetary settlement.

But, in the end, we'll have to wait and see.

Scroll to see replies

Innocent till proven guilty. Hate the pretentious "trial by media" attitude papers like the Guardian have.
I think he's guilty. You know at first the women coming forward were White, so some saw evil Whitey females framing an innocent Black man (Whoopi Goldberg) but now even Black women are speaking out.
Original post by somemightsay888
Innocent till proven guilty. Hate the pretentious "trial by media" attitude papers like the Guardian have.

What are you talking about? We live in a democracy! The public should decide whether or not someone is guilty. It's that straight forward.

Are you one of those stupid lefty communists that hates democracy? Why are you so scared of democracy?
You're obviously swayed towards innocent.... Don't pretend you aren't.

None of us are in anyway capable to decide whether he is innocent or not. And I think it'll be concieted to do so. To try and come up with little reasons for our stances when we know **** all.

Yep, since when were we allowed to judge off some comments made by biased journalists? Its insane how somebody is accused of something and then the papers are screaming guilty before the trial.
Original post by SHallowvale
What are you talking about? We live in a democracy! The public should decide whether or not someone is guilty. It's that straight forward.

Are you one of those stupid lefty communists that hates democracy? Why are you so scared of democracy?

go back to /pol/, troll
Isn't the man who wears the sweaters on Oprah Winfrey?
Reply 8
Seems guilty to me. Nobody just falls into 12/15(?) allegations like that. Especially when you have women like Janice Dickinson who literally have nothing to gain, she's a multimillionaire and runs one of the most successful modelling agencies worldwide.

I never liked Bill. He was always so snobby and judgemental. And you'll often find that it's the overly judgmental people that have most skeletons in their closet.
I think he did rape them.

On why they all decided to speak now? First of all, maybe because of his status? Bill Cosby was loved by EVERYONE. He was America's favourite family man, at the height of his career. One of the women spoke to a lawyer and her agent about it and was laughed out of the room. Some women who get raped/assaulted by common Dave down the pub don't come forward so I can only imagine how these women felt. We can also see this different cases against celebrities/popular people (e.g Kobe Bryant, the Steubenville case which sympathised with the rapists) as people say "why would he rape her when he can have anyone" attitude. Also, a snowball effect. One comes forward which encourages all the others as they are not alone and have some strength to speak up.

I never liked him anyway, he was always talking about African-americans and judging them/bashing them.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by SHallowvale

Within democracy there is a concept called the rule of law, which allows everyone the right to a fair trial.
Media bias could influence the jury by swaying their emotions.
It's not my job to say.
Original post by TolerantBeing

None of us are in anyway capable to decide whether he is innocent or not. And I think it'll be concieted to do so. To try and come up with little reasons for our stances when we know **** all.

I did say I was taking the stance of innocent until proven guilty.

Personally, however, while there may well have been abuse and/or rape, I'm currently leaning towards the notion that some of the accusers probably aren't legitimate.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Professor Purple
Within democracy there is a concept called the rule of law, which allows everyone the right to a fair trial.
Media bias could influence the jury by swaying their emotions.

...it was a joke... :frown:

This. All the feminazis, all the "trial by media" people and the rest can just **** off and then **** off again He's innocent until proven guilty, and that's all there is to it. Let's talk about this again if and when it goes to trial.
Some people are kicking up a fuss because he got a standing ovation at one of his shows. Some people on twitter are even criticising the audience who did that. Because as soon as someone is accused of rape it doesn't matter what they do, they are scum and probably guilty. And if you disagree you're a rape apologist or part of the rape culture, or something to that effect. Typical behaviour from feminist bullying bandwagon scumbags.
(edited 9 years ago)
I really hate the feminazis, the Grauniad's journalism, and all that. But although he is innocent until proven guilty, in a bet I would put my money on guilty, as I think 10 women saying that he raped them is a fairly decent tip-off.
How the **** should I know?

I don't know the guy, and even if I did I still wouldn't know him really.
Reply 17
Original post by TolerantBeing

Best post on here. Well said.
From the stories I've heard about his off-camera behaviour I wouldn't be surprised at all.
I vote guilty. To the gallows!

PS. Seth Rogen was on Real Time with Bill Maher last week and he said that everyone kind of knew about it, they'd all heard the stories. He also said that he wondered how no one ever picked up on them.

IMO it's the same thing with Rotherham, whenever we afford a celebrity or a minority or anyone special rights over the rest of us, this **** happens.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending