The Student Room Group

An Archaeology splinter sub-sub-forum

Scroll to see replies

The Guardian Newspaper has Nottingham in the top 10 for Archaeology (I think they're about 6th or 7th) so one would imagine Nottingham is rather good.
Reply 61
Nottingham always seems to be in the top 10 in the league tables for Archaeology. It was one of my choices - the only reason I turned it down was the size of the uni and number of students, rather than the quality of the course. It is a really nice uni, though. :biggrin:
Reply 62
Hey, good to see your coming to Leicester, I do some work in the Archaeology department here, though I am really a single hons history student. If you've got any questions about medieval archaeology (not classical) or Leicester in general feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer them :smile:
Reply 63
I think Nottingham doesn't arrange digs for its students either. Though I could be wrong, but I went on a dig in the summer and there were a few nottingham students there.

My uni decisions have almost been made.
Cardiff will be my insurance choice so now I need to try and decide between Durham and UCL for my firm choice.
I'm going to the open day on the 21st so hopefully should be able to decide then. Is anyone else going to this?
Reply 64
Archaealcomahologist
I think Nottingham doesn't arrange digs for its students either. Though I could be wrong, but I went on a dig in the summer and there were a few nottingham students there.

I went on a dig in the Summer and there were students from Nottingham...they have to complete a certain amount of (funded) practical experience to complete their degree, I think...
Reply 65
'Death of a Joyce scholar'
I went on a dig in the Summer and there were students from Nottingham...they have to complete a certain amount of (funded) practical experience to complete their degree, I think...

yup, what I was trying to say was that Nottingham don't arrange it. The student have to arrange it themselves.
Archaealcomahologist
yup, what I was trying to say was that Nottingham don't arrange it. The student have to arrange it themselves.

Don't you have to arrange fieldwork yourself most places? If it's university-lead ones or not. Apart from when they have an obligatory training dig that everyone goes on, before going elsewhere.

When I went on a dig with Bournemouth uni, most people there were Bmouth students because they have to go, but there were also people from other unis including Oxford working towards their field practice quota.
Reply 67
On the course that I will hopefully be doing at Sheffield uni they will arrange 4 weeks training and I will have to organise at least another 30 working days on top to pass.
Reply 68
Does anyone know how good York is for archaeology?
Reply 69
It's quite good, the students I know there really enjoy it.
But they tend to be focussed on medieval and prehistory, so if your prefered era is inbetween they may not be the best choice.
Reply 70
having still not heard anything at all from UCL, am I to assume that they just haven't got round to rejecting me yet? Or does anyone think there might still be a chance that they are still considering people?
jarvais
having still not heard anything at all from UCL, am I to assume that they just haven't got round to rejecting me yet? Or does anyone think there might still be a chance that they are still considering people?

I don't know what UCL are doing, to be honest! I had an interview nearly 2 months ago now and haven't heard anything... so maybe they're taking ages to consider borderline people, or maybe they are just leaving everyone to be auto-rejected by UCAS in May.

Have you contacted them? I emailed them a while back and got no response...
Reply 72
elyim
I don't know what UCL are doing, to be honest! I had an interview nearly 2 months ago now and haven't heard anything... so maybe they're taking ages to consider borderline people, or maybe they are just leaving everyone to be auto-rejected by UCAS in May.

Have you contacted them? I emailed them a while back and got no response...

I did email them a week or so ago to ask if they had actually received my application but have got no reply yet and as it is now the holidays, I don't really expect one. I wish they weren't too lazy to just reject all those they don't want and allow us to get on with choosing amongst our other offers!! good to hear I'm not the only one though!! and despite what I said, really hope we do get offers! good luck!
Reply 73
Aula
It's quite good, the students I know there really enjoy it.
But they tend to be focussed on medieval and prehistory, so if your prefered era is inbetween they may not be the best choice.

Well i'm doing historical archaeology so that shouldn't be a problem as there's a wider sope but thanks for the advice.
Reply 74
yay archaeology! knew i'd find it one day
Reply 75
I am likely to be getting a phone interview with UCL... Good news as I had given up hope for UCL but bad news as I hate phones!! :s-smilie:
Any ideas what they might ask over the phone? Or rather, what did people get asked in the face to face interviews?
I seem to be a bit beind in interview queries as it seems that everyone else has already had theirs!
I finally got an offer from UCL through yesterday XD.

foutoosh
I am likely to be getting a phone interview with UCL... Good news as I had given up hope for UCL but bad news as I hate phones!! :s-smilie:
Any ideas what they might ask over the phone? Or rather, what did people get asked in the face to face interviews?
I seem to be a bit beind in interview queries as it seems that everyone else has already had theirs!

I got asked (face to face) why UCL, why London from an archaeology point of view, and then questions relating what I'd said in my personal statement - excavation experience, museum ethics, standing buildings...
Reply 77
my interview was strange and i rambled on about smog, but i got a place, so just show an interest in london and the uni (state the obvious why dont i) also, thay ask you what aspects of arch ur interested in, i said flints, dont say flints, they look at you weird. they also asked about museums and what makes a good exhibition. just talk crap.
hey! any Archaeologists here who are already at uni? If not, can I help youse applying? Feel free to ask :smile:

I'm a first year Archaeologist at Chester Uni :biggrin:
Reply 79
thanks alot for your tips guys :smile: really useful to know roughly the TYPE of question they might ask. keep it all coming though you can never be well enough prepared!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending