The Student Room Group

If your mum had a £100k inheritance, would you expect her to give you some?

My granddad died recently and my mum inherited his "fortune" 50/50 with her brother.

She now has well over 100k and maybe hundreds of thousands.

I am unemployed, and struggling for money, but I don't get any?

I want to go back to uni = £40k
I want to do a round the world trip = £20k

Yet it will stay in her bank account and rot because she is too boring to do anything with it. She doesn't even need to work anymore, yet hasn't given up her job yet. :rolleyes:

Am I being deluded or is she just nasty?

Scroll to see replies

Maybe she's keeping it in the account to gain interest so she's got more inheritance to give to you, when she passes?
You are being deluded. £100k is not a lot of money. At the most it's about 5-6 years worth of money so she would definitely need to work.

Also it's not your money and what she does with it is quite frankly none of your business.

Posted from TSR Mobile
So in total, you want your mum to give you £60k leaving her with £40k? I do agree that she should give you a bit of it but remember, it's hers. She's obliged to do what she wants with it :smile:
Her money, her choice what she does with it.
Reply 5
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel
My granddad died recently and my mum inherited his "fortune" 50/50 with her brother.

She now has well over 100k and maybe hundreds of thousands.

Yet it will stay in her bank account and rot because she is too boring to do anything with it. She doesn't even need to work anymore, yet hasn't given up her job yet. :rolleyes:

Am I being deluded or is she just nasty?

Her money, her choice. Simple.
Are you stupid? "Given up her job" wtf do you expect 100K to last forever!

Oh and good on you for insulting your mother on a public forum, you stupid ****
Must be a troll.

Stop being a selfish **** and make your own way in the world. It's her money not yours. You're essentially demanding some of her inheritance. Whether she gives you anything is up to her. If I knew I had such a selfish child I wouldn't give you a penny. You're entirely undeserving.
Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel

She doesn't even need to work anymore, yet hasn't given up her job yet. :rolleyes:

You are delusional. :lolwut:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why would she pay out £40k for uni when you can get a student loan?
It sounds like you're trying to blame your mother for your own failures (if you have any).
Original post by Genocidal
Must be a troll.

Seriously? IKB is the best troll here.
I'd expect that we'd be shopping in Waitrose instead of Aldi, and that I'd get that new bookshelf I've been asking for for years, and maybe an invite on a family holiday, but I certainly wouldn't expect her to give me the majority of her cash.
Wtf,

Go get a job and earn your own money

Or wait until your mother's demise
I am familiar with the nature of the thread (troll) but I want to reply anyway.

As aforementioned, £100,000 is not as much money as you would think. With the average salary being around £25,000, that money would be enough to last 4 years without work, and she would be living as though she had just an average salary.

Something which I think about none too infrequently lately is how obsessed people are with money. Money is a secondary reinforcer with which people seem to associate happiness. I think it is so over-anticipated, the idea of earning a lot of money leading to inevitable joy and fulfillment, that it takes over people's lives and some people actually miss out on enjoyment as they're busy awaiting future success. It's quite ironic.

If you were to die tomorrow, would you rather die rich or happy? It's a shame how people's goals have changed over the years!

TLDR; She will soon be dead and then you can inherit that money for yourself so just be patient
Original post by karmacrunch
You are delusional. :lolwut:

Posted from TSR Mobile

A delusional troll.
money does not make you happy
you have no say in what she does with that money :s-smilie: unless she owes you money
Original post by R Dragon
Wtf,

Go get a job and earn your own money

Or wait until your mother's demise

She probably won't leave him anything anyway :wink: So he'll be waiting in anticipation ...only to get nothing :tongue:
You are deluded, I can assure you of that.

Quick Reply

Latest