The Student Room Group

Where should I go fir my first holiday?

I know it sounds sad, but I've never been out of the country before! I've come from a council estate background where my family were always struggling. Now I have a bit of disposable income I have more opportunities to do what I never could do whilst living poor.

I'm wondering what country I should visit first. Where should I go?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

The Netherlands :wink:
America or Australia or Italy!
the Caribbean :biggrin:
Reply 4
Do you like Asia or Europe?

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you've never been abroad before then somewhere simple like France could be a good start. Or perhaps a resort for a holiday with your friends could be fun?
Dubai :h:
Reply 7
I hadn't been on a plane or been abroad until I was 20 and I went to Iceland. For a first time holiday I would recommend somewhere close to home such as France, Holland, Ireland.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by shawn_o1
The Netherlands :wink:

I would recommend The Netherlands too. Language isn't really a barrier as most people speak fantastic English, and the country is beautiful. It is great fun cycling around!
cyprus - it looks and seems very foreign but they are welcoming people and many speak English as we've had quite a lot of service personnel there for years or Rhodes as it's inexensive and again English is widely spoken.

English is spoken widely in several countries - Spain, Malta and even France, although they'd hate to admit it.Look at where you can afford to go and eat the local food /drink local drinks as it's cheaper and more fun.
Cuba!
Australia or North America!
All depends on what your interests are and how much money you have to spend.

Also how much culture shock you think you can cope with- somewhere like Iceland, the Netherlands or Spain will be different enough from the UK to be interesting but similar enough that you're unlikely to be too shocked. Whereas you might want to dive in at the deep end with a trip to somewhere totally different. It's a sad fact that you can find English speakers pretty much everywhere nowadays so don't let language put you off too much.

I'm going to put in a vote for Slovenia- not too far, cheap to get to (this depends though what your local airport is), lots of variety, easy to get around, nice food, beautiful mountains, nice old towns, safe, efficient, friendly.

Whichever place you choose, you can't really go wrong.
Italy. Great food, people, museums and culture!
Reply 14
France!! It's one of the top tourist destinations! It's not that far from the UK :smile:
datpiff, I think you should visit Greece. It is an ideal destination for nature and history lovers.
China,it is a good place which include all the things described above.
Original post by Percival55
datpiff, I think you should visit Greece. It is an ideal destination for nature and history lovers.

is Greece safe at the moment?
Reply 18
Original post by Percival55

Greece seems nice. I was thinking about somewhere not filled with absolute bellend British Tourists like Magaluf or Benidorm lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by datpiff
Greece seems nice. I was thinking about somewhere not filled with absolute bellend British Tourists like Magaluf or Benidorm lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What's your budget, and what do you want to do on holiday?

Quick Reply

Latest