The Student Room Group

Manchester vs. Leeds: Which northern city is the best to live in?

Poll

Which city is the best to live in?

Which of these UK cities is the best to live in? I am looking at a choice between these two northern cities to live in and I am stuck between the two. I've lived in both before, but there are so many advantages and disadvantages to both that I am not sure.

Generally it's nightlife, value for money (in terms of housing), decent gyms, public transport, things to do and friendliness and how down to earth the population of the city is.

I like how Manchester is more gritty but down to earth (there are way more locals living in the city and I love the pride that a lot of people have with being Mancunians), the diverse number of gigs happening (small underground acts to huge stadium acts), and the good public transport. I also like Leeds and it's compact nature, the great market, the shopping and the closeness to the Yorkshire Dales. Leeds also the safest city I've been in and I feel much safer than in Manchester.

I think Leeds is a bit more pretentious and snobby for some reason, there is less of a community feel (unlike Manchester where everyone is Manc and proud), it's hard to get around. Manchester is a bit more expensive, can be rougher and chavs are more visible and active in the city centre (though I'm used to living in rough areas and dealing with chavs) and it doesn't look as nice.

I am not sure. What do TSR users think?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Leeds is so behind in terms of accessibility

(maybe that's why it's cheaper)
Reply 2
Original post by shawn_o1
Leeds is so behind in terms of accessibility

(maybe that's why it's cheaper)

Yeah it's a crime that Leeds doesn't have a mass transit system like a tram or underground metro. Buses are a pain in the ass, though if you live in Headingley or near to city centre you don't notice. The lack of nightbus is also pretty sad.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Manchester all the way. Cheap, good shopping,great nightlife and there's always something to do.
I'd rather jump off a cliff than live in Manchester.

And Leeds is in Yorkshire. :lovedup:

I know which one I'd pick! :mmm:
Reply 5
Original post by Maid Marian

I dunno. I like Leeds, but I'm having second thoughts because transport is crap, I find the city is too 'matey' and the city is a bit more pretentious compared to Manchester (yeah not all people, but that's the vibe I get). The nightlife is pretty good and compact though and the rent is relatively cheaper!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by datpiff
I dunno. I like Leeds, but I'm having second thoughts because transport is crap, I find the city is too 'matey' and the people are a bit pretentious compared to the people in Manchester (yeah not all people, but that's the vibe I get) .

Posted from TSR Mobile

But all those Yorkshire accents! They make me weak at the knees! :blush: :blush: :blush:
Manchester, 109%. You can't get an awesome city experience on a Yorkshire accent...
Reply 8

I think Yorkshire accents are mostly terrible (yeah my accent sucks a bit). On women even more. Depends what part of Yorkshire you're in. I suppose in middle class and rural areas they aren't bad but go into the depths of Barnsley, Doncaster and Hull and everyone sounds like Devvo.

http://youtu.be/7RBelz8BgX0

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
(Super) Leeds any day of the week!
But all those Yorkshire accents! They make me weak at the knees! :blush: :blush: :blush:

Good to know, Marian! :biggrin:
Original post by datpiff
I think Yorkshire accents are mostly terrible (yeah my accent sucks a bit). On women even more. Depends what part of Yorkshire you're in. I suppose in middle class and rural areas they aren't bad but go into the depths of Barnsley, Doncaster and Hull and everyone sounds like Devvo.

http://youtu.be/7RBelz8BgX0

Posted from TSR Mobile

I love them :colondollar: Not so much on women, but on men I think they sound hot. :blush:
Reply 12
I love them :colondollar: Not so much on women, but on men I think they sound hot. :blush:

Leeds on a Saturday night. You'll be in heaven :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by datpiff
Leeds on a Saturday night. You'll be in heaven :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Doubt it, I only want classy Yorkshire men :rofl: :rofl:

We're all classy! :biggrin:
Reply 15

I thought you had a Yorkshire fetish? Fantasies of men in flatcaps with whippets and tea bathing in gravy with Yorkshire puds floating around?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by datpiff
I thought you had a Yorkshire fetish? Fantasies of men in flatcaps with whippets and tea bathing in gravy with Yorkshire puds floating around?

Posted from TSR Mobile

:rofl:
W-what's a whippet? :K:

Yorkshire puddings :coma: :drool:
Leeds is mean't to be less deprived, but nevertheless I wasn't overly impressed with the class of person you seen in the centre compared to Birmingham or London. Manchester also feels more cosmopolitan.
Original post by datpiff
Yeah it's a crime that Leeds doesn't have a mass transit system like a tram or underground metro. Buses are a pain in the ass, though if you live in Headingley or near to city centre you don't notice. The lack of nightbus is also pretty sad.

Posted from TSR Mobile

We are getting a Trambus thing in the next few years.

I think there's a handful of buses during the night.

Original post by datpiff
Which of these UK cities is the best to live in? I am looking at a choice between these two northern cities to live in and I am stuck between the two. I've lived in both before, but there are so many advantages and disadvantages to both that I am not sure.

Generally it's nightlife, value for money (in terms of housing), decent gyms, public transport, things to do and friendliness and how down to earth the population of the city is.

I like how Manchester is more gritty but down to earth (there are way more locals living in the city and I love the pride that a lot of people have with being Mancunians), the diverse number of gigs happening (small underground acts to huge stadium acts), and the good public transport. I also like Leeds and it's compact nature, the great market, the shopping and the closeness to the Yorkshire Dales. Leeds also the safest city I've been in and I feel much safer than in Manchester.

I think Leeds is a bit more pretentious and snobby for some reason, there is less of a community feel (unlike Manchester where everyone is Manc and proud), it's hard to get around. Manchester is a bit more expensive, can be rougher and chavs are more visible and active in the city centre (though I'm used to living in rough areas and dealing with chavs) and it doesn't look as nice.

I am not sure. What do TSR users think?

I live in Leeds now and have lived in West Yorkshire since i was 2 so i love Leeds however while i would certainly live and work in either city, Manchester narrowly gets it due to the size and bigger city appeal. There's not much one has that the other does not though.

Personally i've never thought as people as snobby here, infact i think we are commoners. Interesting.

*This assumes that we are wanting to live in the city center, Manchester's larger size weakens its case in the suburbs because there are even more chav's and the like while Leeds gets very nice in the suburbs to the western side of the city, very quickly, while away from the north east (Seacroft ect..) and to a lesser degree Beeston it's bad.
Reply 19
Leeds, but I maybe a bit biased having studied there. Have visited Manchester a few times and it doesn't have the same charm. Leeds has everything, great campus, superb city centre and markets, Yorkshire dales on doorstep and of course the legendary Otley Run pub crawl - what more could a student want..

Latest