The Student Room Group

Which A-Levels should I take to get into Oxbidge?

Hiya guys :smile:

It's that time of the year when I've visited plenty of sixth forms and to start seriously thinking about the A-levels I want to take. I really want to study law at university, particularly in Oxbridge or Edinburgh University. But when I went on 'Which? University' there was no specification for Law (except for English Lit or Lang) in which A-levels I should do to apply. I was thinking of doing:

-Maths
-English Lit
-Latin/French (need to decide on one of them)
-Further Maths/Chemistry (I enjoy chemistry and Maths a lot)

And will I be able to get into Oxbridge? So far I've been predicted to get 9A*s and 1A in my GCSEs :smile:

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by neil20143

It's that time of the year when I've visited plenty of sixth forms and to start seriously thinking about the A-levels I want to take. I really want to study law at university, particularly in Oxbridge or Edinburgh University. But when I went on 'Which? University' there was no specification for Law (except for English Lit or Lang) in which A-levels I should do to apply. I was thinking of doing:

-Maths
-English Lit

And will I be able to get into Oxbridge? So far I've been predicted to get 9A*s and 1A in my GCSEs :smile:

Thanks!

Maths - perfect
English lit - perfect
French - perfect

Then I'd say chemistry :smile:

I actually study, Maths, Further maths, Chemistry and French out of those so if you have any questions I can answer.
Reply 2
Original post by neil20143

-Maths
-English Lit

Thanks!

For Law the best 2 A levels to take would be History and English Literature, generally essay subjects are best in preparation for a law degree (RS,Philosophy,Politics etc etc). Personally I recommend you take French, English Lit, History, Maths, and another subject (many at Oxbridge have taken 5AS levels). Probably this last subject would be FM, as you can self-teach that for AS rather easily :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrJAKEE
For Law the best 2 A levels to take would be History and English Literature, generally essay subjects are best in preparation for a law degree (RS,Philosophy,Politics etc etc). Personally I recommend you take French, English Lit, History, Maths, and another subject (many at Oxbridge have taken 5AS levels). Probably this last subject would be FM, as you can self-teach that for AS rather easily :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

History isn't necessary, as French has essay content. As well as English lit.

So maths, lit, French is fine. With chemistry as a fifth as there are extended answers in that too, Nd you need logical grounding.

Don't take a fifth, it's pointless. Especially with the new system
Reply 4
I'm predicted an A* in history GCSEs but it's the only grade I am not sure about at all so glad it's not necessary!
Pick whatever you like the best. For Law, you can take most subjects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by L'Evil Fish
History isn't necessary, as French has essay content. As well as English lit.

So maths, lit, French is fine. With chemistry as a fifth as there are extended answers in that too, Nd you need logical grounding.

Don't take a fifth, it's pointless. Especially with the new system

I would have to disagree.. History requires a lot more detailed content (as it is in English) than French, and if you look at the many people who have got into Oxbridge (I have no idea about Edinburgh) they most likely have History & English Literature. I think everyone if they are serious about going to Oxbridge for a competitive degree (like Law) should be serious about taking a fifth subject if they want to be very competitive, the skills learnt in FM as recommended I would argue give a student more logical skills than one doing Chemistry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrJAKEE
I would have to disagree.. History requires a lot more detailed content (as it is in English) than French, and if you look at the many people who have got into Oxbridge (I have no idea about Edinburgh) they most likely have History & English Literature. I think everyone if they are serious about going to Oxbridge for a competitive degree (like Law) should be serious about taking a fifth subject if they want to be very competitive, the skills learnt in FM as recommended I would argue give a student more logical skills than one doing Chemistry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well you'll actually find that people get into Cambridge for Law with Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry. So your point is irrelevant, you don't need history at all OP.

5 doesn't give you any advantage. I'm saying that as someone who will have like 7 AS. Quality not quantity.
Reply 8
Well you'll actually find that people get into Cambridge for Law with Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry. So your point is irrelevant, you don't need history at all OP.

5 doesn't give you any advantage. I'm saying that as someone who will have like 7 AS. Quality not quantity.

Of course there are, but they are in the minority & will most likely find it more tough in their first years at uni because they didn't take essay subjects. It's all about quality and if OP you are good at Maths you won't find FM a challenge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
For Law there are usually no specific subjects stated - even someone with all science subjects would be considered. What they do want is MEGA HIGH GRADES.

Check out the admissions statement for Law at Bristol : http://www.bristol.ac.uk/law/study/ugdegrees/ugadmissions/ It makes it very clear what that this Uni is looking for.
All sound great - some other exceptionally considered subjects:

- PE
- General Studies
- Critical Thinking
- Music

Good luck !
Original post by MrJAKEE
Of course there are, but they are in the minority & will most likely find it more tough in their first years at uni because they didn't take essay subjects. It's all about quality and if OP you are good at Maths you won't find FM a challenge.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cambridge have stated that science students do just as well as arts.
Original post by MrJAKEE

Posted from TSR Mobile

It isn't true that most people who got into Oxbridge for law have History and Eng Lit (I think that's what's being suggested).

There are no recommended A-level subjects for applying to Law at Oxford and it is not true that Oxford prefers candidates to have 'essay-based subjects'. (Whether students actually find them to be helpful preparation for doing law I make no comment on.) All the combinations the OP suggested are fine.
Original post by beyknowles

- General Studies
- Critical Thinking

This is total rubbish.
Most good Unis disregard these two subjects for ALL subjects.

You could take them as a 4th A level if you feel like wasting a few hours a week on a meaningless A level but NOT as a main subject, as it will be disregarded by any sensible Uni offering Law.
So much bad advice.

OP please ignore and pick

English lit, French, Maths and chemistry.
You'll be fine. Do some reading about law and general society maybe.
Reply 15
Original post by beyknowles
All sound great - some other exceptionally considered subjects:

- PE
- General Studies
- Critical Thinking
- Music

Good luck !

I'm sure :P

Thanks guys! Really appreciate everyone's input. I think I'll keep my subjects as it is :smile:
So much bad advice.
OP please ignore and pick English lit, French, Maths and chemistry.
You'll be fine. Do some reading about law and general society maybe.

Good advice.

Pick whatever subjects you enjoy and will get you the highest grades.

Get some relevant work experience (both Law and 'dealing with people').

Read some Law textbooks and think about the reality of studying this subject for 3 years, and the reality of the day-to-day work of most solicitors and lawyers - it isn't as glamorous as it looks on the telly.
Reply 17
Cambridge have stated that science students do just as well as arts.

This is going to be last post on this thread so I'll make this important :wink: the number one thing OP that Oxbridge look for is passion for your subject. For Law, the best way of showing this (I would argue if you are seriously thinking of law of university) are law-relevant A levels, which show qualities needed for a Law degree. While it isn't the be all - end all if you do a science subject instead of History, it would place you at a better advantage if you did take History. What you will find as I have learnt from many of my friends is that some courses say that "there are no subjects required" when in fact they expect you to have if you seriously want to get in a few. People who say they did all science subjects will most likely find it a lot harder to claim they have a passion for law than those with History/English.

Law is a book-worm, argumentative degree (and if you like those things, you're well suited for it!), and the two most book-worm,argumentative a levels I would argue are English Lit and History. Bear in mind History at A level is also completely different to at GCSE, consider it a fresh slate.

The reason for me suggesting a 5th AS is that first of all if you are considering FM you are most likely good at Maths, and if you are good at Maths you could most likely self-teach the AS in it (seeing as there are a multitude of resources out there for FM). Oxbridge want to see also you love work and academia, again a good example. An EPQ I suppose on something related to law would also be fine I guess.
Hope all goes well and yes, your predicted GCSES are fine for Oxbridge :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MrJAKEE
This is going to be last post on this thread so I'll make this important :wink: the number one thing OP that Oxbridge look for is passion for your subject. For Law, the best way of showing this (I would argue if you are seriously thinking of law of university) are law-relevant A levels, which show qualities needed for a Law degree. While it isn't the be all - end all if you do a science subject instead of History, it would place you at a better advantage if you did take History. What you will find as I have learnt from many of my friends is that some courses say that "there are no subjects required" when in fact they expect you to have if you seriously want to get in a few. People who say they did all science subjects will most likely find it a lot harder to claim they have a passion for law than those with History/English.

Law is a book-worm, argumentative degree (and if you like those things, you're well suited for it!), and the two most book-worm,argumentative a levels I would argue are English Lit and History. Bear in mind History at A level is also completely different to at GCSE, consider it a fresh slate.

The reason for me suggesting a 5th AS is that first of all if you are considering FM you are most likely good at Maths, and if you are good at Maths you could most likely self-teach the AS in it (seeing as there are a multitude of resources out there for FM). Oxbridge want to see also you love work and academia, again a good example. An EPQ I suppose on something related to law would also be fine I guess.
Hope all goes well and yes, your predicted GCSES are fine for Oxbridge :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's pretty weird how all of your advice goes directly against what admissions tutors say.
Do what you love and you'll be good at it.
There's plenty of work in law for people who have a good grounding in science.
If the courses you're interested in don't specify particular A levels as requirements then that's because they don't require you to have them.
Choose subjects you love and where you have the potential to do really well.
Ignore the advice about doing extra subjects to compete - top universities are really only interested in your three best/three most relevant A levels and the additional entrance tests they ask you to do. Some do consider your GCSEs though so make sure you do yourself credit there.
There are plenty of ways to demonstrate a passion for law - reading, work experience, spending some time in a courtroom, following law programmes on TV and radio, websites about legal matters, finding out about the law in an area that's important to you, finding out more about legal issues that are current. These are probably all quite a bit more relevant the doing the "most relevant" A levels.
So do what you love, and enjoy!

Quick Reply

Latest