The Student Room Group

Feedback on my A-level options

Hi I am Ben and I am currently in my last year of secondary school. I have all the required grades to study what I want but I am a bit stuck on some options and just need someones opinion to help me decide.

My Options are.

1. Computer Science
2. Maths
3. Applied ICT
4. History/Economics

I cannot decide whether to pick History or Economics, I have spoken to teachers of both subjects and they all have recommended that I do their subjects. So yes, I am in a bit of a mess here.

Could anyone please give me their realistic unbiased view on what to choose(History or Economics).

Thanks in advance:smile::smile::smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by bobthebuilder99
Hi I am Ben and I am currently in my last year of secondary school. I have all the required grades to study what I want but I am a bit stuck on some options and just need someones opinion to help me decide.

My Options are.

1. Computer Science
2. Maths
3. Applied ICT
4. History/Economics

I cannot decide whether to pick History or Economics, I have spoken to teachers of both subjects and they all have recommended that I do their subjects. So yes, I am in a bit of a mess here.

Could anyone please give me their realistic unbiased view on what to choose(History or Economics).

What do you want to study at uni? Personally I would ditch applied ICT and do both.

My Options are.

1. Computer Science
2. Maths
3. Applied ICT
4. History/Economics

I agree with the previous poster, I'd forget Applied ICT. If your into computers then computer science should be good. Applied ICT, in my opinion, isn't really work taking up an A level option when you have others you're interested in. Maths, History, Economics and Computer Science looks like a good mix.:biggrin:

But that's just me.. good luck with whatever you choose :smile:

Oh and Maths and History are both 'facilitating' subjects, and having two will put you in a slightly better position for Uni.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by EloiseStar
What do you want to study at uni? Personally I would ditch applied ICT and do both.

Hi I want to study Computer Science at Uni.
Original post by Frannoooooooo
I agree with the previous poster, I'd forget Applied ICT. If your into computers then computer science should be good. Applied ICT, in my opinion, isn't really work taking up an A level option when you have others you're interested in. Maths, History, Economics and Computer Science looks like a good mix.:biggrin:

But that's just me.. good luck with whatever you choose :smile:

Oh and Maths and History are both 'facilitating' subjects, and having two will put you in a slightly better position for Uni.

Thanks for the quick response!
Same as the others - forget applied ICT; you've got Computer Science. Do both History and Economics instead.

My Options are.

1. Computer Science
2. Maths
3. Applied ICT
4. History/Economics

Hi Ben,

Between History and Economics I think it will be good to choice Economics rather than History. But again think a lot and make the correct decision on what YOU what to do. Best of luck! :smile:
Reply 7
I recommend you take both history and economics in lieu of applied ICT. ICT is a 'soft' subject so it won't look good on your application where as both history and economics are respected subjects. However, if you're not willing to drop ICT then I recommend you take economics. If you're a mathematically oriented student then it will probably be easier for you, plus I personally think it's way more interesting then history. Also, a lot of the economics theories you learn about can easily be applied to real life.

Quick Reply

Latest