The Student Room Group

Seriously thinking of a Gap year

Im only in y12 , however i know that next year when it comes to applying for uni's i think i will distract / stress myself out choosing what courses etc i should do. Instead of focusing on my Alevels. (atm my AS levels are History,English,Law and Sociology)

Im extremely indecisive and i never know what exactly i want to do, all i know is that my choices for uni are ranging from Screenwriting , Games Design, Ancient History even to Sociology. I do know that most of the time i end up lieing to myself about what i love to study/do.

I only just recently thought about having a gap year after my Alevels , i would greatly appreciate it if any advice came through from current year 13's or anyone else on what to do or how to figure this stuff out :smile:

Thanks anyway
Reply 1
Last year when I was applying for uni I thought I knew what I wanted to do.. I changed my mind (literally on UCAS) three times. At the end of August after my results I just decided to take a gap year and it was the best decision ever because I now know what I want to do next year :smile:
Original post by sarsoora
Last year when I was applying for uni I thought I knew what I wanted to do.. I changed my mind (literally on UCAS) three times. At the end of August after my results I just decided to take a gap year and it was the best decision ever because I now know what I want to do next year :smile:

Wow , seems like it definitely helped . This would be me. What is it you want to do? If you dont mind me asking ...
Reply 3
Original post by Abaden
Wow , seems like it definitely helped . This would be me. What is it you want to do? If you dont mind me asking ...

It definitely did! Time away from everyone asking and uni application pressures definitely helped calm things down and made it clearer.

I was hooked on doing nursing initially, mainly because I knew it would lead to a job and it was something as I didn't know what else to do. In Feb I changed to biomedical science, and in August changed back to nursing. By the end I declined all my offers and now I know I want to do what I'm actually good at which is English Lit & history.. what a change loool :P
Seems like a gap year is starting to become the right choice , unless i do find out next year but god that would be impossible. Thanks for your input anyway :biggrin:
im on a gap year right now and im glad i did it; is it boring at times? yes because im working before i travel, but ultimately i needed to do one because i originally applied for german even though i knew deep down it wasnt for me and now im applying for another course which im actually confident i can do a degree in. i only applied for german because i felt pressurised to apply for something that year but without a gap year i would have made a big mistake
Reply 6
I'm in year 13 and strongly considering a gap year myself. In the middle of everyone sending off their UCAS applications and i'm leaning towards a gap year. I feel like I need to feel like i have more experience relating to my course and feel like taking a gap year will provide me with the time to get this experience and just take my time with things. The whole process of UCAS is a huge time consuming rush and just adds onto the stress of A levels, and personally i'd prefer to focus on my exams, get the grades I need and then take a year out to do what I want to do. I considered this just a few days ago and I feel like the weight is already being taken off my shoulders because I know that I only need to focus on one thing now (my grades). During the gap year I'm thinking of learning to drive, gaining experience in my chosen field and writing a perfect personal statement throughout the year to guarantee that i'll have a good chance of applying for the next year. I feel like it's got to a time in my life where I need things to slow down and to ensure that i'm completely ready for my course (as I also feel like i'm not ready to take the jump straight from school into the course) and really think it's the best choice for me. Do whatever YOU feel is best for yourself, just because the general trend is to go to uni straight from school, doesn't mean you have to follow that trend, and it could even turn out to be one of the best decisions of your life! :smile:
Original post by Abaden
Im only in y12 , however i know that next year when it comes to applying for uni's i think i will distract / stress myself out choosing what courses etc i should do. Instead of focusing on my Alevels. (atm my AS levels are History,English,Law and Sociology)

Im extremely indecisive and i never know what exactly i want to do, all i know is that my choices for uni are ranging from Screenwriting , Games Design, Ancient History even to Sociology. I do know that most of the time i end up lieing to myself about what i love to study/do.

I only just recently thought about having a gap year after my Alevels , i would greatly appreciate it if any advice came through from current year 13's or anyone else on what to do or how to figure this stuff out :smile:

Thanks anyway

I am in Y13 and throughout Y12 I had no idea what I wanted to do. I took the whole 6 week holiday to decide what I wanted to do when I leave Sixth Form.

I wouldn't recommend going on a gap year. Mainly because employers see it as a holiday. It really depends on what you are doing in that year off and how it benefits you in getting the career you want.

Apprenticeships vary from being shockingly bad with poor pay to pretty good. Finding a good one will be difficult. Maybe armed forces? It's physically more demanding and difficult to get into but it's one of the best apprenticeship there is.

For Uni, I would only advice going if the job you want demands a degree. For example doctors and teachers. I wouldn't go for a degree if you don't need one. A degree does not guarantee a job and you will not get better pay if you have one.

I would say to take a long time to really think of the job/career that you really want to do. Base your decision on that.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Charlie Bravo
I am in Y13 and throughout Y12 I had no idea what I wanted to do. I took the whole 6 week holiday to decide what I wanted to do when I leave Sixth Form.

I wouldn't recommend going on a gap year. Mainly because employers see it as a holiday. It really depends on what you are doing in that year off and how it benefits you in getting the career you want.

Apprenticeships vary from being shockingly bad with poor pay to pretty good. Finding a good one will be difficult. I am going for an apprenticeship with the armed forces. It's physically more demanding and difficult to get into but it's by far the best apprenticeship there is.

For Uni, I would only advice going if the job you want demands a degree. For example doctors and teachers. I wouldn't go for a degree if you don't need one. A degree does not guarantee a job and you will not get better pay if you have one.

I would say to take a long time to really think of the job/career that you really want to do. Base your decision on that.

Iv'e actually kept the idea of going into the Armed Forces (mainly the army) since a very young age (like 8-10) and a few days ago i thought about it and researched the jobs i could do in the army. I have the tendancy to re-visit ideas / things that i generally do like , and i drop the stuff instantly that i dont. Im not a physically active person at all, however i wouldn't mind doing that. However i still have the strong will to do a uni degree. What ill do next year is when ill go to the open days for uni's ill also try and get a look into the careers office for the armed forces, to see which i would prefer to do. Because maybe im just simplifying my options and going with the majority. :biggrin: Thank you for the advice.
Original post by Abaden
Iv'e actually kept the idea of going into the Armed Forces (mainly the army) since a very young age (like 8-10) and a few days ago i thought about it and researched the jobs i could do in the army. I have the tendancy to re-visit ideas / things that i generally do like , and i drop the stuff instantly that i dont. Im not a physically active person at all, however i wouldn't mind doing that. However i still have the strong will to do a uni degree. What ill do next year is when ill go to the open days for uni's ill also try and get a look into the careers office for the armed forces, to see which i would prefer to do. Because maybe im just simplifying my options and going with the majority. :biggrin: Thank you for the advice.

I think they can sponsor you to do a degree at one of their "recognised" Universities.Not for me, but its one route to go onto Uni. Really think about it. Good to take advice but don't be influenced. Do what you want to do.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Charlie Bravo

Apprenticeships vary from being shockingly bad with poor pay to pretty good. Finding a good one will be difficult. I am going for an apprenticeship with the armed forces. It's physically more demanding and difficult to get into but it's by far the best apprenticeship there is.

I reccomend doing a degree no matter what career you chose to do. You often do a year in industry giving you a lot more experience. You also will be a lot more educated than someone with just A Levels. You will also gain a lot better wage. My Brother is a human factors engineer, when working for Rolls Royce him and another guy in the office did the same job and the same hours however my brother was paid £18,000 more a year than him purely because he had a degree and the other guy did.

Gap years are greatly advised, especially by universities and employers, but only if you do something. A greatly approved idea is work to save up for 6 months then travel for six months. This gives you a lot more experience, to find yourself, to become much more cultured and understand the world. It also shows maturity and independance.

So basically, you chat a load of crap.

Love From, Art Crew (most dont even do art tho) xxxx
I started my degree this year straight after finishing school - if I'm honest with myself, I kind of knew it wasn't the subject for me and there were other subjects (specifically one subject, Linguistics) that I desperately wanted to do but had talked myself out of in favour of Computer Science. After a term and a bit of doing well at CS but not enjoying myself, I went to a Linguistics open day at my uni (pretending to be a prospective student :P) and just KNEW it was what I had to do. I'm back home now, looking for a job, and will start my new course in September at the same uni.

I guess I didn't take a gap year because I desperately wanted to leave home and go to uni. There was nothing I wanted more. Even though I suspected I was doing the wrong subject, I was really happy to go. I don't regret not initially taking a year out, because I had a good time at uni despite my course, but I can't stress enough how important it is that you figure out what subject you want to do to the point where no one can persuade you otherwise and your own doubts are minimal. I know there's a lot to consider (employability, long term career goals) and I know not everyone has the money to pursue a degree they love but won't lead to a lucrative career, but make sure you pick a subject that you enjoy and that you see a future in, either by leading you to your chosen career path or immersing you in an academic world you love.

If you think you need a gap year to figure all this out, do it. I know a lot of people who have done so and feel better off for it. Make sure you don't waste your time - get a job, volunteer, go travelling, but also look into trying out stuff you might be interested in studying. Maybe there are summer schools or jobs that could give you a taste so you can make sure you're on the right path. Do your research and you'll end up with a well-informed choice you feel confident about :smile:
Original post by elliefoxfoxfox
I recommend doing a degree no matter what career you chose to do.

Not everyone wants, can do or afford to do a degree. An average of £9'000 a year is a lot in debt for someone to start their life on. Like I said, does the job you want need a degree? If so, get one.

You will also gain a lot better wage.

A degree doesn't guarantee more money. The degree has to be relevant to the job you are going for and the course has to provide the skills and knowledge needed for that job. Yes, you will get more than the minimum wage if the employer is looking for that particular degree course. Hence why apprenticeships are getting more popular. As those guarantee that.

You also will be a lot more educated than someone with just A Levels.

A-Levels are a stepping stone to Uni. Being "more educated" doesn't mean you are better for the job. There is a difference between knowing about the job and doing it.

Gap years are greatly advised, especially by universities and employers, but only if you do something.

So basically, you chat a load of crap.

No need for that. My advice is my advice. Listen to it or don't. No need to slag it off.

OP, really think of the career you want to do and base your decision on that. They all have there pros and cons, but that doesn't matter if it leads to the job you want to do.
Thank you all for commenting , but ive finally figured out what i want to do in University now, all i needed was just to stop thinking for awhile. I'm aiming to go to Derby university for their Year Zero/foundation (art) course. Since i wasnt able to take art, then after to progress into one of their Creative art degree's , since its combined i just need to pass units etc. Also it acts as a backup plan and a firm choice since i need 160 ucas points to get in and rn im in the A/B zones for 3 of my AS levels. But all in all i love everything about the uni course etc.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply

Latest