The Student Room Group

Kent or Leicester for LLB?

Received AAB offers from both Kent and Leicester currently. Still waiting on Birmingham (which I'll put as my firm regardless) and Liverpool (insurance). Was rejected from LSE :frown:

Was wondering, if my LNAT was awful and I don't get an offer from Birmingham, which of Kent and Leicester is more highly regarded for job prospects and reputation? Having been to both of them, I really liked them equally, perhaps Kent slightly more for the area. I'm not huge on night life so that has no big impact on the decision.

Congrats on your offers!

That's really tough because University of Leicester and Kent are very much on par with each other. I think Leicester uni is ranked slightly higher but not enough to make a final decision by.

Leicester offers an optional year abroad for LLB but not sure if Kent does? You should check out UniStats https://unistats.direct.gov.uk/ to compare them both!

Take into consideration campus/employability/facilities/area etc.

Goodluck :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by eahumphries
Congrats on your offers!

That's really tough because University of Leicester and Kent are very much on par with each other. I think Leicester uni is ranked slightly higher but not enough to make a final decision by.

Leicester offers an optional year abroad for LLB but not sure if Kent does? You should check out UniStats https://unistats.direct.gov.uk/ to compare them both!

Take into consideration campus/employability/facilities/area etc.

Goodluck :smile:

They just seem very close - very hard to choose which I would go to :L I've heard Kent is growing better every year though which is something to consider?
i would probably go for leciester as it is well respected, in a central location and has pedigree of sending graduates on to magic cirlce training contracts (relevant only if you want to go into commercial law at a city firm). however, that is me being biased as i cant say i have ever researched kent! they may have a brilliant law school aswell.
Reply 4
Original post by neal95
i would probably go for leciester as it is well respected, in a central location and has pedigree of sending graduates on to magic cirlce training contracts (relevant only if you want to go into commercial law at a city firm). however, that is me being biased as i cant say i have ever researched kent! they may have a brilliant law school aswell.

I'm king of interested in becoming a barrister if that's any help to decide with?
Original post by Rayzor97
I'm king of interested in becoming a barrister if that's any help to decide with?

Oh cool! I have heard leicester has quite a few barristers in various chambers, there was a post somewhere on tsr a few years ago showing a graph of some sort

Interesting post you may find useful. I guess it's not always down to the uni but other stuff you do whilst there and the grading of the degree at the end of the 3 years http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1152690
Reply 7
Original post by neal95
Interesting post you may find useful. I guess it's not always down to the uni but other stuff you do whilst there and the grading of the degree at the end of the 3 years http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1152690

Thanks for this dude! Really big help :biggrin: Just need to try and aim to get a first wherever I go, and hopefully with the amount of work I'm prepared to put in, this should happen.
Thanks for this dude! Really big help :biggrin: Just need to try and aim to get a first wherever I go, and hopefully with the amount of work I'm prepared to put in, this should happen.

No problem :smile: no reason it can't happen, no substitute for hard work! Where else have you applied to?
Reply 9
Original post by neal95
No problem :smile: no reason it can't happen, no substitute for hard work! Where else have you applied to?

Birmingham, Liverpool (both waiting for reply) and rejected from LSE (for Law and Anthropology). Would love to receive an offer to study at Birmingham most as I loved it on the open day.
Reply 10
Original post by neal95

Are you currently at uni or applying to and might I ask where you are or have applied to?
Awesome uni choices, you have 3 of the same as me, and I hope to study law at birmingham this year aswell! Got to take my LNAT soon :smile: I'm sending my app off on Monday just getting my reference on Monday (gap year) and adding finishing touches to my personal statement- other unis Im applying to are manchester, liverpool, sheffield and Leicester
This is so weird I'm in the exact situation only without the Birmingham didn't much like the rooms there, but I'm just so torn whether to put Leicester or Kent as my firm, in lookin at stuff such as nightlife and areas because they are so much alike, although it looks like I may be leaning more towards Leicester rather than Kent
Reply 13
Definitely Leicester, they may not be Russell Group but I would have picked Leicester if I had not got a place for the LLB at a Russell group. Probably the best non Russell group uni you can go to for the LLB, and as others have said, they do very well with the Magic circle and big city law firms, so if commercial law is your goal, I would pick ahead of Kent for sure. Birmingham would be good if you get it, a strong Russell Group, but I would not advise Liverpool, they let people in with BBB and lower and so their reputation in the Russell Group is not that good. Good Luck!!
Leicester definitely

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending