The Student Room Group
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne

Nobody to live with in second year

I have had problems with flat mates and i have moved halls already and i just haven't really made friends. This means i have nobody to live with in second year and i am worrying about it, i wondered if anyone else is in this situation or has been in previous years?
Maybe you could try and make some new friends? Or why not just get a flat or something for yourself?
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Reply 2
I believe I'm in the same situation. Which university do you go to?
I will probably be in this situation too though for different reasons, is it possible for you to just go into halls again? I think that'll probably be my only option.
I go to northumbria, halls is my only option but being a trainee teacher don't want to risk having loud inconsiderate flat mates again

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hannahbethlou
I go to northumbria, halls is my only option but being a trainee teacher don't want to risk having loud inconsiderate flat mates again

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey I am at Northumbria too, staying in the Stephenson Building. I am in exactly in the same situation as you, I moved flats because I had trouble with my first flat. Now I haven't really made any proper friends and have no idea what to do and have nobody to stay with next year.

You could try going to Ask for Help and speak to them, I did this but the man at the desk was completely useless. I might try the student support people soon.
You could also contact student letting agencies to see if there are any house shares where they need another person? The house my daughter is currently sharing had one person drop out at the beginning of the year and the agency found someone to fill the room. It was the Findspace agency. They have a website as well as an office in Newcastle.
Hi everyone,

Sorry to hear your experience in halls hasn't been great! The good news is there's a lot of options moving forward :smile:

The students' union has its own letting agency, NU:Lets, which doesn't charge any admin fees and can help you out with finding flatmates. You could also join a society/volunteering group within the students' union, as a way of meeting new people. I had a similar problem with my flatmates, and joined the Dance Society. I ended up meeting a lot of new people, some of which actually lived in my halls that I hadn't met before!

Also the final thing I'd say is not to worry about the early rush to get houses. 1 in 6 people is a student in Newcastle and there is more than enough housing for everyone! Although as the year goes on availability of student housing decreases, there is still a lot of choice of houses/flats in second and even third semester. It's also an option as some of you mentioned to go into halls, there's more about this on our website:

https://www.northumbria.ac.uk/study-at-northumbria/accommodation/university-accommodation/returning-and-continuing-students/

We try to put returning students with other returning students if that's what they wish, and you get to express preference with how loud you like your flat to be!

If you want any more help please don't hesitate to ask us!

Sarah :smile:
Reply 8
Hi, I will have two rooms available in my flat for next year as both my flatmates will be finishing their courses. Let me know if youre interested x
I have had problems with flat mates and i have moved halls already and i just haven't really made friends. This means i have nobody to live with in second year and i am worrying about it, i wondered if anyone else is in this situation or has been in previous years?

Im the same I don't really get along with my flat mates and didn't know anyone to move in with for second year so have chosen halls but different ones to what I am in at the minute. If you want quieter halls there is an option when you apply
Reply 10

Myself and 1 flat mate are 1st years which are unsure of what we are doing for next years accomodation, we are both at Liberty Quay this year and I think we may try going to Uni accomodation again with other random 2nd years since finding other ppl is a bit of a pain; but I don't see why we couldn't try to arrange something.
Reply 11
Original post by Shodann
Myself and 1 flat mate are 1st years which are unsure of what we are doing for next years accomodation, we are both at Liberty Quay this year and I think we may try going to Uni accomodation again with other random 2nd years since finding other ppl is a bit of a pain; but I don't see why we couldn't try to arrange something.

Hey I'm looking for a share too if anyone has space left?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending