The Student Room Group

Universities for majoring in animation?

Hello, I'm a senior high school student in Cyprus and I would like to study animation in England next year. I already found some universities that offer this course, like, UWE, Brighton, UCA, Bournemouth, Kingston, Lincoln, Derby and UEL. I would be grateful if you could give me some recommendations or your opinion about these universities.
Thank you very much in advance.
(edited 9 years ago)
In general Bristol is the most reputable institution amongst those you've mentioned.

To be in good stead I'd say compare the modules of the courses at each of these places, they can wildly vary for courses which are less common.
Original post by Felicia.L
Hello, I'm a senior high school student in Cyprus and I would like to study animation in England next year. I already found some universities that offer this course, like, Bristol, Brighton, UCA, Bournemouth, Kingston, Lincoln, Derby and UEL. I would be grateful if you could give me some recommendations or your opinion about these universities.

Firstly, you've said something a little bit misleading. The University of Bristol, which Ki Yung Na was referring to, does not offer animation. The University of West England (UWE) which is also in Bristol, does offer animation. UWE hasn't got as strong an international reputation as the University of Bristol but apparently it's quite good for arts subjects. Out of the options you've listed I'd have thought that UWE and Brighton would be the most prestigious but what's much more important is the course content and the university itself. Look at the modules offered to find the course most attractive to you and it's also important that you enjoy the university, so find out more about life there too.
Reply 3
Original post by Chlorophile
Firstly, you've said something a little bit misleading. The University of Bristol, which Ki Yung Na was referring to, does not offer animation. The University of West England (UWE) which is also in Bristol, does offer animation. UWE hasn't got as strong an international reputation as the University of Bristol but apparently it's quite good for arts subjects. Out of the options you've listed I'd have thought that UWE and Brighton would be the most prestigious but what's much more important is the course content and the university itself. Look at the modules offered to find the course most attractive to you and it's also important that you enjoy the university, so find out more about life there too.

Oh okay, it seems like I got them mixed up, I'm sorry...
I would also like to find out more about life in these universities but unfortunately I can't go and visit them so if anyone studies there I would be much obliged if you could tell me about your experiences.
Oh okay, it seems like I got them mixed up, I'm sorry...
I would also like to find out more about life in these universities but unfortunately I can't go and visit them so if anyone studies there I would be much obliged if you could tell me about your experiences.

I've not been to any of them, but there's usually a good amount of information on their websites. If you search for them on TSR, you'll probably find lots of people's accounts.
I've heard that Falmouth's reputable for their animation course :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by virginiamyw
I've heard that Falmouth's reputable for their animation course :smile:

Thank you!! ^-^
Hello, I'm a senior high school student in Cyprus and I would like to study animation in England next year. I already found some universities that offer this course, like, UWE, Brighton, UCA, Bournemouth, Kingston, Lincoln, Derby and UEL. I would be grateful if you could give me some recommendations or your opinion about these universities.

Hi Felicia,

It's great that you're looking at coming to Kingston. If there is anything I can help you with or if you have any questions please let me know.

Chloe :smile:Student Ambassador
Reply 9

Hi Felicia.L,

I did a BA at Bournemouth in Journalism (2007-2010) and I'm back there for an MA in Video Editing at the moment.

Whilst I can't offer you much info on the animation courses (although I've heard that the BU course has a global reputation), I can tell you more about the campus and the town.

It's a very impressive campus with lots of facilities, they've obviously invested a lot of money in the buildings, the library, the media suites (TV and film studios, editing suites, animation suites etc.) and even at the moment there are new buildings going up, which I think will be finished in 2015.

The town is beautiful and I love going to the beach in the summer (only a short walk).

I'd be happy to answer any questions if you'd like to know more :smile:

Alice
Reply 10
Original post by AliBonce
Hi Felicia.L,

I did a BA at Bournemouth in Journalism (2007-2010) and I'm back there for an MA in Video Editing at the moment.

Whilst I can't offer you much info on the animation courses (although I've heard that the BU course has a global reputation), I can tell you more about the campus and the town.

It's a very impressive campus with lots of facilities, they've obviously invested a lot of money in the buildings, the library, the media suites (TV and film studios, editing suites, animation suites etc.) and even at the moment there are new buildings going up, which I think will be finished in 2015.

The town is beautiful and I love going to the beach in the summer (only a short walk).

I'd be happy to answer any questions if you'd like to know more :smile:

Alice

Thank you very much for the information :smile: Would happen to know anything about the residence halls??
Reply 11

Thank you very much!!
Reply 12
Original post by Kingston University
Hi Felicia,

It's great that you're looking at coming to Kingston. If there is anything I can help you with or if you have any questions please let me know.

Chloe :smile:Student Ambassador

Thank you, I will keep that in mind.
Reply 13
Um, I have noticed that not all the university sites have the modules listed in the description of the course... Is there any other way to find them?
Thank you very much for the information :smile: Would happen to know anything about the residence halls??

Hi Felicia L,

I didn't stay in halls but a lot of my friends did. The main student accommodation is split into 3 different areas: Student Village, Halls, and houses rented from landlords through the uni (or of course you're free to find your own house to rent if you want!).

The Student Village is right next to the uni Talbot campus, which is 2 miles out of the main town centre. There is a corner shop, as well as all the shops within the uni, and there are hundreds of houses all for students. They vary in size, I think most have 4 bedrooms but some are bigger. Student Village is mainly for first years or for those who may suffer disabilities.

The Halls of Residence are mainly based in Bournemouth town centre. Cranborne House, Purbeck House, Lyme Regis House, Dorchester House and Chesil House are all central - 5 minute walk to the beach or to the high street. They're all either newly built or newly renovated. I'd recommend checking out this page for more info: http://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/accommodation/new_undergraduates.html

There's also accommodation in Poole (30 minute bus ride away) and other halls specifically for postgraduates and families too.

I hope that's along the lines of what you wanted to know. Happy to answer any other questions you have!

Alice
Reply 15
Original post by AliBonce
Hi Felicia L,

I didn't stay in halls but a lot of my friends did. The main student accommodation is split into 3 different areas: Student Village, Halls, and houses rented from landlords through the uni (or of course you're free to find your own house to rent if you want!).

The Student Village is right next to the uni Talbot campus, which is 2 miles out of the main town centre. There is a corner shop, as well as all the shops within the uni, and there are hundreds of houses all for students. They vary in size, I think most have 4 bedrooms but some are bigger. Student Village is mainly for first years or for those who may suffer disabilities.

The Halls of Residence are mainly based in Bournemouth town centre. Cranborne House, Purbeck House, Lyme Regis House, Dorchester House and Chesil House are all central - 5 minute walk to the beach or to the high street. They're all either newly built or newly renovated. I'd recommend checking out this page for more info: http://www.bournemouth.ac.uk/accommodation/new_undergraduates.html

There's also accommodation in Poole (30 minute bus ride away) and other halls specifically for postgraduates and families too.

I hope that's along the lines of what you wanted to know. Happy to answer any other questions you have!

Alice

Ι see! I don´t really have any other questions, thank you very much~~ ^-^

Quick Reply

Latest