The Student Room Group

Difficult Maths/Physics Problems Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
I love how any TeX becomes the :smile: smiley on the TSR app.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I've got what I think is a fairly tricky question, though I didn't actually get to try it as the solution was right next to the integral, so that kind of spoiled it for me.

Show that if ff is any continuous function and n>0n>0,

n1nf(x+1x)logxx dx=0 \displaystyle \int^n_{n^{-1}} f(x+\dfrac{1}{x})\dfrac{log x}{x} \ dx = 0
Original post by Gawain
Somewhat related to the topic of summations and integrals.

0xexdx\int_{0}^{\infty}\left \lfloor x \right \rfloor e^{-x}dx

Spoiler

Original post by ThatPerson
I've got what I think is a fairly tricky question, though I didn't actually get to try it as the solution was right next to the integral, so that kind of spoiled it for me.

Show that if ff is any continuous function and n>0n>0,

n1nf(x+1x)logxx dx=0 \displaystyle \int^n_{n^{-1}} f(x+\dfrac{1}{x})\dfrac{log x}{x} \ dx = 0

Spoiler

Original post by jjpneed1

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by jjpneed1

Spoiler

Ah, that's quite useful. Can you spot to use that sub by noting that the limits reverse?
Ah, that's quite useful. Can you spot to use that sub by noting that the limits reverse?

Yeah that's generally when it's used. Alternatively if you have an integral from 0 to infinity then you can rewrite it as an integral from 0 to 1 added to an integral from 1 to infinity. Then you can use the sub on the second integral to transform it into an integral from 0 to 1 and then recombine it with the first integral to get an overall integral from 0 to 1 which is hopefully simpler than the original.
Just did this one.

Prove for any parallelepiped that all diagonals intersect at a common point.
Original post by Blazar
Just did this one.

what is a parallepiped??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
what is a parallepiped??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Google is your friend.
Original post by Blazar
Google is your friend.

lol ok

Posted from TSR Mobile

3d shape formed from parallelograms. The more commonly known cubes and cuboids are special parallelepipeds.
(edited 9 years ago)

Sorry, I was really busy there.
Original post by Blazar
Just did this one.

Hmm I've used vectors. Is this the right approach.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's what I did. There are probably other ways to prove it but I used the vector approach...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I haven't done this but I imagine it is easiest to turn it into a vectors / coordinate geometry bash. There may well be an elegant geometric argument but I fail at visualising 3D stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Krollo
I haven't done this but I imagine it is easiest to turn it into a vectors / coordinate geometry bash. There may well be an elegant geometric argument but I fail at visualising 3D stuff.

Posted from TSR Mobile

well i think ive got an elegant 'argument' for the proof. nor sure if its completely valid though...

Posted from TSR Mobile
i dknt think it would cover all cases it involves symmetry of diagonals which works for rectangle so it might be ok.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I do wonder if our interviews are going to be more difficult or easier than this lol :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending