The Student Room Group

Getting a TATTOO for my DEGREE? :)

I've just completed my masters in English a Literature at Nottingham university. English is my life and I was thinking of getting a tattoo on my wrist saying 'BA (hons) English Literature.' It may seem kind of mad and I'm worried about what everyone will think but the degree was such a big part of my life that I think the tattoo will sum it up. :smile: opinions?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I've just completed my masters in English a Literature at Nottingham university. English is my life and I was thinking of getting a tattoo on my wrist saying 'BA (hons) English Literature.' It may seem kind of mad and I'm worried about what everyone will think but the degree was such a big part of my life that I think the tattoo will sum it up. :smile: opinions?

It's your life and your wrist.
Reply 2
But isn't it weird?
Reply 3
Hell yes! Sounds cool and I like the idea. I have lots of tattoos and I can tell you that not everyone will like it, but I think you should go for it since you loved the course!

Plus, it's a nice conversation starter. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Pigletius
Hell yes! Sounds cool and I like the idea. I have lots of tattoos and I can tell you that not everyone will like it, but I think you should go for it since you loved the course!

Plus, it's a nice conversation starter. :smile:

Thankyou!!
Reply 5
Congratulations on completing your degree :smile:
If you've only just completed this degree, maybe wait a year to get over all the excitement. You're obviously very proud of your achievement, as you should be, but my suggestion is to wait a year before you put it permanently on your body. If you still absolutely love the idea of putting your achievement on your body, then go for it! x
Reply 6
Original post by TNA123
Congratulations on completing your degree :smile:
If you've only just completed this degree, maybe wait a year to get over all the excitement. You're obviously very proud of your achievement, as you should be, but my suggestion is to wait a year before you put it permanently on your body. If you still absolutely love the idea of putting your achievement on your body, then go for it! x

Reply 7

Don't downplay your degree :smile: you got a 2:2, no reason to put 'only' in front of that
Reply 8
Well done on your degree and yes it is an achievement to be proud of.

That said I'm not sure that such a tat in such a visible place is a wise idea. You might get away with it if you're heavily inked already and tend to celebrate landmarks. achievements and family in such manner. If on the other hand (pardon the pun) you only have a few inkings or it's your first one then it might come over as a bit pretentious to some people like potential employers and colleagues and be off putting. Even people you are meeting for the first time might think "big head".

If you're still up for doing it, and it is your body after all, maybe put it somewhere that can easily be covered up. Maybe do as TNA123 says and wait a bit.

Just out of curiosity why would you want to have "'BA (hons) English Literature" inked on when you say you have just completed a Masters? Surely "MA" would be more appropriate?
Reply 9
Original post by Folion
Well done on your degree and yes it is an achievement to be proud of.

That said I'm not sure that such a tat in such a visible place is a wise idea. You might get away with it if you're heavily inked already and tend to celebrate landmarks. achievements and family in such manner. If on the other hand (pardon the pun) you only have a few inkings or it's your first one then it might come over as a bit pretentious to some people like potential employers and colleagues and be off putting. Even people you are meeting for the first time might think "big head".

If you're still up for doing it, and it is your body after all, maybe put it somewhere that can easily be covered up. Maybe do as TNA123 says and wait a bit.

Just out of curiosity why would you want to have "'BA (hons) English Literature" inked on when you say you have just completed a Masters? Surely "MA" would be more appropriate?

Because I prefered the BA to the MA. I just want to tell everyone!
At least it's not a common, chavy tattoo :biggrin: Good way to break the ice!
I think that you'll regret it when you're sober.

But congrats on your degree :smile:
Because I prefered the BA to the MA. I just want to tell everyone!

I don't quite understand why you need to tell everyone by tattooing yourself rather than just telling them, but it's your body, go for it if you want to. As others said though, as tattoos are permanent so it's always best to wait a bit and make sure you want to do it.

:lol: Sounds beaut :daydreaming:

You should get it across your chest. Y'know below the collar bone area? There.
With an english degree I question how you have the funds to purchase a tattoo
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
Genuinely one of the stupidest ideas I've ever heard and testimony that education is unrelated to any sense of refinement.
Since tattoos are essential permanent I think that you need to take the time to make absolutely sure it's the right decision. Don't get one done on a knee jerk reaction because you're "buzzing" which you might later regret. I would strongly recommend that you wait at least three-four weeks, and if you still want it, then perhaps you can consider it then. But I would strongly recommend not getting one now when you're so high on the excitement of it all - it's for life, so what does three weeks really matter?
I'm just going to say it, but it sounds ridiculously stupid.

Go ahead if you want, your life, your body etc
eeer no, don't do that. You'll look like an obnoxious idiot at best.
it is a great idea. i have all my GCSE and A level results tattooed down my spine.

Quick Reply

Latest