The Student Room Group

Don't get on with flatmates & have no friends

My flatmates are all like, just different to me and i try talking to them and stuff but they just don't really respond like normally and they either never go out or anything or just never invite me/ask and it's really depressing being alone all the time :|

Also, one of them now hates me/literally completely ignores me and pretends i'm not in the room and just talks to everyone else over something so stupid (it was really over a small joke) and it just gets to me that she's so cold to me.

I also have tried making friends with people on my course and societies but I talk to a few people and we're never actually friends/talk outside lectures or anything

Don't really know what to do/why i'm posting this here haha
it's just getting to me, like I just wish I'd chosen different accomodation now cause I would have more money (i have none lol) and probably better flatmates, like it's depressing seeing people go out together as flats and comparing them to my flatmates and I just regret applying for here now
and everything is just so bad :frown:

haha does anyone have any advice/is in a similar situation or anything?
Maybe you should speak to your current flatmates? Tell them how you feel? Or like arrange to go out to eat together or something?
I am so sorry to hear you're experiencing this :frown:

I know many people at uni that have been in a similar situation and have actually moved flats. You could request to change accommodation and try and start over?

If this is not an option then my advice to you is, instead of trying to make friends and winding into a panic about it, work hard at your degree and focus on yourself for a while. Join the gym or a club that you enjoy and you will end up finding people with common interests.

Be the person you'd want from a friend. If you give out good positive energy you'll end up attracting a whole lot of opportunities! Even if you dislike you're flatmates try and be the bigger person and continue to be kind and respectful of them - 'kill your enemies with kindness' as they say :wink:

Nights out are always great bonding sessions haha. Maybe cook a meal together? or invite someone shopping? Similar humour is where friends often connect!

I really do hope you sort this out. Remember to stay positive and don't give up! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by eahumphries
I am so sorry to hear you're experiencing this :frown:

I know many people at uni that have been in a similar situation and have actually moved flats. You could request to change accommodation and try and start over?

If this is not an option then my advice to you is, instead of trying to make friends and winding into a panic about it, work hard at your degree and focus on yourself for a while. Join the gym or a club that you enjoy and you will end up finding people with common interests.

Be the person you'd want from a friend. If you give out good positive energy you'll end up attracting a whole lot of opportunities! Even if you dislike you're flatmates try and be the bigger person and continue to be kind and respectful of them - 'kill your enemies with kindness' as they say :wink:

Nights out are always great bonding sessions haha. Maybe cook a meal together? or invite someone shopping? Similar humour is where friends often connect!

I really do hope you sort this out. Remember to stay positive and don't give up! :smile:

Thanks a lot for the advice,
With inviting them shopping/going out - I've tried those sort of things like mentioning we should go out together to a club or something but they sort of just forget about it or if I ask them about tonight they're always 'busy' and they go out with their own friends - like no one in our flat goes out together, they just have their own friends or some are just always in their rooms doing work

And I do try to be nice to them, say hi and ask about their day etc

But yeah thanks for the reply it has made me feel better :smile:, I was thinking about joining the gym (main thing stopping me atm is the costs (membership and clothes etc.)) and trying some more societies

Quick Reply

Latest