The Student Room Group

Music or Science!?

What would you choose...taking into consideration jobs afterwards/employability and excitement of careers (I don't like the idea of working in an office the rest of my life :s-smilie:)

Music at King's College London - 3 years

or

Foundation year + Zoology degree with Integrated Masters at Manchester University - 5 years ??

Any thoughts or advice much appreciated! Thanks :smile:
really depends what path you want to go on and which enjoy best
I think in general science would have the best employability but it depends on your strengths, what you enjoy the most and what you hope to do with the degree in the end. It will be a waste of money if you do something which you won't enjoy. :smile:
Original post by eahumphries
What would you choose...taking into consideration jobs afterwards/employability and excitement of careers (I don't like the idea of working in an office the rest of my life :s-smilie:)

Music at King's College London - 3 years

or

Foundation year + Zoology degree with Integrated Masters at Manchester University - 5 years ??

Any thoughts or advice much appreciated! Thanks :smile:

I had to make this decision when applying for my A-levels. I chose Science over Music, as you can carry on doing music as a hobby. In the end, go with what you feel.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
If you were a true musician you wouldn't have to ask this question. There would be no dilemma - nothing would stop you from studying your true passion.
Original post by Soprano97
If you were a true musician you wouldn't have to ask this question. There would be no dilemma - nothing would stop you from studying your true passion.

I disagree. When you study music, it is generally classical, whereas this person may have a passion for anything from Pop to Death Metal. I see myself as a true musician. I'm in 3 bands, I play gigs and I record songs, but I'm studying Physics, Maths, Chemistry and Politics. I wanted to be able to have more than one career choice, rather than putting all my eggs in one basket. You can still make music if you pick science, but you cant do science if you pick music.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6

Thank-you everyone for all your responses! Soprano97 I understand where you're coming from, but for me music comes from one of many passions - the others include science/biology - which is what makes this decision quite tough.

I am classically trained however if I were to pursue music it wouldn't be in performance.
Reply 7
Original post by PetrosAC
I disagree. When you study music, it is generally classical, whereas this person may have a passion for anything from Pop to Death Metal. I see myself as a true musician. I'm in 3 bands, I play gigs and I record songs, but I'm studying Physics, Maths, Chemistry and Politics. I wanted to be able to have more than one career choice, rather than putting all my eggs in one basket. You can still make music if you pick science, but you cant do science if you pick music.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am a classical musician and my whole life is taken up with music - I couldn't dream of studying anything else. I have had teachers, friends and even my parents try to discourage me from studying music at degree level - and hopefully further. I also excel at modern languages. A music degree is not just about making music but studying music to a very high level - composition, music history and performance. I myself could never imagine myself studying any other subject. We are all entitled to our own opinions - this one is just my own humble one.
I am a classical musician and my whole life is taken up with music - I couldn't dream of studying anything else. I have had teachers, friends and even my parents try to discourage me from studying music at degree level - and hopefully further. I also excel at modern languages. A music degree is not just about making music but studying music to a very high level - composition, music history and performance. I myself could never imagine myself studying any other subject. We are all entitled to our own opinions - this one is just my own humble one.

Fair enough, and I completely accept your opinion. I think it depends on each person.

Edit: I guess what I'm saying is, Music can be a profession or a hobby. I still study music in the sense that I buy Grade books and learn songs from them and continue to test my playing by learning difficult songs, whether it be classical (though I don't play a lot of classical) or something around Rock or Metal (which I listen to more). It's a little harder to have science as a hobby. But as always, go with what you feel because we can't make this decision for you, only tell you about how we act/acted in our own situations.
(edited 9 years ago)
Music opens up fewer career choices. i'd say it's one of the subjects to study only if you must do it.

While it would be great if all students only studied subjects they really had to study in practise many people will study what helps them get work that will be reasonably enjoyable.

Quick Reply