The Student Room Group

A level Maths

so Ive started as level maths and im finding it so difficult. Even C1 is so hard and I got an a* at gcse maths and a for further maths but I still don't get why its so hard to get.
does anyone know of any revision techniques that will help especially for your a level?
Are there any particular areas that you're struggling with? If so, go through as many questions as you can in the textbook, and then from past papers or ask for help from your teacher or the forums.

If you can't figure out what's causing you problems, maybe give the textbook another read through and see if you figure out what it is, and/or consult your teacher.
Original post by SeanFM
Are there any particular areas that you're struggling with? If so, go through as many questions as you can in the textbook, and then from past papers or ask for help from your teacher or the forums.

If you can't figure out what's causing you problems, maybe give the textbook another read through and see if you figure out what it is, and/or consult your teacher.

My maths teacher always says that the textbook questions are much easier than the actual exam questions and so that's why when I have a look at exam questions they look so difficult.
Original post by c'est la vie 98
so Ive started as level maths and im finding it so difficult. Even C1 is so hard and I got an a* at gcse maths and a for further maths but I still don't get why its so hard to get.
does anyone know of any revision techniques that will help especially for your a level?

come dude it shouldn't be that hard im self studing as math + FM not even allowed to sit my college classes since there so full. use tutorials then practise question.
true text book questions kind of go through the basics but in the exam they will give you harder question with more stages from the basics.
Original post by c'est la vie 98
My maths teacher always says that the textbook questions are much easier than the actual exam questions and so that's why when I have a look at exam questions they look so difficult.

That's true, though I think it would help your understanding to go through easier problems. I remember a few difficult questions thrown in towards the end of each excercise though, so those are the ones you might want to practice.

Also the questions in the paper get more difficult towards the end, so for the lower numbered questions you might see something similar to the ones in the textbook.

If you're finding exam questions really difficult:
1. Attempt the question. Identify what the problem is asking you to do (it'll get easier to identify which area(s) of the syllabus it's testing you on) and think about what you know about the topic. If you're stuck, leave it for a bit and come back to it without looking at the solutions.

2. After a while look at the solutions. Try to understand where you went wrong or what you were missing. Get a feel for how the marks are awarded and ask yourself whether you need to revise any material.

3. Look up a question similar to it in another exam or in the textbook. See if the answer is always structured in a certain way so you know how to write it and gain marks.

It's a fair jump from GCSE to A-level so don't be too harsh on yourself just because you did very well at GCSE and you're finding it harder now.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending