The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
-Emmz-
I think some people just wanted to show off their knowledge :p:

same really
RyanY
My cousin said they asked him who are exempt from paying for medicine, which is really easy- a lot of options to mention.

Everyone from sometime next year in Wales :wink:
Reply 42
do all pharm unis interview
i see the testosterone has died down...finally. hehe
Reply 44
I think asking you something about paracetamol and asprin is a respectable question if it was just for example naming the functional groups on them - phenol (benze ring with an OH group), amine group, carbonyl group and a methyl group. I mean even if you have never seen the structure of a paracetamol or asprin in your life, you should be able to spot the functional groups.

I think it is probably useful to just get an idea of how a paracetamol/asrpin works too, i just googled it and it reduces the prodution of prostaglandins, which can cause pain.
Reply 45
One thing I have been told is that quite alot of uni's do not like google as the info may not be absolutely correct. Some of my friends at other uni's were told this
well obviously if they ask you "what was the source of your info" just dont say google! or wikipedia!. say you just remember reading it from somewhere
Reply 47
Meh, yes some stuff on google could be wrong but i gathered this from several sources and therefore it is more likely to be reliable.

But if your in a lot of doubt just say your bro/sis/mum/dad told you.
Reply 48
yeh the book I have read discussed how most of today's medicines act with the body and the physiological effects with this. The stuff on aspirin was interesting, but was very detailed it looked at how it inhibits the activation of prostaglandins and how it binds to cyclooxygenase to act as an anti-coagulant.....interesting, but unlikely to be a question at an interview.
Reply 49
May i ask which book you have read?
Reply 50
beanem
They all may cause tiredness, Loratadine is the only one that doesn't effect people as much!!! And yea I did forget Acrivastine found in Benadryl! But considerin Im still at college, thats pretty good!!!!:biggrin:

If you are asked which of the antihistamines cause drowsiness, you say chlorphenamine maleate. Of course it's true that the others may in rare cases cause drowsiness, but the only one of the antihistamines with which you would advise the patient about drowsiness is chlorphenamine maleate (Piriton).
Reply 51
They asked me about drugs at Cardiff and nottingham.

At nottingham they also asked about contraversion within the pharmacy sector like the prescribing or not prescribing debate and like the herceptin debate.

Cardiff gave me a sheet where I had to point at different functional groups, like benzene, double bond (very easy). But then asked me about a particular drug and I think they were just testing whether I'd make an educated guess or just panic.

Bath left it upto you what you want to talk about.

Portsmouth was just a rubbish interview.

And Kings college or Medway didn't interview me
Reply 52
Gemma1725
I had three interviews for pharmacy and portsmouth was the hardest because they do tests for english maths and chemistry and an oral test in biology and chemistry. But none of them asked you about medicines they are not as scary as people make out.

i never had that test :O hehe
Reply 53
ooh and they ask you what the difference is between hospital, community and industrial pharmacy.

and the difference between pharmacology and pharmacy

and why not medicine, a lot of places asked me that. i think it was but i think it was because they weren't sure if i was applying to do it or not.
Reply 54
wat did they ask at pompey, can u plz pm me merna! i will give u rep!
Reply 55
hey yeah, sorry i will now! give me rep :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending