The Student Room Group

Are these GCSE's good enough for medicine?

So I'm in year 11 at the moment and I would really love to study medicine. When I first realised that it's what I want to do I sort of shied away from it, at the thought of not being good enough. I've heard about how competitive medicine is and that when applying a lot of universities take your GCSE's into account.
Is it true that the majority of accepted medicine applicants have 6 of more A*'s??
Are these grades good enough? (These are my predicted grades, apart from Biology)

English Lit A/A*
English Lang A/A*
Maths A
Geography A
Japanese B
Photography A*
Dance A
Physics B
Chemistry A
Biology A* (I have already taken this iGCSE)
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I would say apart from trying to get the maths and physics up a grade these are fine, you really will have to work really hard at your A levels as well to be considered but these are good GCSE's to start as a foundation
Not many medical schools look at GCSEs as main criteria when you apply so I think you should be alright with your grades. But if you are worried about not having great results in GCSEs, don't apply to unis like Oxford or Birmingham, as they look at your GCSE results. Also, try and do well in the English Lang and Lit, all sciences and maths, as some unis want at least an A in those. Good luck anyway :biggrin:
There will be applicants with more competitive grades at GCSE- I would try to get those As up to A*s and the B up to an A if possible without stressing yourself out but they are very good.

You could start to look for some work experience you could do which will make you stand out and carry on with any extra curricular activities. E.g. music, sport, clubs, d of e, volunteering e.t.c
Original post by charlotte243
So I'm in year 11 at the moment and I would really love to study medicine. When I first realised that it's I want to do I sort of shied away from it, at the thought of not being good enough. I've heard about how competitive medicine is and that when applying a lot of universities take your GCSE's into account.
Is it true that the majority of accepted medicine applicants have 6 of more A*'s??
Are these grades good enough? (These are my predicted grades, apart from Biology)

English Lit A/A*
English Lang A/A*
Maths A
Geography A
Japanese B
Photography A*
Dance A
Physics B
Chemistry A

I think your A Levels will be more important, so as long as you get good enough grades to get into a good college, you're on track! I'm in Year 12, and I didn't get anywhere near what I wanted, mainly due to complacency, so work hard and you'll get the grades you deserve. I was lucky that I did well enough in the subjects I wanted to get into my second choice college, but my grade average was too low to get into the college I really wanted to go to. Good luck with your GCSE's! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
It is true that OXBRIDGE look for 70% A*s at GCSE for medicine. Most unis for medicine focus on good A-levels though and sometimes extra-curriculars related to medicine (e.g. working in a hospice)
Original post by SummerBaby
I would say apart from trying to get the maths and physics up a grade these are fine, you really will have to work really hard at your A levels as well to be considered but these are good GCSE's to start as a foundation

What's wrong with an A in maths?

Original post by Ninja Saru
Not many medical schools look at GCSEs as main criteria when you apply so I think you should be alright with your grades. But if you are worried about not having great results in GCSEs, don't apply to unis like Oxford or Birmingham, as they look at your GCSE results. Also, try and do well in the English Lang and Lit, all sciences and maths, as some unis want at least an A in those. Good luck anyway :biggrin:

What uni wants at least an A in Eng lit?
Reply 7
Thank you to everyone who answered. I will have a look into work experience and volunteering, as well as trying to get my grades up as much as possible!
A levels are much more important, but Oxbridge do take into consideration the GCSE results. I'd say you would need to boost your maths and Physics and also did you take Triple Science? You should do for A level, or certainly Bio and chem. Also Med School is a very long process to complete and is very competitive. Are you looking to become a surgeon, dentist?
Reply 9
Original post by charlotte243
So I'm in year 11 at the moment and I would really love to study medicine. When I first realised that it's I want to do I sort of shied away from it, at the thought of not being good enough. I've heard about how competitive medicine is and that when applying a lot of universities take your GCSE's into account.

English Lit A/A*
English Lang A/A*
Maths A
Geography A
Japanese B
Photography A*
Dance A
Physics B
Chemistry A

Those are actually really good grades by normal standards, it's just annoying that for medicine we have to get suuuuuch high grades! I am in year 11 too (that is, assuming you are), and I have pretty much the same grades as you, even down to photography, although I am a B in french and A* in all sciences and maths, but still really similar! I am just working on trying to get that B to an A and trying to get some of my As (like latin for example) to an A*. We still have quite a while, so it will be fine :smile: Also, someone from my school got into medicine at Imperial and they only had Bs and As at GCSE, not even 1 A*, but they got A*A*A at alevel :smile:
Original post by R Dragon
What's wrong with an A in maths?

What uni wants at least an A in Eng lit?

if you don't get an A in Eng lang, Hull-York will consider you if you have an A in Eng Lit
if you don't get an A in Eng lang, Hull-York will consider you if you have an A in Eng Lit

But what you said previously is incorrect.

You said OP needed at least an A in Eng lit, which is not true...
But what you said previously is incorrect.

You said OP needed at least an A in Eng lit, which is not true...

I won't deny that I said that, but are you saying that the thread starter shouldn't do any revision or work on her English Lit since it isn't necessary? For example, I messed up my english language exam, and got a B in it, but because I got an A in english lit, I got an interview from Hull-York. So it would be better if she got an A in english lit in case the same thing happened to her.
I won't deny that I said that, but are you saying that the thread starter shouldn't do any revision or work on her English Lit since it isn't necessary? For example, I messed up my english language exam, and got a B in it, but because I got an A in english lit, I got an interview from Hull-York. So it would be better if she got an A in english lit in case the same thing happened to her.

That's jolly good for you,

You should have spoken about your experience instead of misinforming OP
That's jolly good for you,

You should have spoken about your experience instead of misinforming OP

But overall, rather than aim only to do well in a few subjects, wouldn't it be better if she just tried her best in all of her subjects?
But overall, rather than aim only to do well in a few subjects, wouldn't it be better if she just tried her best in all of her subjects?

I cba to reply further ._.
I cba to reply further ._.

Then you shouldn't have bothered replying in the first place
Which medical schools are likely to accept someone with these grades:
GCSEs- 2A*'s 13 A's 1B
Predicted AS levels - AAAA
EPQ - yet to do
UKCAT- yet to do

A level choices are biology, chemistry, physics and maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SummerBaby

I'll work on Maths and Physics, but yeah I agree A levels will certainly require some hard work ahah!
Original post by Izzyyyyy
Those are actually really good grades by normal standards, it's just annoying that for medicine we have to get suuuuuch high grades! I am in year 11 too (that is, assuming you are), and I have pretty much the same grades as you, even down to photography, although I am a B in french and A* in all sciences and maths, but still really similar! I am just working on trying to get that B to an A and trying to get some of my As (like latin for example) to an A*. We still have quite a while, so it will be fine :smile: Also, someone from my school got into medicine at Imperial and they only had Bs and As at GCSE, not even 1 A*, but they got A*A*A at alevel :smile:

I know what you mean, ahah. Oh really, it's funny how we have similar grades! But an A* in maths and all your sciences is so good!! I'm hoping with some super organised revision to get I can improve my physics and Japanese grades, I've had mocks this week so I should have a better idea of were I am. That's good, I've heard Imperial is really competitive! Good luck with your GCSE's and getting into medicine!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending