The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

leeds interdisciplinary science leeds start 2015

Hi! Thought I would start a thread for anyone like me who has applied for the leeds interdisciplinary science leeds start 2015. I've only been told that my application is currently been considered..... Fingers crossed for an invite to interview :confused:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Hopeful137
Hi! Thought I would start a thread for anyone like me who has applied for the leeds interdisciplinary science leeds start 2015. I've only been told that my application is currently been considered..... Fingers crossed for an invite to interview :confused:

Hey!

Just giving this thread a little bump in the hopes someone will see and reply!

If you haven't already, then you should check out the new connect pages to find other people who have applied for the same courses as you! :smile:

Thanks!
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Thanks I'm sure I won't be the only candidate to apply for this course

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am on this course currently, run whilst you still can.
Reply 4
Oh no why do you say that? Surely if it gets you where you want to be its worth it?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh no why do you say that? Surely if it gets you where you want to be its worth it?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's worth it, but it is a really intensive course. We have 17-23 hours of lectures, and workshops per week with a further 8-12 hours of work, and revision on top of it.

I am in student accommodation surrounded by first year undergrads, and their work load pales in comparison.
Reply 6
Which subject are you hoping to progress to, how many are on the course, I dream of doing medicine however I need to average +70% not sure how doable that is... Are you enjoying it? It must be tough if you have missed out on normal freshers things and are always doing extra work? Is it 9-5 most days?
Sorry about all the questions its a very quiet forum compared to others and I'm sure I can't be the only applicant 😃

Posted from TSR Mobile
Which subject are you hoping to progress to, how many are on the course, I dream of doing medicine however I need to average +70% not sure how doable that is... Are you enjoying it? It must be tough if you have missed out on normal freshers things and are always doing extra work? Is it 9-5 most days?
Sorry about all the questions its a very quiet forum compared to others and I'm sure I can't be the only applicant ������

Posted from TSR Mobile

I am progressing on to Petroleum engineering. There are around 72 students on the interdisciplinary science year which fall in to 3 categories, ISFY (Science), EEFY(earth and envinronment), and 'the biologists'.
ISFY, and EEFY do almost all their lectures, and workshops together. The biologists tend to be independent mostly, and only share chemistry lectures with the other groups.

Medicine requires 72% which is very doable (I am averaging 90%+ at the moment for instance, and I am by no means academically gifted) in addition to getting an average score on UKCAT, and a successful interview. The course has 5 places for medicine students, and 2-3 backup students should some of the students fail to meet the criteria.

The first week from the 24th? until lecture began on I think the first of October was essentially a meet, and greet with various group exercises to get to know each other etc... so we could still take part in freshers week, but it's recommended you don't join many societies are you have very limited time compared to undergrads.

It should be treat as 9-5 including self study etc, but in terms of lectures, and workshops (not including optional help sessions) the longest day I have is Monday which is 10am to 5pm (not including set study etc).

I am enjoying it, and you meet a lot of great people so definitely go for it, but just know it's an intensive course.
Reply 8
Thanks so much for replying that's all really useful info! Do you guys get a reading week like half term and xmas off etc?
I work full time 12 hour shifts so I think I can do the 9-5 no prob! I'm pretty nervous about getting the grades as it means so much!

Your degree choice sounds interesting! I'm really excited about the prospect of getting an opportunity. I'm not sure if I would still need to sit the bmat next year so if anyone knows it would be great! I guess if you get the 72% which gives you the interview you shouldn't need to do bmat which they use for shortlisting?!

I'm excited and nervous about the interview day they are sending out the details in the next week or so, so then I can start preparing!

I'm feeling anxious because it means so much to me to get this opportunity. Fingers crossed! 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey I'm looking to apply to this course as well and just wondering what predicted grades your applying/applied with? Like do they prefer if you have higher grades or do they stick to students with lower predictions?

And in your personal statement did you write a generic science based one or a specific one to which degree you want to progress to?

Reply 10
It has to be about the degree you want to progress onto..
Reply 11
Hey everyone I am applying for this course also and I'm hoping to progress onto computer science, just wondering how did you write your personal statement? Did you write about the course you want to progress onto or this science course? And there's a interview stage?!!! Wtf I'm so bad at interviews 😣😩
hi im also applied for this course does anybody know what the interviews like, questions they ask etc? and when will we hear from uni? thankyou x
Reply 13
I just got my rejection letter from the course, I'm a gap year student so my results was BCC from Biology, Maths and Physics. I am planning to resits some modules and my 2015 prediction grades are ABB. I even qualify for the " priority consideration" criteria. I don't understand why I was rejected, may be my personal statement wasn't tailored specifically for the course ( but it is for the Medical Engineering course which I hope to progress too). Last year I had an offer from University of Leeds for Medical Engineering but my grades didn't make it, so I'm gutted that they don't accept me for the foundation course.
It would be nice if they tell me the rejection reasons......
Original post by hl.ngl
I just got my rejection letter from the course, I'm a gap year student so my results was BCC from Biology, Maths and Physics. I am planning to resits some modules and my 2015 prediction grades are ABB. I even qualify for the " priority consideration" criteria. I don't understand why I was rejected, may be my personal statement wasn't tailored specifically for the course ( but it is for the Medical Engineering course which I hope to progress too). Last year I had an offer from University of Leeds for Medical Engineering but my grades didn't make it, so I'm gutted that they don't accept me for the foundation course.
It would be nice if they tell me the rejection reasons......

Im pretty much in the same situation but I only have one science a level so I really don't understand why because it doesn't say they only accept a particular group eg graduates. Im going to call them on Monday. Really frustrating
Reply 15
Hey guys sorry to hear the news I thought it said on the website that this course was not suitable for those that had done science based a levels before? Therefore that would more than likely be the reason for rejection? Good luck, ring and ask them im sure they will give you some feedback ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello y'all! I recently received a letter from Leeds in regards to the Selection Day Event for the 24th March *yay!*. I'm hoping to progress to Chemical Engineering or Food Process Engineering, so fingers crossed I shall get in!

I already have an A Level in Chemistry and Physics, so I don't think that there is a strict requirement which calls for prospective students to not have a science qualification of any kind. Unless any of you wish to study medicine or dentistry, you can always apply for your chosen course through Clearing or apply for an Access course at your local college - good luck! x
Hi guys!
(Interestingly enough) like raging_purple, I'm currently on this course, hopefully progressing onto Physics.

For those rejected, if you're seriously not sure why I'd say definitely give them a ring and ask - the team is one of the nicest groups of people, and I can't see any situation in which they wouldn't explain that to you.

When I applied, I was still in sixth form, and would finish with 2 A levels (Physics and Chemistry) and 2 AS levels (Maths and Spanish). I was predicted fairly decent grades (something like ABB, and I already had a C in AS spanish), but the offer they gave me was 180 UCAS points - https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/getting-started/entry-requirements/tariff/tariff-tables/946

My personal statement was completely about Physics, and I left it to my referee to write about the tough time I'd had for the past couple years. So I'd say no, they don't specifically look for people with low grades or high grades, and they definitely don't want you to have not studied science. They just want people that show a real dedication to achieving what they feel they deserve - as mentioned by raging_purple, it is a very intense course, especially for those who have been out of education, and they have to believe beyond all reasonable doubt that you're not just going to give up 2 weeks in.

In terms of the interview (DO NOT STRESS, it's actually a lot of fun!): The "selection day", the whole day, that's your interview. We were asked to prepare an argument for/against the building of the HS2 railway, and then were put into groups on the day with people arguing the same side, and we had to present our arguments as a group (no, whether your group wins or loses does not affect whether you get onto the course). Obviously, I can't say whether you'll have the same topic to argue (or even if they'll do it again!), so don't go researching this - wait until you get the details yourself. Seriously, do not stress, even if you don't like public speaking or are crap at research - it's a group of maybe 20 people, and everyone's just having a bit of fun.
You have to do an online maths test to prove that you can do GCSE maths, basically, but again - don't stress and feel that you have to study up. After you finish, they let you browse Reddit. ;-)
Then you have an actual interview. Now I can't speak for everyone, but my interview was fairly informal, more of a chat about why it was Physics that I wanted to do, what had gone on in my life to get me to this point rather than applying for the undergrad, etc.
p.s. don't feel you need to dress up. I did, and then everyone else was in jeans and hoodies...

This is the place to be in terms of science foundations. Intense, maybe, but they build you up with the skills you'll need to survive in the undergrad (which they do not teach to first years!), and there's a huge, smiling, friendly, huggable support network. The tutors, they've seen and heard everything. They're always there to help, as long as you communicate your issues.

So yeah, hope that covers it all, and feel free to shoot any questions my way (although maybe not about biology or geology, haha).
Reply 18
Hey thanks that all useful info from the both of the last two posts! I'm hoping to peruse medicine and the email I got from Lorna did say the course was not intended for those who had previously studied science a levels so perhaps it means if you don't have adverse reasons for not achieving what was hoped for!?

I am certainly looking forward to the selection day, but as with anything that could potentially change your life I am also super nervous and terrified! The next month is going to be a tough one as I tackle maths gcse which I haven't done in well over 15years+ the group task which is not the hs2 this time! Plus the one on one!

Potential questions?
I was wondering if the interview is point scored and they offer places to the ones with the highest points like other courses?

How many students are actually on the course?

Do they take a certain number for each speciality, obv with medicine there are only a few places up for grabs if you get the grades?!

It looks like such an amazing course I'm really hoping I'm one of the lucky ones:-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi I've also applied for the course, they sent me an email to make an appointment with an guidance officer to have a telephone chat so they can take my application further. Has anyone else had this? I'm wanting to do medicine also thanks x

Quick Reply

Latest