The Student Room Group

I'm a fan of The Twilight Saga, AMA.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Inazuma
No?! What is it? :eek:

:redface: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUDv1X96_Zc and the picture attached shows the winning characters. Super excited to see Alice's story!!

Original post by Zamestaneh
Hwo anoyin an I out off 10?

I'd say about an 11.

Original post by inachigeek21
What's your opinion on the fallen series?

I haven't read it, but it's yet another book series on my "To Read" list.:3
Original post by crozibear96
Most of them, to be honest. Harry Potter, The Hunger Games, Divergent. I've read a few Percy Jackson and The Mortal Instruments books, but I could never find the later books.:/ Also, the Narnia books by C.S. Lewis are brilliant and the Dark Materials series (the first book is the basis for the movie The Golden Compass, which I've yet to see) is good too. I plan to read the Lord of the Rings trilogy this coming summer (because I don't want to be too distracted during this school year - my A2 year).:3

Your argument - any argument - is weak without at least one example to back it up.

I didn't say "what other supremely popular YA novels do you like" but fair answer :wink:

Word of warning if you have seen the films, don't expect them to get to Bree as quickly as they do in the film... it takes them like 200 pages.

Btw there is one very clear example of Bella being a drip or whatever - she goes almost catatonic when Edward breaks up with her and leaves. That's an enormous example of how she revolved her life around him and their relationship; she actually had no interest in anything or anyone or having a fulfilling life of her own once he was gone. And she doesn't break out of this on her own by moving past him, no, she starts hearing his voice and doing crazy things in order to.
:redface: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUDv1X96_Zc and the picture attached shows the winning characters. Super excited to see Alice's story!!

Ooh! :biggrin: Looks fun!
Original post by desdemonata
I didn't say "what other supremely popular YA novels do you like" but fair answer :wink:

Word of warning if you have seen the films, don't expect them to get to Bree as quickly as they do in the film... it takes them like 200 pages.

Btw there is one very clear example of Bella being a drip or whatever - she goes almost catatonic when Edward breaks up with her and leaves. That's an enormous example of how she revolved her life around him and their relationship; she actually had no interest in anything or anyone or having a fulfilling life of her own once he was gone. And she doesn't break out of this on her own by moving past him, no, she starts hearing his voice and doing crazy things in order to.

Sorry, but I am a YA so most of the books I have read/like to read are YA novels.:wink: But I do like to read others. They're just not as easy to find for me since the only place I can get books at the moment is my school library - which mainly has YA novels since, ya know, it's a school for 11 - 18 y/os. I only buy books if I've read them before, because my family isn't exactly rich, or even well off. We live off of benefits, so I can't buy as many books as I would like.

I understand where people are coming from when I say that, but the truth is that Edward and Bella's relationship wasn't exactly normal, was it? By the end of Twilight/beginning of New Moon, I'm pretty sure that Bella thought that Edward would be in her life for forever. Edward was her first love, and she never doubted for a second that they would be together and stay together. Wouldn't you be shocked, upset, completely heartbroken if you were told just months later that the love of your life was leaving you, saying that you're not good for him and telling you to just forget about him because it'll be like he never existed? That, coupled with Bella's personality, makes her reaction not so unbelievable. Everyone is upset when their first love goes bad, and I'm pretty sure that there's nobody out there who wouldn't be a bit off it the love of their life just up and left one day. She's pretty much romantically immature at that point, so it would come as a huge blow to her. And the break up was completely out of the blue. Of course she's going to miss him - he took away every picture, every memory, every single thing that would remind her of him. Even in reality, some people just can't deal with bad break ups.
Original post by Safiya122
Kristen Stewart is the worst actress ever. I found her so annoying on twilight like seriously. I don't hate twilight but i find harry potter so much more interesting and kind of see the story line to twilight pointless I mean don't get me wrong it's not awful and i found like the last two movies, especially the second part, to twilight interesting but still.

This. She's so unbelievably wooden I sometimes think she's taking the piss!

To OP: How do you feel about the series bastardising Werewolves and Vampires as horror icons to love sick teenage perverts?
Original post by somemightsay888

To OP: How do you feel about the series bastardising Werewolves and Vampires as horror icons to love sick teenage perverts?

Haha ikr I mean i personally (without wanting to offend the OP) think she's a really bad actress and I've seen a couple of her movies but yeah like even in moments when her character is/should be happy she looks really glum.
Original post by somemightsay888

The series don't bastardise werewolves and vampires. The werewolves and vampires in the series aren't like the horror icons, because the series isn't a horror story. It's a romance, so of course they're going to be different from those which feature in horror stories. Could you imagine if the wolves only turned on full moons? They'd be pretty useless protectors for the tribe. And the vampires, if they burned in the sun and slept all day, most of the story wouldn't be able to take place. Stephenie Meyer created a fantasy world from her own imagination. Don't criticize it because it doesn't line up with what you think werewolves and vampires should be like. Neither exist, so there is no set way that they should be presented in fiction.
Sorry, but I am a YA so most of the books I have read/like to read are YA novels.:wink: But I do like to read others. They're just not as easy to find for me since the only place I can get books at the moment is my school library - which mainly has YA novels since, ya know, it's a school for 11 - 18 y/os. I only buy books if I've read them before, because my family isn't exactly rich, or even well off. We live off of benefits, so I can't buy as many books as I would like.

The place you live only has a school library? Not a public library or a second hand bookshop? :gasp: Or even a bookshop, they hardly care if you read part of a book as long as you don't bend open the cover too much...

I understand where people are coming from when I say that, but the truth is that Edward and Bella's relationship wasn't exactly normal, was it? By the end of Twilight/beginning of New Moon, I'm pretty sure that Bella thought that Edward would be in her life for forever. Edward was her first love, and she never doubted for a second that they would be together and stay together. Wouldn't you be shocked, upset, completely heartbroken if you were told just months later that the love of your life was leaving you, saying that you're not good for him and telling you to just forget about him because it'll be like he never existed? That, coupled with Bella's personality, makes her reaction not so unbelievable. Everyone is upset when their first love goes bad, and I'm pretty sure that there's nobody out there who wouldn't be a bit off it the love of their life just up and left one day. She's pretty much romantically immature at that point, so it would come as a huge blow to her. And the break up was completely out of the blue. Of course she's going to miss him - he took away every picture, every memory, every single thing that would remind her of him. Even in reality, some people just can't deal with bad break ups.

I'm not going to address all this but - she's romantically immature, in your own words, and keeps insisting that Edward turn her for the sole purpose of them being together for eternity. And goes catatonic when he leaves. That creates a character that is too annoying for most people to read - she is very stuck in a teenage mentality of "this relationship is my everything" and then "this relationship is over so I might as well be dead". This would be okay if it were meant to be part of Bella's character, but her total dependence on Edward for emotional well-being is oddly contrasted with the other attempts in the book to show her as someone independent, strong and mature - the girl who can move away from her mother for said mother's happiness to place she hates and a father she barely knows can't fathom falling in love with anyone else or moving past a relationship that is over? And sure, some people don't deal with bad relationships, in the beginning, and severe cases like Bella's would normally be about relationships far longer than Edward and Bella's (the fact that their relationship is short-lived is something SM tries to offset with "seriousness" - they are totally in love, thus it is as valid as if they had been together 10 years and had legitimately built a life together).

All in all, the series is entirely about their relationship. Beginning to end. And the relationship is between two remarkably emotionally immature people, who don't actually have very well-developed characters beyond being totally devoted to each other, and Bella being clumsy and Edward being able to play the piano. The thing that got to me is (and I have read all the books) - what is the message of Twilight? Bella is willing to sacrifice her humanity, her relationships with everyone else she knows including family, and the future she had been working towards (not that she showed particular interest in any career) because of a boy that was beautiful, different and that she had known for a few months.

Sure, when I first read them I enjoyed them, that kind of single-minded focus on a relationship makes it a fairly easy read, but when I got to the end I really began to feel the difference between this book and something written by a professional, an author who creates a fleshed-out world and carefully selects thematics, builds up characters and tries to make you feel a connection. The end of the Amber Spyglass and the end of Twilight - the former makes me sad but in a good way, and makes me think of how even if something is short-lived the memories of it are precious and will form part of you are (part of), and the latter just reminds me that aside from the supernatural existence of werewolves, vampires and shifters, the rest of the book is pretty unrealistic as well.

Edit: just realised that instead of all this blabbering, I could have just said that in my eyes good books make you reflect, they make you sit down and think about things and see things in a slightly different way, with older eyes. They may you think about life and loss and morality and what ifs. Twilight did none of that for me, particularly I think because of how hard SM tried to tie up all the loose ends and make everyone happy and everything perfect. Though by all means it may have had an impact on others.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest