The Student Room Group

C3 Integration Question

Can anyone integrate x+(4/x) and use this to work out the area in the bounds x=5 and x=2 for the line y=x+(4/x)?
I have been struggling on this all day so if anyone can help, that would be appreciated.
Original post by JennaK
Can anyone integrate x+(4/x) and use this to work out the area in the bounds x=5 and x=2 for the line y=x+(4/x)?
I have been struggling on this all day so if anyone can help, that would be appreciated.

Perhaps you could show some working as that is a very straightforward question
Reply 2
how does this help?
Not a good idea, in my opinion
Reply 4
Not to worry

I am the King blunderer here!

:biggrin:
Original post by JennaK

This is an integration by recognition question so you need to list the basic derivatives you have learned in C3 and try to match them up with 1/x and you integrate x as you did in C1/2.
Not worth quitting

We have already judged

:biggrin:
The power rule wouldn't work here..
:tongue: k
Reply 9
Original post by Dalek1099
This is an integration by recognition question so you need to list the basic derivatives you have learned in C3 and try to match them up with 1/x and you integrate x as you did in C1/2.

Rewriting it hasn't helped. I realise the answer that it must have something to do with the fact that 1/x= lnx but the main bit that is confusing me is the x at the front. It isn't cancelling out when I attempt this question, so I have no idea what to do.
Original post by JennaK
Rewriting it hasn't helped. I realise the answer that it must have something to do with the fact that 1/x= lnx but the main bit that is confusing me is the x at the front. It isn't cancelling out when I attempt this question, so I have no idea what to do.

Surely you know what you get when you integrate x
Original post by JennaK

the 4/x integrates to 4lnx due to the fact the derivative of lnx is 1/x and to integrate x you use the rule you learnt in C1/C2 that x^n integrates to x^n+1/(n+1).
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by JennaK

Start with the basics.

What would you get if you integrated x + (4/x) without any limits?

Quick Reply

Latest