The Student Room Group

I asked out a girl. She said she needed the weekend to think about it.

I've been friends with this girl at uni for 3 months now. I finally managed to ask her out yesterday. I found a quiet place in the Uni and said I had feelings for her.

She then went silent for 5 seconds. I looked into her eyes and it showed she was stunned.

She said, would you give me the weekend to decide? I say yeah, take as much time as you need. Then that was it

What do I make of this?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LeftArmOrthodox
I've been friends with this girl at uni for 3 months now. I finally managed to ask her out yesterday. I found a quiet place in the Uni and said I had feelings for her.

She then went silent for 5 seconds. I looked into her eyes and it showed she was stunned.

She said, would you give me the weekend to decide? I say yeah, take as much time as you need. Then that was it

What do I make of this?

Well she's gonna go ask her friends for advice and get back to you probs
You should have said you wanted an answer then and their. Now she will create a cunning plan to get out of it and think you are a bit weak.
Wasn't this from the relevant thread you made earlier? Could have just asked there.

OT: That doesn't look like a good indicator. Bluntly put, if she actually liked you then she would have given you a straightforward answer. Her wanting to have two days to think about it, comes off as though she's afraid of rejecting you and thus hurting your feelings.

My advise? Think nothing of it. Give it the don't care mentality, and if she decides to say no then brush it off, as it's her loss. Also this thing you're doing here, what with you making these threads about this one girl, is unhealthy. I'm sure you like her, but don't work yourself up over here since you're limiting yourself to this one person.
shes not that interested then if she says yes just say you are no longer single
thats not a good sign. Sorry mate :frown:

What do I make of this?

Well a) at least it's not a no! and b) it shows she is probably respectful of your feelings as some girls would probably be flattered, say yes on a whim, even when they weren't sure, go on the date and then let you down just when you thought they liked you. If it's a yes, you know she has thought it through, and if it's a no, at least you asked which is brave!
She needs to check with her first choice dude, if that's not a go then your in
Reply 8
You sound beta. Take as much time as you need, really?

She's not interested otherwise she would have said yes.

What do I make of this?

Been in this position several times. Ask her straight a yes or no answer, because she will say no eventually.
I agree with the others - if she was interested, she would have said yes then and there.
Reply 11
That's probably a no. Welcome to the world of indirect answers!
Why is everyone saying that's she probably not interested? :confused:

@ OP. If she was stunned then maybe she actually wants to think about it. Maybe she hadn't ever considered going out with you or maybe she likes you and was shocked that you asked... :tongue: No news should be seen as good news, hopefully it'll be good in the end.

Even if she says no you went out and we're confident about it so don't be disheartened by this. :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Its a no mate. But what will you do if she then says "yes ok" given that she said she will think about it meaning she wasn't interested if she was she would have said yes the spot, hmm... so will she just be using you if she comes back and says "yes".
You'll be hearing these words come the weekend, sorry

oh... guy above me answered my question.
had to edit this now second guy above me -_-
also thats a bit harsh having to make you wait a whole weekend for a reply. if she says no just play it cool and move on. say something like " 'aight its cool" or " no worries" but don't, whatever you do, say "can wee still be friends?"
Original post by william walker
You should have said you wanted an answer then and their. Now she will create a cunning plan to get out of it and think you are a bit weak.

Original post by High Stakes
Wasn't this from the relevant thread you made earlier? Could have just asked there.

OT: That doesn't look like a good indicator. Bluntly put, if she actually liked you then she would have given you a straightforward answer. Her wanting to have two days to think about it, comes off as though she's afraid of rejecting you and thus hurting your feelings.

My advise? Think nothing of it. Give it the don't care mentality, and if she decides to say no then brush it off, as it's her loss. Also this thing you're doing here, what with you making these threads about this one girl, is unhealthy. I'm sure you like her, but don't work yourself up over here since you're limiting yourself to this one person.

Original post by Guy Secretan
shes not that interested then if she says yes just say you are no longer single

Original post by Anonymous263
thats not a good sign. Sorry mate :frown:

Original post by moutonfou
Well a) at least it's not a no! and b) it shows she is probably respectful of your feelings as some girls would probably be flattered, say yes on a whim, even when they weren't sure, go on the date and then let you down just when you thought they liked you. If it's a yes, you know she has thought it through, and if it's a no, at least you asked which is brave!

Original post by Orange s0da
She needs to check with her first choice dude, if that's not a go then your in

Original post by Gambit92
You sound beta. Take as much time as you need, really?

She's not interested otherwise she would have said yes.

Original post by OU Student
I agree with the others - if she was interested, she would have said yes then and there.

Original post by CJKay
That's probably a no. Welcome to the world of indirect answers!

Original post by karmacrunch
Why is everyone saying that's she probably not interested? :confused:

@ OP. If she was stunned then maybe she actually wants to think about it. Maybe she hadn't ever considered going out with you or maybe she likes you and was shocked that you asked... :tongue: No news should be seen as good news, hopefully it'll be good in the end.

Even if she says no you went out and we're confident about it so don't be disheartened by this. :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Project Tsukyomi
Its a no mate. But what will you do if she then says "yes ok" given that she said she will think about it meaning she wasn't interested if she was she would have said yes the spot, hmm... so will she just be using you if she comes back and says "yes".

Original post by somemightsay888
You'll be hearing these words come the weekend, sorry

Original post by Project Tsukyomi
oh... guy above me answered my question.
had to edit this now second guy above me -_-

Original post by The Assassin
lool this. pathetic response

Thank you guys for your responses. I feel she probably didn't give me a response for one out of two reasons - 1) She doesn't really like me 2) She's genuinely surprised and just need's time to think.

When she does give me her answer on Monday, I will be ready for the answer whether it's yes or no but I'm not going to lie - it will be tough moving on.
I admit I've done this. Partly due to the surprise of it all. But I decided after a date with him that it wasn't going to go anywhere; so told him I didn't want to be with him.
Uh... This brings flashbacks. It's worse when this happens as it just draws out the whole embarrassment and humiliation of it all.

The cringe :frown:

Who knows, she my genuinely want to think about it. Just have to wait and see.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest