The Student Room Group

History degree without History A-Level?

I am considering my A-Level choices (English lit, French, Maths + FM and Physics) and don't want to compromise the 50/50 balance.
After sixth-form, I want to study History (with another subject - e.g. French/English) at university. I've done my research and know that a lot of universities "highly recommend" History A-Level for the university course but don't list it as an essential. I want to aim for a top Russell Group university, such as Oxbridge or LSE etc.
In your personal experience, is A-Level History an essential? In reality, will not taking it prevent my chances of winning a place?
Reply 1
Original post by Nemo182
A lot of the time Highly recommended is definitely a push for you to do it. I mean doing a university degree is a big step up from A level but I think doing the subject at A2 will at least prepare you for it.
A level history is far different to GCSE so I would say do it. It gives you new skills that would be useful in Uni.
Plus since you're planning on applying to very competitive unis it's probably more likely that you get consideration with a good A level grade in the subject because it proves that you can do it.
However untimately it's up to you. I can see that your planning to do more than the necessary 4 subjects which means you will already have a lot on your plate but the fact is if you're really interested in the subject you either have to study it or prove it through other areas. That means if you don't do it at A level you have to show your interest in history through other subjects or extra things outside of the curriculum.

Hope that helps,
Nemo

Thanks for the advice :smile:
Is there anything that you have in mind for extra-curricular activities?
Reply 2
Original post by Hatau24
Swap it for English Lit, it may be only 'highly recommended' rather than a requirement but there is no point disadvantaging yourself. Given the choice between you and another candidate of similar capabilities but with history A-level, the guy with history will be taken 99/100 times.

So you think it's worth keeping the maths and science side instead?
Original post by melantika
So you think it's worth keeping the maths and science side instead?

If you want to go for Oxbridge History and English then you need the English A-Level, so no.
Reply 4
If you're considering doing History at uni, why are you studying FM? Seems like the best thing to do would be to drop it and replace it with History. Are you planning on doing Physics/maths at uni?
I got into UCL without an A level in history so I'm sure it's possible. That said, Oxbridge seems unlikely and you can't combine history with anything but IR at LSE. If you are determined to go to an elite university then you should consider Scotland. In the Scottish system there is a lot more flexibility, students have to take three subjects for the first two years so it would be possible to apply for French and English and add history into the mix after you arrive, you could then drop English after the second year and carry on with just French and History to degree-level.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by suirrel
If you're considering doing History at uni, why are you studying FM? Seems like the best thing to do would be to drop it and replace it with History. Are you planning on doing Physics/maths at uni?

No, I wasn't aiming to do so. I just wanted to keep the options open and am genuinely interested in physics.
Reply 7
Original post by Hatau24
If you want to do History then doing it at A-level is basically essential even if unis don't actually say it. Otherwise, you can do anything you want. If you want to do History with something like French or English then doing those would be a good idea as well. Maths is good with literally anything so do it and if you are capable of doing further, then it can only help you to do it. But from the subjects you are considering, then Maths, FM, Physics, French/English and History give you the most rounded combination. Personally I do Maths, Politics and History (dropped Economics after AS.)

and what do you aim to do after you finish post-16?
Reply 8
Original post by Hatau24
I'm doing my A2s in Maths, Politics and History and am looking to do Politics and History at university, already submitted my application and received some offers.

do you know what type of job or career you're looking to pursue with that?
Reply 9
Original post by Nemo182
I have no clue. If you're adamant you don't want to do it at A level You should go see what your school/college offers for enrichment. Or you could try out an online course; however, if you do that then you have to remember its even more work. I know it looks good to do extra AS levels but at the end of the day if its going to stress you out and you end up doing well but not your best, is it really worth it? It's all down to how much you can handle.
But if this was me I'd either drop the maths or the physics and do the history a level. If your not going to pursue the other two, you're better off doing the subject you want to continue. It'll definitely give you a better chance of getting in to the Uni.
:smile:

Yeah, you're right... I'm dropping the physics for history. It's not worth two years of hard work for a subject I simply 'enjoy' or to force myself into doing more than I can handle. Besides, it's just going to make me look indecisive rather than passionate for my subject etc., and could drag the rest of my grades down.
Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending