The Student Room Group

Average GCSE grades but exceptional AS predictions (applying to cambridge)

At GCSE, I got 6 B grades, 1 A grade and a C grade. So far in my AS year I am being predicted 4 A grades in my AS courses of politics, geography, economics and history. In my mocks I achieve continuous A grades and I would apply to study law at cambridge. I am curious as to what cambridge's views would be on a person who achieves poorly at GCSE but achieves highly at AS level. Would they see me as a hard worker or would they see me as a liability at degree level. Some helpful advice would be appreciated.
Reply 1
I don't think you should worry too much. They understand that people develop over time. Your GCSE grades are not bad either. Have you checked what they are asking for online? Most unis only ask for GCSEs A*-C.
You won't be applying until you've receive your AS grades anyway so if you do achieve your 4 As your A2 predicted will be just as high. This will be proof enough that you are a strong candidate. You will have achieved very high targets and therefore they won't doubt that you can do well at A2. Unless something goes extremely wrong.
Why don't you look around and see what ex Cambridge students got at both GCSE and AS.

Good luck
Nemo
Without As/A*s your application will be fairly weak.
Original post by Anonynous
Without As/A*s your application will be fairly weak.

Not really Unless you smash out your as levels.
Thanks for the advice so far. I can't thank you enough.
Reply 5
Original post by masterwam
At GCSE, I got 6 B grades, 1 A grade and a C grade. So far in my AS year I am being predicted 4 A grades in my AS courses of politics, geography, economics and history. In my mocks I achieve continuous A grades and I would apply to study law at cambridge. I am curious as to what cambridge's views would be on a person who achieves poorly at GCSE but achieves highly at AS level. Would they see me as a hard worker or would they see me as a liability at degree level. Some helpful advice would be appreciated.

I'm afraid for Law they do look back at your GCSEs. If you could apply in a Gap year with A*A*A* or better then you would stand a chance but you will need exceptionally high UMS this summer to overcome the GCSEs unless you had serious extenuating circumstances.
You're going to have to aim for really high UMS to compensate for the GCSEs. Just 4 As at AS won't be enough (several from my college with 4 As got rejected from Nat Sci this year due to low UMS), try to get 90+ average.

http://www.admin.cam.ac.uk/news/special/20110406/multiple-regression-study.pdf
If you look at Law, GCSE and UMS are pretty equal predictors for performance at Cambridge. It's very likely that they care about GCSEs for Law.
Reply 7
My IGCSE grades were 2A* 7A 2B I would like to study AMES (asian and middle eastern studies)
what a levels would I need?
My IGCSE subjects were Eng as a 2nd language Math ICT Chem Phy Business studies Accounting Arabic as a foreign language and Economics im currently doing AS in chem math AICT and English language
Will I need to do IELTS or will AS in English langauge will be sufficient?
Do I stand a chance?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
It's entirely possible, but everything rests on how well you perform in your AS Levels. Also consider how competitive your subject in particular is. The subjects with dozens upon dozens of applicants inevitably have to apply strict requirements when selecting even just for interview, whereas the smaller subjects - though by no means easy to get into - can afford to be more lenient to some extent.

For the record, I had worse GCSE results than you and I have an interview for Classics on Tuesday. Sure, probably not as competitive as Law, but similar standards apply across all of Cambridge regardless.
I got average GCSE grades (2A*s, 5As, 1B 2Cs 1D) but exceptional AS grades and my interview is today. They're more concerned with your A levels so yes, you do stand a chance!
Original post by masterwam

As some other posters have stated, I wouldn't worry too much about your GCSEs. Rather than being predicted high grades, you need high percentages, ideally an average of 93%+ in your top 3 AS-level subjects.

If you get high UMS I would expect you to get an interview.
Thanks everyone for the replys. Just have to smash my AS Levels

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending