The Student Room Group

Potential Optometry Students 2016

Scroll to see replies

Hi guys! I'm a first year optometry student in Cardiff University! If you have any questions I don't mind helping you out =) You can ask here or pm me if you wish :biggrin:
That sounds great! How's it going? Do you think there's any chance of getting a lower offer? And which a Halls are good? Thanks
Hi everyone,

Just thought i'd give you a bit more information about our Optometry course at Hertfordshire University and to respond to some queries :smile:

Places are very competitive! We actually closed a day after clearing so it was really popular!

Our Optometry degree combines theory, research, science and clinical practice from year one. Across all 4 years students will focus on achieving parallel success: as a professional clinician and as a scientist. The programme integrates the pre-registration period within this 4 year masters programme, meaning that upon completion of your degree you will be a fully registered Optometrist (with the opportunity for GOC membership!). We also have a brand new simulation suite including dedicated optometry practice cubicles for everyone to use.

In terms of grades we require at least 340 UCAS points (AAB) including 2 A levels from a science subject.

Hope this helps, do let us know if you have any more questions :smile:

Best wishes,

Rosanna
University of Hertfordshire
Original post by Markray120
That sounds great! How's it going? Do you think there's any chance of getting a lower offer? And which a Halls are good? Thanks

It's tough but fun! I enjoy the clinical aspects much more as it's incredibly interesting and inspiring!

They want 3As but are lenient to people with AAB and ABB grades. Having said that make sure you're predicted 3As as they give majority of their offers to those predictions. Perhaps they give offers to AAB grades but I'm sure it must be exceptionally good in terms of personal statement or work experience but I'm not entirely sure.

As I'm a cardifffian I don't really know what halls are like as I live with my parents. I heard Talybont is good, majority like south but it's your personal preference really and what you want in terms of price, how far away from uni, and if it's quiet or not. Here's a full list of the accommodation at Cardiff it gives you loads of useful info!
http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/for/prospective/accommodation/undergraduates/residences.html

I wish you all the best in writing your personal statement and going through this challenging journey =) Work hard but play hard too! Something Cardiff uni lecturers always say! Anymore questions just make sure you quote me as I won't know otherwise :biggrin:
Thanks for this info - I am predicted 2 As and a B but not sure if I will get it as have A,B,CC at the moment but am resitting a couple of modules. I was thinking of applying for the 4 year access course as my insurance but not sure! I am a Cardiffian too - live in Rhiwbina but don't think I will stay at home - probably need to move out to experience student life, My personal statement is good (ish) I think so will keep my fingers crossed!
Reply 25
Original post by Moonbaby007
wow thats quite a big work load, you know you could simply get into optom at any uni with just bio, chem and maths at AS and A2 level, only i think it may me easier for you to just concentrate on those three subjects. its never too late to drop french and CT. it will save you stress.... just my opinion :smile:

Hey, thanks for the advice (sorry i've only just seen it!) there would be no way my school would have let me drop down to three subjects for AS. I've dropped down to three A2 subjects now, but I got really good AS results, so I did manage to cope with the workload though it was tough! :biggrin:
Original post by Markray120
Thanks for this info - I am predicted 2 As and a B but not sure if I will get it as have A,B,CC at the moment but am resitting a couple of modules. I was thinking of applying for the 4 year access course as my insurance but not sure! I am a Cardiffian too - live in Rhiwbina but don't think I will stay at home - probably need to move out to experience student life, My personal statement is good (ish) I think so will keep my fingers crossed!

Trust me, work hard it'll pay off. I had a u in maths in year 12, resat a few modules, did A2 and was a mark away from A*. It's possible. If you have studied bio or Chem I dont think they'll accept you, however it could be worth a shot. You could also email them and find out more. Hi there fellow ffrindiau! Makes sense! Good luck, =:]
Reply 27
Can anyone suggest what they read surrounding optometry that they mentioned in their PS or at interview? What books are there that would be good?Only have weeks work experience in a specsavers (which was amazing) so a bit worried, have a volunteer position at a charity shop and member of a fundraising charity, think I have a chance? AABC at A/S math biol chem and lit respectively and predicted AAAB At A2 in maths biol WBQ and chem /r/??
Reply 28
Does anyone know which of the following would invite us for interviews before sending out offers?

Manchester
Bradford
London City
Cardiff
Aston

Or could they offer without interviews?

Thanks
Reply 29
Original post by Azzzman
Does anyone know which of the following would invite us for interviews before sending out offers?

Manchester
Bradford
London City
Cardiff
Aston

Thanks

Pretty sure Cardiff and Manchester will interview, city London don't, not sure about the others, but if you select them as choices on UCAS, there should be an orange sentence under the ones that could interview :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are there any books you can recommend for wider reading? I'm a year 13 student, hoping to study Optometry next year!
Has anyone applied yet? If so, where have you applied and have you got any replies yet?
Reply 32
Original post by nusaybahab
Has anyone applied yet? If so, where have you applied and have you got any replies yet?

hey im hoping to apply to hertfordshire, cardiff, city university, manchester and aston. What about you?
Reply 33
Original post by nusaybahab

I applied yesterday to Cardiff, Manchester, London City, Plymouth and Aston and I got an offer from London City today :smile:
Original post by Azzzman

Manchester
Bradford
London City
Cardiff
Aston

Thanks

Manchester always interviews. Cardiff sometimes does, and the others do not.
I didn't get an interview from Cardiff last year but got an offer. :smile:
Original post by AJB123
I applied yesterday to Cardiff, Manchester, London City, Plymouth and Aston and I got an offer from London City today :smile:

Congratulations!!I am going to aim to get mine all submitted by half term, so like in a week or so. I'm applying to Manchester, Cardiff, City Uni London, Aston and Hertfordshire. I would apply to Plymouth, but I already live here so I don't find it exciting to apply, and I kinda want to try somewhere new.
Is Hertfordshire an expensive uni to study at in terms of accommodation etc as it's quite close to London so I was wondering if it's as costly as London?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by charnot1997
Is Hertfordshire an expensive uni to study at in terms of accommodation etc as it's quite close to London so I was wondering if it's as costly as London?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, so the prices range quite a bit so the cheapest rooms are shared rooms costing lowest of about £70ish and the most expensive rooms are studios costing £160. If you have a look on their website they have more information on the pricing and the band's of pricing😊
Original post by University of Hertfordshire
Hi everyone,

Just thought i'd give you a bit more information about our Optometry course at Hertfordshire University and to respond to some queries :smile:

Places are very competitive! We actually closed a day after clearing so it was really popular!

Our Optometry degree combines theory, research, science and clinical practice from year one. Across all 4 years students will focus on achieving parallel success: as a professional clinician and as a scientist. The programme integrates the pre-registration period within this 4 year masters programme, meaning that upon completion of your degree you will be a fully registered Optometrist (with the opportunity for GOC membership!). We also have a brand new simulation suite including dedicated optometry practice cubicles for everyone to use.

In terms of grades we require at least 340 UCAS points (AAB) including 2 A levels from a science subject.

Hope this helps, do let us know if you have any more questions :smile:

Best wishes,

Rosanna
University of Hertfordshire

Does the uni take into account GCSE result when offering places?
Original post by Aubrey_79
Does the uni take into account GCSE result when offering places?

Hi,

Yes we do. We require five GCSEs at grade B or above, including English language, Mathematics and either: Science Double Award or Biology, Physics and Chemistry. You can find more information on the course page.

Hope that helps,

Jerome

Quick Reply

Latest