The Student Room Group

Potential Optometry Students 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BubbleLover98
So on Wednesday, I went to the Cardiff applicant day. I've got to say I really liked the optimetry building and all their facilities. (Personally, it's the best I've seen so far) the optimetry society also hold loads of social events too! :biggrin: so it's not too hands down like some other universities. The city is also nice, you've got everything you need and it's all walking distance. I think I'm going to put it as my firm choice-that's if I don't prefer Aston! Anyways, to those who attended the Aston applicant day this week, how did you find it? 😜

I was also at the Cardiff applicant day on Wednesday and I agree, the facilities look really good!
Original post by HelenS97
I was also at the Cardiff applicant day on Wednesday and I agree, the facilities look really good!

Oh cool! Are you thinking of making it your firm then? 😀
Reply 922
Original post by Jophilip123
did you get AA in the sciences?
congrats btw :smile: x

Thank you! No, it was AAB in english literature, chemistry and biology respectively.
(and also a C in maths but lets not talk about that ahah)
Original post by BubbleLover98
Oh cool! Are you thinking of making it your firm then? 😀

Yes :smile:
Hey everyone :h: Since I read this thread occasionally but have never posted on here I thought I'd let you know how my application process has been. I applied for Plymouth, Aston, Cardiff, ARU and Ulster in late November and received all my offers by January 14th. I was later invited to an interview at Plymouth for an enhanced offer which I attended last Saturday, and on Wednesday I received an unconditional offer from them (which was literally the best birthday present since Plymouth was my first choice haha). I resat year 12 and came out with ABBB, the A was in A2 Product Design and the B's were in AS Biology, Maths & Psychology. Just thought I'd share in case anyone was interested :tongue:
We have already spoken to you by phone to assure you that you performed well on the day. Based on your performance in the group discussion and the interview we have judged that you should thrive on BSc (Hons) Optometry with Plymouth University. We have therefore decided that if you make BSc (Hons) Optometry (B510) at Plymouth University your firm choice with UCAS, your offer of a place would effectively become unconditional as the academic conditions would be waived. Once the non-academic conditions are met, your status would change to unconditional on UCAS (even if this is before you receive any outstanding results) and your place with us would be confirmed.

Guy does this literally mean that if I put them as my firm I would receive an unconditional offer from Plymouth?
So nervous for my Herts interview
If it starts at 12 what time does it finish
And can parents come

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PurpleJag
I had mine today how did yours go?

How long was it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TaraAndZara
Hey everyone :h: Since I read this thread occasionally but have never posted on here I thought I'd let you know how my application process has been. I applied for Plymouth, Aston, Cardiff, ARU and Ulster in late November and received all my offers by January 14th. I was later invited to an interview at Plymouth for an enhanced offer which I attended last Saturday, and on Wednesday I received an unconditional offer from them (which was literally the best birthday present since Plymouth was my first choice haha). I resat year 12 and came out with ABBB, the A was in A2 Product Design and the B's were in AS Biology, Maths & Psychology. Just thought I'd share in case anyone was interested :tongue:

Hey! Please can you give me advice about firm and insurance choices?

Plymouth emailed me that they would give me an unconditional offer if I put them as firm! I am happy and I am very grateful for this. However my first choice university is actually City Uni London and I need to get 360 ucas points where I need to have 2As in either maths, chemistry or biology. I really have no clue what to do. I either take a risk and make City Uni London as my conditional firm place and plymouth as my insurance. Or I just Plymouth as my firm choice and I go there. However I prefer City because the facililities are good and it's literally an hour away by car.

I got ABBB for AS and I'm predicted 3 As and I'm honestly not sure if I can achieve them. Like I said before, City wants 360 ucas points included my dropped AS subject which I got a grade B.

I really don't know what to do. So please help me.
Hi All, hope A-levels are going good for everyone, was just gonna ask...(not too sure if this has been mentioned before) does anyone know if this Bradford Applicant Day 20 UCAS points ONLY apply if you have Bradford as your firm? Like seriously, I'd doubt they would give you 20 UCAS point if you have them as your insurance?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
:unimpressed: :badger:
Original post by Lovemonkey
Hey! Please can you give me advice about firm and insurance choices?

Plymouth emailed me that they would give me an unconditional offer if I put them as firm! I am happy and I am very grateful for this. However my first choice university is actually City Uni London and I need to get 360 ucas points where I need to have 2As in either maths, chemistry or biology. I really have no clue what to do. I either take a risk and make City Uni London as my conditional firm place and plymouth as my insurance. Or I just Plymouth as my firm choice and I go there. However I prefer City because the facililities are good and it's literally an hour away by car.

I got ABBB for AS and I'm predicted 3 As and I'm honestly not sure if I can achieve them. Like I said before, City wants 360 ucas points included my dropped AS subject which I got a grade B.

I really don't know what to do. So please help me.

Hey :h: I think that's a really tough decision and you're just gonna have to weigh out the pros and cons of both. Based on what you've told me, if you were to firm City,
Pros:
- Close to home
- Facilities are better
Cons:
- Difficult to achieve entry grades

If you were to firm Plymouth:
Pros:
- Unconditional offer
Cons:
- Far from home
- Facilities not as great
- May regret not firming City if you end up achieving the grades they wanted

If you were make a decision based on that, the obvious answer would be to firm City since there seems to be more pros for that and more cons for firming Plymouth. But of course at the end of the day it's up to you, decide what will make you happy :smile:
Original post by justwantunihelp
Hi All, hope A-levels are going good for everyone, was just gonna ask...(not too sure if this has been mentioned before) does anyone know if this Bradford Applicant Day 20 UCAS points ONLY apply if you have Bradford as your firm? Like seriously, I'd doubt they would give you 20 UCAS point if you have them as your insurance?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
:unimpressed: :badger:

Hey, first year Optom at UoM here. I went to the Bradford open day and they do reduce your offer by 20 UCAS points (to ABB) regardless of whether you put them as your firm or insurance choice (I put them as insurance). However, let's say you do happen to get worse than ABB.. Bradford will look more favourably upon those who selected them as their firm, than those who put them as insurance. But if you go to the open day, your offer will definitely be reduced by 20 UCAS points. You sign a register upon arrival and sign another register before leaving (so you stay there for the whole thing lol). A few days later it will update on your UCAS.

Hope that helps.
hey guys, i basically have a dilemma..
i was thinking if firming aston for the offer AAB (they said if u firm they will change from AAA to AAB)
however for my insurance i was thinking of insuring city as it closer to my house which is AAA.
as my potential insurance is higher than my firm in terms of their entry requirements i heard that ucas won't allow me to put that as my insurance?
does anyone know anything about this?
Original post by Jophilip123
hey guys, i basically have a dilemma..
i was thinking if firming aston for the offer AAB (they said if u firm they will change from AAA to AAB)
however for my insurance i was thinking of insuring city as it closer to my house which is AAA.
as my potential insurance is higher than my firm in terms of their entry requirements i heard that ucas won't allow me to put that as my insurance?
does anyone know anything about this?

Doesn't City wants 360 Ucas points including your dropped AS subject?
it says 360 from 3 Alevels

Doesn't City wants 360 Ucas points including your dropped AS subject?
Original post by Rick_G
on the door side of the room in front of the interviewers :smile:

Hey have you heard back from Herts yet?
@bioloves

Mine was about an hour long and you can bring parents if you want to :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey guys I'm still stuck on what to do with firm/insurance as I'm predicted BBB and I've been offered from Anglia Ruskin, Bradford and Plymouth (AAB other than Plymouth AAA) and foundation at City - So I guess they're all quite ridiculous for me to put down but I'm glad I got offered in the first place.

I live in London so I guess they're all quite far from home except Plymouth lol.

Does anyone know what the best uni would be in terms of being lenient/ facilities/ life etc.

I feel like I might need to go on a couple more open days :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys, is anyone going to the Manchester interview on the 10th Feb? Kinda nervous for it :/
(edited 8 years ago)
We have already spoken to you by phone to assure you that you performed well on the day. Based on your performance in the group discussion and the interview we have judged that you should thrive on BSc (Hons) Optometry with Plymouth University. We have therefore decided that if you make BSc (Hons) Optometry (B510) at Plymouth University your firm choice with UCAS, your offer of a place would effectively become unconditional as the academic conditions would be waived. Once the non-academic conditions are met, your status would change to unconditional on UCAS (even if this is before you receive any outstanding results) and your place with us would be confirmed.

Guy does this literally mean that if I put them as my firm I would receive an unconditional offer from Plymouth?

Congrats :smile:

If you don't mind me asking, what types of questions did they ask?
Also, did you take part in a group discussion?

Quick Reply

Latest