The Student Room Group

Potential Optometry Students 2016

Scroll to see replies

Yes, thank you for saying when you got an offer
Plymouth don't offer a masters degree in optometry... Does anyone know if there's anywhere I can go after to do a masters? And is it worth doing? :smile: thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 82
Original post by NatalieDunn89
Plymouth don't offer a masters degree in optometry... Does anyone know if there's anywhere I can go after to do a masters? And is it worth doing? :smile: thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Manchester do. But they have 4 places :frown:
Original post by University of Hertfordshire
Hi everyone,

Just thought i'd give you a bit more information about our Optometry course at Hertfordshire University and to respond to some queries :smile:

Places are very competitive! We actually closed a day after clearing so it was really popular!

Our Optometry degree combines theory, research, science and clinical practice from year one. Across all 4 years students will focus on achieving parallel success: as a professional clinician and as a scientist. The programme integrates the pre-registration period within this 4 year masters programme, meaning that upon completion of your degree you will be a fully registered Optometrist (with the opportunity for GOC membership!). We also have a brand new simulation suite including dedicated optometry practice cubicles for everyone to use.

In terms of grades we require at least 340 UCAS points (AAB) including 2 A levels from a science subject.

Hope this helps, do let us know if you have any more questions :smile:

Best wishes,

Rosanna
University of Hertfordshire

Hi Rosanna,
I'm consider Hertfordshire this year for Optometry, I see on the website it says that you accept Access to HE courses in Science. I was wondering what the average expected results are for that?
Thanks in advance
Original post by University of Bradford
I've had a quick scan through this thread and I'm happy to see a few of you are considering Optometry at the University of Bradford. If any of you have any specific queries relating to our course, University or even City please do get in touch. I'm also more than happy to provide information and advice relating to the UCAS application process :smile:

Hi
I am planning on firming Bradford if offered the place.
When do you starting sending out offers?
Whats your policy on resits?
I got invited to an interview next week at Hertfordshire Univeristy!! :biggrin:
Original post by BubbleLover98

Congratulations!! Have you received any other offers/interviews?
When do Bradford start sending offers out?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HelenS97
Congratulations!! Have you received any other offers/interviews?

Thanks and just Anglia Ruskin! Cardiff and Manchester sent me an email saying they're considering my application. Haven't heard anything from Aston though! What about you?
Thanks and just Anglia Ruskin! Cardiff and Manchester sent me an email saying they're considering my application. Haven't heard anything from Aston though! What about you?

I applied early on last year and Aston and Cardiff took the longest to respond, Cardiff being the last of the lot. I've applied to Aston again this year and the wait is killing me already haha :frown:

That sounds quite similar to me. I have had an offer from Anglia Ruskin and an interview for Manchester but haven't heard from Aston
Original post by NatalieDunn89

Posted from TSR Mobile

The masters in my opinion isn't worth doing. It doesn't really add anything in terms of your future career. :tongue:
Reply 92

Congrats! I have been invited to an interview next week too at Hertfordshire University! The only thing is, it's a 2 hour slot and I'm not sure what type of interview it will be. Do you have any idea?
Hi offers will be going out very soon with an invite to an Applicant Experience Day. This will be your chance to meet staff and students, take part in an optometry quiz to test your knowledge and have a look around our facilities. If you attend and complete all the activities we will give you 20 points towards your offer to study at Bradford. Further information can be found on our website: http://www.brad.ac.uk/life-sciences/optometry-and-vision-science/avd/Hope this helps. If you have any other questions just get in touch! :smile:

Original post by Aubrey_79
Hi
I am planning on firming Bradford if offered the place.
When do you starting sending out offers?
Whats your policy on resits?
Hi offers will be going out very soon with an invite to an Applicant Experience Day. This will be your chance to meet staff and students, take part in an optometry quiz to test your knowledge and have a look around our facilities. If you attend and complete all the activities we will give you 20 points towards your offer to study at Bradford. Further information can be found on our website: http://www.brad.ac.uk/life-sciences/optometry-and-vision-science/avd/Hope this helps. If you have any other questions just get in touch! :smile:

What's the optometry quiz ? Will it affect our chances in getting in if we don't do as well?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ASB_98
Congrats! I have been invited to an interview next week too at Hertfordshire University! The only thing is, it's a 2 hour slot and I'm not sure what type of interview it will be. Do you have any idea?

Awesome, good luck!! Mines at 2pm, when's yours?! And yeah, I think it's a 1 hour group interview where you'll be asked about your interest in optomery and skills you need. I hope it's not too formal though! And then the next hour, you get to look around and meet the optometry staff.
Reply 96
Awesome, good luck!! Mines at 2pm, when's yours?! And yeah, I think it's a 1 hour group interview where you'll be asked about your interest in optomery and skills you need. I hope it's not too formal though! And then the next hour, you get to look around and meet the optometry staff.

Mine is at 2pm too! Thursday the 12th, what day is yours? I'm coming from Scotland! Oh really, that makes me feel a bit better, how did you find out? I hope it goes well, good luck to you :smile:

Is the 20 points given regardless of the outcome of the quiz?
Will applicants be considered depending on the outcome of the quiz?
Thanks
Original post by ASB_98
Mine is at 2pm too! Thursday the 12th, what day is yours? I'm coming from Scotland! Oh really, that makes me feel a bit better, how did you find out? I hope it goes well, good luck to you :smile:

Mine is on Thursday as well!! I might see you there šŸ˜„ I'm coming from North Wales so quite far but not as far as Scotland šŸ˜® and I got an email sent to me, just briefly discussing how the interview will take place. (Wasn't really much info though) I'm quite nervous but excited to see the uni!!
Mine is on Thursday as well!! I might see you there šŸ˜„ I'm coming from North Wales so quite far but not as far as Scotland šŸ˜® and I got an email sent to me, just briefly discussing how the interview will take place. (Wasn't really much info though) I'm quite nervous but excited to see the uni!!

Crikey - we will all be there at 2 o'clock on Thursday!! I am coming from Cardiff! See you all there!!

Quick Reply

Latest