The Student Room Group

Muslim gunmen massacre 28 innocent civilians.

The slaughter of 28 people on a bus in Kenya is a bid to start a religious war.

At dawn on Saturday, al-Shabab gunmen attacked the bus in northern Kenya, shooting dead non-Muslim passengers.
The Somalia-based Islamist group has carried out numerous attacks across Kenya since 2011.

Gunmen separated out non-Muslims by asking passengers to read from the Koran, officials and witnesses said. Those who failed were then shot in the head.

Full story: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-30160199
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

There's no proof they were muslims though.
Reply 2
And God said: no it is not enough for them to have a crap climate!
Reply 3
Original post by Skip_Snip
There's no proof they were muslims though.

Except for them separating and shooting non-muslims, and a muslim faction admitting to it?
Original post by Arkasia
Except for them separating and shooting non-muslims, and a muslim faction admitting to it?

But by doing that they automatically stop being muslims ... or something :rolleyes:
Reply 5
But by doing that they automatically stop being muslims ... or something :rolleyes:

But...but they weren't Muslims in the first place because they clearly misinterpreted the perfect book, remember :confused:
Original post by Arkasia

He's being sarcastic..

..I always wonder though, is this such a great litmus test? I mean do they need to recite the verse 100% accurately? You could be a really pious Muslim but the stress of the situation makes you brain go blank, or you remember 4 out of 5 sentences but forget the last one.

I've worked at the same place for ages, but occasionally I'll go blank on its post code.
Original post by Arkasia
But...but they weren't Muslims in the first place because they clearly misinterpreted the perfect book, remember :confused:

Oh yeah ... I forget these things can happen, as perfect timeless books can have a lot of interpretations, apparently!
Of course, the first word you use to describe them is Muslim.
Original post by Chlorophile

Well, that was their motive. If a white guy killed lots of black people, it'd say "racist gunman".

Given that this was actually religiously motivated, how is it not relevant to call them Muslim?
Reply 11
Oh yeah ... I forget these things can happen, as perfect timeless books can have a lot of interpretations, apparently!

They have multiple interpretations, but we must remember that only the modernized western version that picks and chooses what to listen to is correct - the rest are clearly just 'twisting it', unlike the enlightened internet gurus.

It might be because they are?
Original post by Wahid-r
Given that this was actually religiously motivated, how is it not relevant to call them Muslim?

Well, that was their motive. If a white guy killed lots of black people, it'd say "racist gunman".

Yet another excuse for people to parade their islamophobia. Nobody would care about these things if it didn't give them an excuse to moan about how evil Islam is.
Humanity continues to disappoint
Reply 14
Original post by joey11223
He's being sarcastic..

..I always wonder though, is this such a great litmus test? I mean do they need to recite the verse 100% accurately? You could be a really pious Muslim but the stress of the situation makes you brain go blank, or you remember 4 out of 5 sentences but forget the last one.

I've worked at the same place for ages, but occasionally I'll go blank on its post code.

I remember reading 'The Crucible' a few years ago and there was a scene where John Proctor (protagonist) was asked to repeat the Ten Commandments. He could only say 8 or 9, and as such was seen as a radical or a non-Christian. This reminds me of that.

Plus, if there is a psycho religious nutjob pointing a gun at me and his mates are shooting fellow passengers in the background, I am pretty sure I would find it hard to focus on Qu'ran passages.
Yet another excuse for people to parade their islamophobia. Nobody would care about these things if it didn't give them an excuse to moan about how evil Islam is.

Lol so the only way a person is not Islamophobic is if they pretend like Islam isn't responsible for any sort of evil that occurs and is a great religion? Am I close?
They aren't real Muslims, they have the wrong interpretation, this has nothing to do with Islam etc etc
Reply 17

It is equally valid for me to state that you are just trying to excuse these acts because you don't want people to notice or criticize the followers of a religion that never ceases to revel in bloodshed.

I guess no-one cared about Columbine, Utoya or any other massacres, because the people carrying them out weren't muslim.

Oh wait, people do care.

Kinda agree. So many times these threads lead to "ALL Muslims are this...ALL Muslims believe this etc." and descends into bigoted sensationalism.

Although, this was religiously motivated, it is relevant to mention this foremost.
Original post by Arkasia
It is equally valid for me to state that you are just trying to excuse these acts because you don't want people to notice or criticize the followers of a religion that never ceases to revel in bloodshed.

I guess no-one cared about Columbine, Utoya or any other massacres, because the people carrying them out weren't muslim.

Oh wait, people do care.

People cared about Columbine because it was a brilliant excuse for people to bash a minority, this time socially reclusive goths rather than Muslims. People cared about Utoya but surprisingly few people cared and drew attention to the fact that Breivik was a right wing extremist Christian. There were surprisingly fewer people claiming that Christianity is evil and denouncing all Christians, despite the fact that Breivik claimed he was acting in the name of God.

Original post by Wahid-r
Lol so the only way a person is not Islamophobic is if they pretend like Islam isn't responsible for any sort of evil that occurs and is a great religion? Am I close?

'Islam' isn't responsible for anything. Unless you believe in Allah who is somehow demoniacally possessing all of these people, I think we can say with fairly high confidence that it is not Islam doing this. This is the fault of the idiots who carried out this attack and them alone. Don't try to spin this into a general attack on Islam.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending