The Student Room Group

UK β€˜mercenaries’ fighting Islamic State terrorist forces in Syria

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/nov/22/uk-mercenaries-fighting-islamic-state-terrorist-syria

Former infantryman James Hughes from Reading, and Jamie Read from Lanarkshire, are said to be in Rojava, northern Syria among other Britons fighting ISIS

I wish them the best of luck.

If there ever was a "just war" this side of the year 2000, this is one of them.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Wait so will they be stopped be entering the UK when they come back, or is that ruling just for Muslims?
Reply 2
Original post by HAnwar
Wait so will they be stopped be entering the UK when they come back, or is that ruling just for Muslims?

There is no ruling on Muslims being stopped from re-entering the UK, only those who fight for ISIS.

Although the Home Office states that taking part in a conflict overseas could be an offence under both criminal and anti-terrorism laws, it clarifies: β€œUK law makes provisions to deal with different conflicts in different ways – fighting in a foreign war is not automatically an offence but will depend on the nature of the conflict and the individual’s own activities.”
When Cameron was asked in September how volunteers with the Kurdish authorities and Isis fighters could be identified when returning to the UK, he said that β€œhighly trained border staff, police and intelligence services” would be able to discern the difference between Islamic extremists and those fighting them.
The prime minister recently outlined new powers to prevent British jihadis from returning to the UK unless they agreed to strict controls.

Muslims fighting ISIS will be exempt, along with anyone else who combats ISIS.
Reply 3
I've no idea of these specific guys motives but *if* they're vets who've seen how much the Kurds helped UK forces only to be left to be slaughtered then they could well be amongst the most principled soldiers this country has produced in a very long time.
Reply 4
Original post by 0fcuksgiven
There is no ruling on Muslims being stopped from re-entering the UK, only those who fight for ISIS.

Take a brief look at this article

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30041923

All I'm seeing here is

'David Cameron said the special exclusion orders - which could last for two years or more - would bar suspected fighters from entering the UK unless they agreed to strict controls'

and

'Police and some border officers will also be given the power to seize passports if they have reasonable suspicion that someone is travelling abroad for terror-related activity'

but no sense or proof or any evidence whatsoever.

Although the Home Office states that taking part in a conflict overseas could be an offence under both criminal and anti-terrorism laws, it clarifies: β€œUK law makes provisions to deal with different conflicts in different ways – fighting in a foreign war is not automatically an offence but will depend on the nature of the conflict and the individual’s own activities.”

They mean when it'll suit them best (the government)

When Cameron was asked in September how volunteers with the Kurdish authorities and Isis fighters could be identified when returning to the UK, he said that β€œhighly trained border staff, police and intelligence services” would be able to discern the difference between Islamic extremists and those fighting them.
The prime minister recently outlined new powers to prevent British jihadis from returning to the UK unless they agreed to strict controls.

Do these people have to agree to strict controls as well? How do we know they're not just going to go there to kill whoever they feel like?
Reply 5
Original post by HAnwar
Take a brief look at this article

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30041923

All I'm seeing here is

'David Cameron said the special exclusion orders - which could last for two years or more - would bar suspected fighters from entering the UK unless they agreed to strict controls'

and

'Police and some border officers will also be given the power to seize passports if they have reasonable suspicion that someone is travelling abroad for terror-related activity'

but no sense or proof or any evidence whatsoever.

They mean when it'll suit them best (the government)

Do these people have to agree to strict controls as well? How do we know they're not just going to go there to kill whoever they feel like?

Yes, if they went abroad for 'terror-related activity' - meaning joining the terror group. Those who fight for ISIS are barred, those who don't, aren't.
Original post by HAnwar

Yes, why should we treat the people fighting against the group we're at war with differently to the ones in the terrorist group? :rolleyes:
Reply 7
Original post by Arkasia
Yes, if they went abroad for 'terror-related activity' - meaning joining the terror group. Those who fight for ISIS are barred, those who don't, aren't.

But if there's no evidence just suspicion, then how is that enough to bar them?
Reply 8
Original post by tengentoppa
Yes, why should we treat the people fighting against the group we're at war with differently to the ones in the terrorist group? :rolleyes:

How do we know if a Muslim is going to fight abroad they will definitely be fighting alongside a terrorist?
Reply 9
Original post by HAnwar
How do we know if a Muslim is going to fight abroad they will definitely be fighting alongside a terrorist?

I'll leave that problem to MI6.
Original post by HAnwar

I never said they were. The only ones being stopped are those who have joined ISIS.

If you have gone in a humanitarian role-you will be registered by your charity.
If you have gone to fight against ISIS-that will also have to be reported or confirmed in some way.

So the only ones being treated differently are the Muslims fighting with ISIS, and I see nothing wrong with treating them differently.
Reply 11
Original post by Collaborator
I'll leave that problem to MI6.

The answer's simply. We don't.
Reply 12
Original post by tengentoppa
I never said they were. The only ones being stopped are those who have joined ISIS.

If you have gone in a humanitarian role-you will be registered by your charity.
If you have gone to fight against ISIS-that will also have to be reported or confirmed in some way.

So the only ones being treated differently are the Muslims fighting with ISIS, and I see nothing wrong with treating them differently.

Yes but the problem is the government 9/10 times will make it seem like a Muslim travelling to Syria is going there to fight with ISIS.
Original post by HAnwar
Yes but the problem is the government 9/10 times will make it seem like a Muslim travelling to Syria is going there to fight with ISIS.

What rubbish

Hundreds of Muslims of gone there and back on humanitarian missions with charities and have not been arrested for conspiring with ISIS. I know several who have come back with no problems. You've been reading to much into the anti-establishment literature that has been going around. The government does not view all foreign Muslims as terrorists. Provide documented proof, or keep your tin hat conspiracies to yourself.
(edited 9 years ago)
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/nov/22/uk-mercenaries-fighting-islamic-state-terrorist-syria

Former infantryman James Hughes from Reading, and Jamie Read from Lanarkshire, are said to be in Rojava, northern Syria among other Britons fighting ISIS

I wish them the best of luck.

If there ever was a "just war" this side of the year 2000, this is one of them.

As though this whole ordeal couldn't become more haphazard, we are now supporting mercenaries in a war.

Now it begs the question of what difference is there between these men and those who went to Syria to fight against Assad's regime.
Original post by getfunky!
As though this whole ordeal couldn't become more haphazard, we are now supporting mercenaries in a war.

Now it begs the question of what difference is there between these men and those who went to Syria to fight against Assad's regime.

We've been using mercenaries for eons. As long as their intentions are pure and they obey military law, I don't have a problem with people being paid to fight ISIS by the Kurds. I'd rather have trained infanteers fighting for the Kurds who know international law, than a few EDL members being paid cash in hand to kill a few Muslims anyway.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by HAnwar

You may want some ISIS terrorists walking our streets but we don't. Go away.
Original post by HAnwar

You have no basis for that claim.
Reply 18
What rubbish

Hundreds of Muslims of gone there and back on humanitarian missions with charities and have not been arrested for conspiring with ISIS. I know several who have come back with no problems. You've been reading to much into the anti-establishment literature that has been going around. The government does not view all foreign Muslims as terrorists. Provide documented proof, or keep your tin hat conspiracies to yourself.

I'm sure you can enquire into these cases yourself. There are cases when a Muslim girl runs away, it is seemed most likely and assumptions are made she has gone off to fight in Syria to fight with ISIS, although there is insufficient evidence.

And I personally know someone who was falsely accused and arrested due to this.
Reply 19
Original post by The Juan
You may want some ISIS terrorists walking our streets but we don't. Go away.

Lol did you even bother to read my other replies or did you just 'assume' that?

Quick Reply

Latest