The Student Room Group

Year 12 work experience

We have to do our year 12 work experience soon, and I've found something I'm interested in (a play team at a local NHS hospital) but I can't find much information on work experience for them. Are you supposed to ask for a specific area for work experience, what kind of things would you do and will they actually let you do things like that or not? (Sorry if these questions seem stupid, I'm kind of clueless on this right now!)
For me, I chose my department with the NHS (A&E) and I emailed one of the consulting doctors for work experience and my reasons for it and she emailed me back a form to fill in (this was a little bit unconventional as I had been in A&E the day before so I didn't give her a CV or anything)
Most work experience placements will require you to give them a CV and a cover letter (very simple to write) and usually you would (according to what my friends have done) email a specific department and the head of the dept.
With NHS, most of it is shadowing consultants/junior docs, there were a number of things I couldn't do as I didn't have the experience or skills but I did get to do things like tests with blood samples and ebola training.
Whatever the limitations are for performing tasks with your work exp though, it's a great opportunity to ask people questions and the reasons why they're doing their job and other questions that you could ask for your UCAS personal statement/interviews.
Reply 2
Thanks for your help! I'm going to try emailing them at some point, would you just go straight into it saying you want to do work experience and then why you want to do it and things like that?

Quick Reply

Latest